pigeons on wheat

mrpip

Had a good afternoon today, been watching pigeon building up on a failed wheat field at the edge of the village. Had a walk around this morning when I got 20 yds into the field the wheat thins out and it's a mass of poppies and grass, farmer is cutting it for silage when the weathers right. There are houses on one side and a main road down another side, a triple powerline with double poles runs across the middle. I set up against the middle set of poles with my back to the houses at 1.15 put the whirlie 25 yds out with 6 shell decoys on cradles to the right. Had a steady flow mainly from behind me out of the village, decoying well with 5 squads shot on day, finished at 6 with 44 pigeon picked for 65 shots 32 gram steel. Left the shells out all day because of the flies. All in all a nice afternoon out, old dog enjoyed herself had plenty of blind retrieves.

Can't get the pics to go right way up ! And the gun is unloadedpost-13005-0-02260600-1466287972_thumb.jpgpost-13005-0-48767100-1466288025_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrpip

Good. An interesting crop to shoot over at this time of year. There should be another session once the crop has been cut.

I can see some Cornflowers in one of your pictures. They are a rarity nowadays in heavily sprayed arable crops.

Edited by JDog

Good. An interesting crop to shoot over at this time of year. There should be another session once the crop has been cut.

I can see some Cornflowers in one of your pictures. They are a rarity nowadays in heavily sprayed arable crops.

Yes JDog aright mixture of flowers and grasses with a bit of wheat thrown in, this farm is mainly beef cattle and sheep, he grows wheat for feed and straw. Field was heavily manured last year from the cattle sheds were there fed on silage, when it failed he decided to leave it and crop it as silage so it never got sprayed. I saw a bloke hanging around the gateway mid afternoon, turned out he was taking photos of the poppies.

This field and block it's in are all earmarked for industrial development, planning gone through already, looks like we need another industrial estate.