25 year warranty, problems next day

Cosd

So I have bought two stainless steel radiators for the family bathroom, and the day after they are fitted we notice a white powdery mark on the dark tiles beneath one of the radiators. To cut a long story short, it looks like a weld has failed and there is a tiny loss of water. They boast a 25 year warranty so it's no big deal.

I've been chasing the company I bought them from (Heat and Plumb) and they keep telling me that they are waiting for the manufacturer (Reina) to come back to them regards replacement. In the mean while I've taken pictures as requested and emailed them.

104D90C5-7AB0-49E3-BC44-CC5CDE8C7D68.jpg

I get a text yesterday telling me that they are sending me a water testing kit which I need to send back to them before they replace. I called them up and argued that this is a day old after fitting but they argued that they delivered them in April. I explained these came prior to my bathroom starting refurbishment and that the leak was noticed the day after the plumbers completed the install. I also argued that how does a stainless steel radiator corode in such a short space of time even if it was fitted in April and they said that my system should have the correct amount of inhibitor in the system.

To say I'm fuming with their stance is an understatement.

What to do?

Edited by Cosd

I had this with one from screw fix, the firm who supply screw fix called me and asked to speak to the plumber, etc etc,

I said I am the bleddy plumber, I want the rad changing asap, I bought it from screw fix and not you so I want a replacement now,

No problem sir we'll send out a replacement tommorow was the kids reply,

Don't have it mate, its not fit for purpose and tell them your not wasting your time with testing kits etc etc,

Flynny

They will ALWAYS blame the water treatment or lack thereof - everything is always the fault of the water chemistry, from corroding radiators to late trains and Arsenal losing at home to Fulham.

A radiator that leaks less than a week after installation is patently not of "merchantable quality" - unless you are running your radiators full of descaling acid, the water chemistry really isn't relevant over that short time.

As stated above, your contract is with the vendor, so it is *their* problem.

just out of interest.......put a magnet on the radiator...to see if they are stainless steel..............(stainless is non magnetic)

just tried a SnapOn magnetic tray on it with very strong magnets and nothing. It doesn't stick at all.

Reina are a good company from my experience recently I I'm a plumbing and heating engineer. a client of mine had a towle rail in the bathroom where a similar joint fault happened they were 5 years old and got a new one sent out for us although there 3 to 5 working days was more like 10 days. Just don't be fobbed off by the middle man who you bough from.

Straight to trading standards and get it recorded if you think you are getting the runaround. Its nothing to do with the manufacturer, all faults are the liability of the company that sold it to you. They will probably say it was damaged while fitting and they could be right

Edited by Vince Green

Just make sure the sample has plenty of fernox or sentinel or mc1 in it and send it back. As I said don't be fobbed off by the middle man this is a weld failure and to be honest not that uncommon the way thease things get tossed around in delivery.

I had a problem last year with a ceramic sink bought from amazon. Amazon washed their hands as the problem was nor 'part of the delivery' and the manufacturer told us that it hadn't been mounted properly. Ultimately we used the Which Magazine subscription, called their legal department, and they gave us a pretty nice template letter to send. 2 days laters, the MD of that company called me apologize and to organize sending me a replacement free of charges. Needless to say, the subscription to the magazine paid for itself just on that one...

Just to clarify nothing was damaged during fitting nor transport. I received theboxes personally, they were plastic wrapped and no damage to the rads. They also had polystyrene protection.

Yes as it was for me, so I couldn't claim it was shipping damage, therefore amazon washed their hands of the problem.

I had a problem last year with a ceramic sink bought from amazon. Amazon washed their hands as the problem was nor 'part of the delivery' and the manufacturer told us that it hadn't been mounted properly. Ultimately we used the Which Magazine subscription, called their legal department, and they gave us a pretty nice template letter to send. 2 days laters, the MD of that company called me apologize and to organize sending me a replacement free of charges. Needless to say, the subscription to the magazine paid for itself just on that one...

Any chance of a copy of that letter?

Cheers

As said - it has nothing to do with the manufacturer at all - your contract is with the seller. Take them off ( they will have to come off anyway) and take them back and demand a full refund. Tell them that this is their one chance to honour their legal obligation and that a refusal will result in court action and they will end up paying costs. As for water samples....it's stainless steel :no:

Not all stainless is non magnetic some is ferrous

the fack that this is non magnetic shows it is a high grade stainless and shouldnt corrode at all in theory you could run tap water through it without any issue

yes quite right..............i think it is leaking from looking at the pics at a joint ........i imajine it has been braized.....might not have got it hot enough to run the bronze......and had an inclusion of flux which has now melted out thus a leak....