My HW110

chrisjpainter

Well, despite opinions on here from people who aren't keen on it, I went for a new HW110 and here it is. It's teamed up with a Hawke Airmax SF30 3-12x50 and so far it has impressed me. This isn't really a baby HW100; it's a completely new gun. It's the same length as the 100k, but has the same shot capacity as the 100, thanks to a completely reworked block, which is now shorter and made of a polymer to save weight. It's also got an upgraded regulator which is supposed to be slightly more efficient, but as I haven't had an HW100 before, I'm not the best person to ask about that! It does seem extremely consistent thus far, despite being brand new. In time I'll give it a run over the chrono and might report back with some numbers on that. They've also made the change to a picatinny rail instead of the standard dovetail rail, presumably as dovetails might be too delicate for the polymer to cope with.

post-26888-0-60432300-1466171261_thumb.jpg

An all new PCP - it's not a baby HW100! (apparently)

The HW110 came up as 9lb 10oz (4.4kg) scoped up with the pretty heavy Airmax. That equates to 4oz heavier than my S510 carbine when it's got a smaller, lighter scope, so it's not that light, but it is very well balanced. However it is considerably shorter, which will make avoiding knocks on pillars and rails slightly easier!

post-26888-0-35878200-1466171216_thumb.jpg

The length is 38.5", compared to 45.5" for the S510. moving in and around buildings is going to be much easier with this!

There are some features I'm not so keen on. I would like to lose the slightly bling-like safety catch and magazine catch. I'd prefer it all black for a bit of consistency, but I'm sure I can find a way to do that. Loading the mag will take a bit of time to get used to as it's a touch fiddly. The safety catch is a bit loud, but if you press in at the same time as moving it up or down, it's much quieter. It can also be operated from either side of the breach and in time a wholly left handed system will be brought in. The stock's already an ambi, so it won't take much and shouldn't be any extra.

I've not had a complete test of it yet, but so far, the test with Daystate Kaisers 4.51 are pretty impressive at 35yds. Straight out of the box and it's lookin' good.

post-26888-0-35371700-1466171337_thumb.jpg

Daystate Kaiser 4.51 pellets 35yds, near perfect conditions off a rest. 10 shots

Time will tell on the durability of the plastic components, but apparently this gun has been a long time coming and Weihrauch don't release things until they're actually happy with it (take note, Daystate and BSA!). I love the S510 and would still recommend it to anyone, but with doing so much shooting after dark and where space is at a premium, the HW110 is going to be hard to beat. And, seeing as I don't need two sub 12 air rifles in .177, the S510 just loses out!

Edited by chrisjpainter

All that money + a nice scope and with the best pellets you could find and still you missed the coin :whistling:

there is a small chance that 5p is covering a rogue pellet hole. I sneezed...plenty of people blame their guns for a lot of things, but I don't think I can get away with blaming it for hayfever! i took the extra shot to make the grouping to ten though ;)

excellent! I shall be using that :D

Clearly you have experience at finding daft excuses for missed shots :whistling:

Actually you will be surprised how many people are allergic to those stock coverings, Winchester bought out a shotgun with a similar stock finish, lots of shooters took it back as it was causing allergic reactions....

If I miss a shot I blame me!

really neat looking gun there mate!

The bipod looks a bit far back ?

I'm a big fan of the HW100's, had a few during the years and i'm considering geting a 110 in FAC if they do them

The stud doubles up as the front stock bolt, so that kind of got picked for me! My stud is apparently the prototype stud, so it's not been released to the mass market yet (...or so I was told). I'll leave it there for a bit and then if needs be shift it forward and put the normal stock bolt back in.

As to the FAC 110, with all the differences between it and the HW100, maybe it'll be a bit more reliable than the FAC HW100!

Edited by chrisjpainter