The book or the film?

Scully

Not wanting to hijack another thread, and enjoying a good read just as much as a good film, I just wondered which books PW'ers have read which were just as good as the film, or better, or have found the reverse to be true.

I really enjoyed 'No Country for Old Men' and found the book to be scene by scene and almost word for word as the film, with one slight exception which consisted of less than one page if I recall.

The book 'Piece of Cake' is without doubt one of the best war books I've read, but the movie was dire, and the book on which the film 'Lawless' was based was very slow and ploddingly laborious by comparison, and at times I couldn't believe the two were connected, but nevertheless still worth reading as it was a true story. I would however, watch the film again any time, but doubt I would ever read the book again. I have books I have literally read more than a dozen times.

By far I think the worst recent book on which the film was based was 'Lone Survivor'. Couldn't wait to finish it, but then I'm not a great fan of the 'God and Country' mentality, so that could be why.

For those who like a western, 'Gone to Texas' is the book on which 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' was based, and well worth a read.

The 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy blew me away at the cinema as I'd been itching for someone who could do them justice on the big screen since I read the books while still a lad at school, and for me the films more than excelled at out doing the books.

I've read many books from Thomas Hardys' 'Far from the Madding Crowd' to John Wyndhams 'The Kraken Wake' and 'Day of the Triffids' to 'Shane', 'A Clockwork Orange' and many in between, but have predominantly felt the books outshone the films, but that doesn't seem to be the case nowadays.

'Catch 22' was very good, and I would be equally ready to read the book again as I would watch the film.

I found Mario Puzos' 'The Godfather' a huge disappointment, and felt at one time he was overly obsessed with a particular female characters collapsed plumbing.

I can't think of one book based on the screenplay of the film, and as a result written purely to cash in on the film ( The Deerhunter springs to mind ) which was ever worth reading.

Anyhow, just a thought.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin upsets more more than any other film adaptation! The book is exquisite, but the movie was a real hatchet job. Depressingly Louis De Bernieres thought the changes were acceptable. If I'd have been in his shoes, I'd have drowned Nicholas Cage in the Adriatic smartish

Good post. I can't stand comments about how, "the book's sooo much better" that don't recognise the fact different media work differently.

That said, for me the Jack Reacher film was such a disappointment. I'm not so blinkered that I can't acknowledge Tom Cruise has done some excellent stuff, but the butchering of that book was criminal when you consider that with the right casting the Reacher books could have been a very successful and enjoyable little franchise.

Any Stephen King.

The books are great but they always seem to make the films ridiculously hammy (Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me being exceptions)

I've read most Stephen Kings and would have to agree on the whole. 'IT' the movie was a very poor interpretation of the book, even Tim Curry couldn't save it. :no:

has anyone read Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park leaves a lot to be desired. I've not read it, but the film is in my top 5 movies, so I'm reticent to! has anyone read it?

It`s very good. Different to the film but well worth reading. But that goes for most, if not all, of Crichton`s work.

Any Stephen King.

The books are great but they always seem to make the films ridiculously hammy (Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me being exceptions)

The Green Mile is an excellent read

And whilst not a film Game of Thrones series of books is also very good

:shaun:

I read the novelisation of the film 'Caddyshack', and I would say that the book and the film are probably equally good.

Joking aside, I've never seen the film version of 'The Magus', but the book is one of my all-time favourites. I hear the film is an absolute stinker, and I dare not watch it.

Lord 'Barry Norman' Seagrave

Any Stephen King.

Most of the films are churned out straight to TV, there are a fair few exceptions, but in the main they're pretty cheap and it shows, I do like the different ending in "The Mist" though, won't spoil it in case you haven't seen it, but it's worth watching just for the ending. The same can't be said for "Dreamcatcher", that one had me shouting at the TV.

Best film based on one of his books is "The Shining" in my opinion, but then it was directed by Kubrick and I'm a big fan of his, Stephen King hates it though, it was made early on when he didn't have the clout to have it made entirely under his control, he made his own version as a TV mini series later on, it was terrible....

The less said about the film "The Running Man" the better, the book actually has a plot, was somewhat lacking from the film, though it was mildly entertaining as a vehicle for Schwarzenegger.

Edited by Jamesey1981

I read the novelisation of the film 'Caddyshack', and I would say that the book and the film are probably equally good.

Joking aside, I've never seen the film version of 'The Magus', but the book is one of my all-time favourites. I hear the film is an absolute stinker, and I dare not watch it.

Lord 'Barry Norman' Seagrave

Yes Barry the Magus is also one of my all time favourite books but the film was poor, the same applies to catch 22,

island "often wrong but" gun

Enjoyed 'Silence of the Lambs' in both genres immensely, ditto for 'Red Dragon'; the one with Brian Cox as Lechter, and 'The Abyss' is well worth a read also but the alternative ending in the directors cut version of the film is embarrassingly corny and spoils what is an otherwise very good film.

Schindlers Arc the book Schindlers list is based on. The book was superb and after reading it, it's surprising how anyone can make head or tail of the film.

Lee Childs Jack Reacher book the Film was based on was very close to the book, that's the only one I can remember being as close. Any Wilbur Smith or Clive Cussler books turned into films were ruined.

Imo any book that is based on "characters" is usually better than the film, because the actual actors rarely live up to my imagination of the characters in the book.

Films that are based on books, but major on special effects, like Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc., are usually better than the books, because the film can create some shocks and images better than the imagination (the shark appearing in Jaws is a classic example).

I read many more books than I watch films and avoid seeing a film when I have enjoyed the book.

Imo any book that is based on "characters" is usually better than the film, because the actual actors rarely live up to my imagination of the characters in the book.

Films that are based on books, but major on special effects, like Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc., are usually better than the books, because the film can create some shocks and images better than the imagination (the shark appearing in Jaws is a classic example).

I read many more books than I watch films and avoid seeing a film when I have enjoyed the book.

A good observation. Modern day special effects can create awe inspiring scenes. Peter Benchleys' 'Jaws' is a good example also. The book isn't that good to be honest, and quite different from the film.

I think 'The Deep' was also made into a film off the back of the success of another of his novels, and was equally disappointing as the film; the only highlight being Jacqueline Bissets wet t-shirt scene. :yes: