Which Air Rifle Should I Buy?

justintime2001

How could I tell if its shooting low on power?

You'd have to check what ft/lb it was putting out by using a chronograph. Mine was originally running low at around 9 ft/lb so got in contact with Armex. They invited me over and their gunsmith Phil removed the anti-tamper and set it to around 11.2 ft/lb. Even though I bought it second hand they were more than happy to sort my problem out and didn't charge me a penny. Edited by Fabhui

You'd have to check what ft/lb it was putting out by using a chronograph. Mine was originally running low at around 9 ft/lb so got in contact with Armex. They invited me over and their gunsmith Phil removed the anti-tamper and set it to around 11.2 ft/lb. Even though I bought it second hand they were more than happy to sort my problem out and didn't charge me a penny.

That's excellent customer service.

I might even sell mine, I have my eye on something much more expensive (though I probably wouldn't be gaining lots)

Would be very interested if you decide too.

Take a look at the Hatsan S1000 Striker. An excellent air rifle at a good price.

The 900 is a carbined Striker, with a silencer, but even firing that will make the pigeons levitate upon release of spring, much better to go for a PCP, but then you will need a charging system such as a pump or dive bottle, unless you buy something like the Walther RM8 which has a humongous shot count so will need filling about once a month to fire 40 odd shots a week!

As I said before I'm in Burton too and like the fella above I have a Walther Rotex RM8 and they're superb and amazingly accurate guns. Just make sure you don't wind up with one that's shooting low on power.

Will agree with you on that, my first one was way below power! Struggled to make 10 ft lb!

If you want a gun that will last a lifetime and have some resale value if you want to sell it

get a Weihrauch HW95 you can buy one brand new for £295 and it comes with a silencer worth £43

I would buy brand new as it wont have been messed about with 2nd hand your looking at £240 so not much loss

if you sold on

do not buy a Hatson the trigger is not as good as the superb Richard units on a weihrauch and resale you may get a tenner the blueing and build quality is not comparable to the german stuff and don't touch a BSA such as th lightningwhich are no where near as accurate as the weihrauch.

With pre charged phumatics you will need air bottles and so your outlay will be a lot more then there is charging etc

I would also get the above in .22 which is a better cal for a springer as its less harsh

Edited by psycho

If you want a gun that will last a lifetime and have some resale value if you want to sell it

get a Weihrauch HW95 you can buy one brand new for £295 and it comes with a silencer worth £43

I would buy brand new as it wont have been messed about with 2nd hand your looking at £240 so not much loss

if you sold on

do not buy a Hatson the trigger is not as good as the superb Richard units on a weihrauch and resale you may get a tenner the blueing and build quality is not comparable to the german stuff and don't touch a BSA such as th lightningwhich are no where near as accurate as the weihrauch.

With pre charged phumatics you will need air bottles and so your outlay will be a lot more then there is charging etc

I would also get the above in .22 which is a better cal for a springer as its less harsh

Thank you for the advice.

Methinks the superb "Richard" trigger unit may have been replaced by the "Record" one? My pennies worth...I had a 95 after my HW80 and it was nowhere near the same quality-so bad, in fact, that I will never buy another HW gun. Look out for a used TX200 and try before you buy, if you are considering spending around £360 then guntrader has several v.nice TX's in your price range....do yourself a massive favour and at least try one.

Edited by bruno22rf

Methinks the superb "Richard" trigger unit may have been replaced by the "Record" one? My pennies worth...I had a 95 after my HW80 and it was nowhere near the same quality-so bad, in fact, that I will never buy another HW gun. Look out for a used TX200 and try before you buy, if you are considering spending around £360 then guntrader has several v.nice TX's in your price range....do yourself a massive favour and at least try one.

Will do, thanks.

if you sold on

I had a hatsan 900x,for a cheap gun not bad but the trigger is a dog,you get what you pay for,the trigger on the 95 is to die for.

As mentioned if your budget will stretch to £400 then you can go wrong with a tx200 hunter then the rolls Royce pro sport which is £400 second hand.they are fully tuned out of the box with bearing pistons etc and again will last forever...quality costs but lasts a lifetime look on Blackpool air rifle site for descriptions of all hw and air arm rifles also look in there 2nd hand section there is a very nice pro sport there with custom brass parts

Edited by psycho

if you sold on

I own a Weihrauch HW100 KT and a BSA Ultra Se .. can't split them regards accuracy .. anyone says BSA aren't accurate are miss leading you fella .. regards air rifles, the best advice l could give is get out there and try for yourself ..

I own a Weihrauch HW100 KT and a BSA Ultra Se .. can't split them regards accuracy .. anyone says BSA aren't accurate are miss leading you fella .. regards air rifles, the best advice l could give is get out there and try for yourself ..

I was on about springers BSA lightings are no where near as accurate as a hw

Whats wrong with the 850 mentioned by the OP? I got one for plinking, and it seems pretty awesome; at 30 meters I group fairly easily in 10cm from a standing position (apart from the odd flyer due to the shooter). I had been wondering if I could use it for pesting too...

I understand it's underpowered compared to springers, but on the other hand the CO2 cartridges are easy to source, cheap, and a lot more practical that pre-charged...

With respect, buze, 10cm (a gnats tadger under 4 inches) at 30 metres is catapult territory compared to the cheapest PCP and as for CO2...as you say less power but you forgot cost/availability and their tendency to vary in power depending on ambient temperature, in cold weather a decent Botty burp is more effective whereas leaving the gun in the sun produces velocities enjoyed by SR-71 Jocks.

Thanks @bruno22rf -- and I thought I was doing OK grouping like that without support! I never tried a bipod with it, so I'm not sure how precise it is by itself; I feel a bit silly with a bipod TBH.

Yes I'm aware of the temperature effect on CO2. I wonder if it'd be hard to run a nichrome wire around the cylinder with a battery to keep the thing warm, if needs be :-)

But yes ultimately, I knew it was a plinker, it just feels rather amazingly good to my (untrained) hands -- that is, for the price!

Hells bells me and Bruno agree again!

• 2 years later...

End of the day a rifle is a personal choice and even then the accuracy is dependant on both the shooter's skill, the rifle/sight set up, the conditions and the pellets and preparation used. Even some of the lower cost rifles can be very close to as accurate as the big names!

I won't own an inaccurate rifle so take a peek at my current collection. All are capable at 40m of pellet on pellet.

On 18/06/2016 at 10:02, justintime2001 said:

Hi All,

We have a big problem with pigeons in our garden and I would like to deal with them via an Air Rifle.

It would be great if those of you in the know could point me in the right direction as to which gun to buy. It would be best if the gun was fairly quiet so I don’t upset neighbours.

I have looked at a “HAMMERLI 850 AIRMAGNUM XT” which with scope and silencer can be had for around £365/£375, but are their others I should be considering? Any advice would be gratefully received, Thanks.

hello, did you buy your self the air rifle ?