Police 101

steve_b_wales

Yesterday, I phoned 101 to report a car that had been left half on/half off the pavement close to my house. It's been there for at least three weeks, and looks in bad shape. No one in my street knows who left the car there, and we think it could have been abandoned. After waiting to get through to the 'police', I was then transferred to South Wales Police, and put 'on hold' once again. After four minutes, I finally got to talk to someone. I explained about the vehicle, and was told in a very condescending voice, 'Well if the vehicle is taxed, insured and has a MOT, it can be left there'. I was also asked, 'what makes you think it could be abandoned'? I explained that the reason I phoned was to pass on the vehicle details, so that the 'police' can check against their records if it's been reported missing. I was then told that the details would be checked out.

What an attitude to have. It's no wonder people just ignore things like this.

Thing is you can check if it is insured by checking the MIDB, just tap the reg number in, if it shows no Insurance, call the police, same can be done with the MOT as well!

only if you pay for it (MIDB that is)

Def a police matter abandoned cars......

Council matter in Liverpool apparently

I only ever called 101 once and it was a major chore, so wont be happening again. A car was parked near my house during fair week at he beginning of June. It now has a sticker on it claiming it has been abandoned and if it is yours you can phone the local council. It's still there. A nice little Fiat if anyone wants it! :)

I only ever called 101 once and it was a major chore, so wont be happening again. A car was parked near my house during fair week at he beginning of June. It now has a sticker on it claiming it has been abandoned and if it is yours you can phone the local council. It's still there. A nice little Fiat if anyone wants it! :)

If only you were closer! :rolleyes:

I had to call them this week to report the theft of my dads tractor, was on hold for 45mins. Only to be told that as we had found it dumped in a field a mile down the road there was no further action they could take apart from giving me a incident number. Complete waste of time not that I am surprised, when they broke into one of the barns and stole two out boards and a load of power tools they told me it must of been children walking along the foot path. So no further action would be taken.

I have to call 101 every time i go shooting at my work for a job number and i dont think ive ever got right threw the usual is a 10-15 minute wait then they ask me a load of irreverent questions and then the next on just gives me the number theres no happy medium with 101 police Scotland

I have in the past called 101 and after waiting for a considerable time, a recorded message offers you the chance to leave your number and they will call you back!

Tried it once, by the time my call was returned (3 Hrs later) They could not have done anything constructive about what I was calling about.

I called them last year when a group of chavs went into our garage block. its a dead end so they were clearly going in to rob the garages. a local police operation had been cancelled and within 3 minutes there were police everywhere.I counted four cars, three vans and a dog unit.Some of the chavs were caught red handed, some fled over the garage roofs. The other side of the block is the local college. The helicopter and dog unit soon rounded them up.

Only use it when I go shooting and have to say they have always been spot on. Nice and straight forward, very polite and answered very quickly. Probably like most things in life, depends who you get. Next time I might get a muppet and will have a different opinion ;-)

999 is free.

101 is charged at premium rate.

Amazing.

I've phoned many times for work and the odd occasion for personal reasons and it's always stated "this call will cost you a maximum of 15 pence"...

Is that considered premium ? I would consider premium to be one of those £5 a minute numbers personally.

UPDATE:

Further to my original post, I had a phone call yesterday from a police officer at my local station. He said that I had reported that a car had been abandoned, to which I told him 'No'. He then said that he has traced the last known owner of the vehicle, and said that because he wasn't from around this area, could I name a few streets that are near to where the car was left. I mentioned 6 streets, and he replied that the owner didn't live in any of them.

He then said that he would be reporting the vehicle to the local council, and would also be sending a PCSO up later this week to check it out.

So, a result so far.