Zoli Shotguns

Jrollsons

They seem to be getting quite popular in America where they are spending marketing money trying emulate the success of Guerini, but over here I don't think their image was helped much by have a fishing tackle shop in Lancaster as the distributor until a couple of years ago.

I've seen and handled 2 or 3 new ones recently and first impressions were quite positive. Going by the specs I wouldn't say they're overpriced but I'm not sure I'd want to commit that kind of money without more input from existing owners.

They made a half hearted attempt at capturing market share in the UK clay scene around 10-15 years ago with some pretty soundly made but poorly executed and flawed specs coupled to a stupidly tiny dealer network, some of these are a cheap way of getting a quality gun such as the Kronos which features detachable trigger mechs, I owned one briefly but never ever removed it even for a looksee. These never captured anyones imagination because as mentioned they were poorly specced, barrels too heavy, grip too chunky, very short multi chokes (it makes zero actual difference to patterns but is huge on the balance sheet), unimaginative action colours, etc, etc. They just lack trendy detailing of the finer things such as ribs etc.

More recently they have made a new attempt with new guns and a new importer but unfortunately they simply don't have a clue. I could turn their fortunes round in a couple of hours because there is just sooo much wrong with their whole shebang, almost everything needs changing. Their biggest problem is their delusions of grandeur in pitching their top end guns at well over £4k or even as much as £6k without even getting into fancy wood or engraving :rolleyes:, sorry but first you serve your apprenticeship by selling mass market affordable guns that work, backed up by proper dealer network and customer service. Other flaws include uninspiring action designs and poor marketing, poor importer communications and last but not least next to no famous sponsored "names".

Successful marketing really isn't rocket science, they only have to look at CGuerrini to see how it should be done. Zoli's problem isn't the quality of their guns, it's the dire quality of their application.

Hamster - eloquently put and accurate. When they were selling them from Lancaster - small outlet - they suddenly started offering massive discounts - presumably when they no longer imported them - selling up old stock.

New importer - new price - doubled from around £2k to £4k.

They just aren't worth that kind of money. Had they been pitched around £1500 in the first place, I might have been more tempted.