Breakdown of vote

Scully

Sorry for yet another post on the referendum, but this is important to me.

I have been faced with repeated claims that the older generation has destroyed the futures of the younger, and whilst I don't believe this to be true at all, I want to know what proportion of 18 -25 year olds actually voted. Not which way they voted, ( I know which way they voted ) but what proportion voted.

I can find info' regarding the breakdown of how it was during the 2015 GE, when 78% of those 65 or over voted, against 43% of 18 to 25 year olds, and a BBC report claims if the proportion was similar during the referendum then it would go a long way to explaining the leave result, but I can't find out if in fact this was the case.

Any help PW'ers wold be much appreciated. Ta. :good:

Edited by Scully

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scully, read somewhere on here that the proportion of 18 - 25 year olds who voted was 42% did, which means 58% did not. IMO they have no right to complain.

Same as Nicola(****) Sturgeon complaining the vote was not democratic (because it did not go her way). As a national total the result was democratic and she as no right of complaint. .

Edit = punctuation.

Counting as "educated" because you did a degree in arts or taking pictures of daisies doesn't make you smart or englightened, most of them will never get a graduate job yet spend upto £40,000 on these worthless degrees.

Couldn't think of anyone less qualified to decide what happens to the country!

About a 50/50 split between my friends and I who are 26

I think YouGov published it - am 99% sure I read it on the FT.com it was about 42 /43 % which rather ruins their argument of being sold down the river by the older generation (though I have to confess laughing at a Tweet from some young lad saying it was the last time he was going to carry an old dears shopping my bags)

Can't however find it on YouGov and I need my login details for FT.com which unhelpfully are saved on my laptop that I've left in my office

If you haven't got it by Monday I will get it for you then but am sure the mighty research engine that is the PW massive will have got it you before then!

It's a secret ballot, the clue is in the name, we aren't supposed to know. Also I think we should beware of generalisations. A lot of younger people might have "secretly" voted out because of things like the fact that the EU allowed China to dump steel and therefore damaged their job prospects.

David.

Who cares........the "older" generation took me into the EEC against my will.............the "younger" generation will have to suck it up like I had to!....that's democracy! In a few years time when the present "younger" generation are the "older " generation they can also use their democratic vote how they wish...........even if it "upsets" the "younger" generation! that's democracy!...tough titty innit!

It wasn't just the old that voted "leave", but also the uneducated.

Make of that what you will.

Oh the good old uneducated hey.. jeez that record is ******* old now. Surprised its not worn out...

If we had voted to remain i would not insult those who did vote that way... Ive said it before and will say again. Voting is over, now this country needs to work together to make it Great Britain...

Edited by ShootingEgg

It's done now.. The effect will not be known for a while. Vould be Good,could be bad.. everything else is a guess.

Whatever way you voted. It's going to take some effort to sort out. Sitting on your backside and moaning or gloating will not help.

It's looking like the the message is, jobs and opportunities need to be given in deprived areas. Those that will take over governing the country and lead businesses etc need to do something about it and spread the wealth a bit. Can't see that happening quickly.

If the opening of world markets does materialise. Then those areas that have been decribed as deprived of opportunities are given the chance.. they need to be ready. If not jobs (manual to professional) will still br filled from people from abroad as they are now.

Edited by Paul1440

Not quite on topic but relevant. The first figures relate to 1968 and the second, 2008.

Of the population, Socio Economic Groups A&B - the 'high fliers' - made up 12%, then 27%.

------------------------------------------------------- C2, D&E - skilled and unskilled workers, the unemployed and the retired - made up 65%, then 45%.

As the A&B groups have increased in size and the C2, D&E which contains (definitely) more retired people and (arguably) more unemployed in 2008 as opposed to 1968 has decreased dramatically, then it's not rocket science to deduce that the percentage of skilled manual workers who arguably were the backbone of British industry have become an endangered species.

hello, did i not see a figure of 3 million 18 to 25s could vote but many had not even registered, had they all thought staying in the EU was best for them and their future maybe it would have gone a different direction, as for miss mayfield blaming the older generation and baby boomers i never got the chance to study at uni/ i saved hard for 10 years to buy a family home/ i do not have a gold plated pension even after paying in for 50 years, i did not cause house prices to soar, greedy estate agents/ gazumping/ letting agents/banks/ and second house buyers purchased in counties like dorset/cornwall/ devon and around the uk so local young people cannot and will never able to buy and live in their home place/ seaside properties renting out at sky high prices/ and i dare say miss mayfield is at uni to the generosity of the bank of mum and dad.

Age stats in the Express today. LSE said earlier this week, youngsters (60% under 24) didn't bother to vote. This was why there was no will to bring age down to 16 as cost etc when they wouldn't vote anyway just not worth it.

Also interestingly and this was linked to comment Corbyn might get booted out, the biggest surprise was well educated voters in labour heartland voted out. Reason = disillusionment with lack of opposition etc to austerity measures ie Corbyn!

Don't the EU insist uni's espouse a positive image for all thing EU as part of the backhander...sorry various grant schemes? Considering most teacher/ lectures have never ventured into the big wide world since leaving uni themselves, it must be like the ignorant leading the nieve.

Many soldiers of my era served in many troubled areas protecting the freedoms for others that people of this country take for granted.

It really annoys me to hear some little **** telling some interviewer that it's undemocratic to allow people like me a vote.

Counting as "educated" because you did a degree in arts or taking pictures of daisies doesn't make you smart or englightened, most of them will never get a graduate job yet spend upto £40,000 on these worthless degrees.

Couldn't think of anyone less qualified to decide what happens to the country!

Considering most teacher/ lectures have never ventured into the big wide world since leaving uni themselves, it must be like the ignorant leading the nieve.

These!

Miss Mayfield is very young, and as such hasn't considered the fact that I, of my generation didn't get a say at all in whether we entered the EEC or not, but when I got the chance to have that say, I used it. Her generation have had the chance to have their say; perhaps if 100% of their generation had voted ( either way) then the result may have been different.

She comes across as somewhat naive and spoilt.

Edited to add that rather than sounding very smug and condescending, at her age I was totally indifferent to who voted for what, and had much more important priorities, such as getting writ off and getting my leg over. :yes:

Edited by Scully

Miss Mayfield is very young, and as such hasn't considered the fact that I, of my generation didn't get a say at all in whether we entered the EEC or not, but when I got the chance to have that say, I used it. Her generation have had the chance to have their say; perhaps if 100% of their generation had voted ( either way) then the result may have been different.

She comes across as somewhat naive and spoilt.

I used those same words yesterday following sight of my step DiL's post on facebook inferring that those who voted OUT were stupid and zenophobic. This from someone who would be on holiday and asked my wife to proxy vote REMAIN for her and (step)son which she duly did. She's home today. My wife has asked that I don't comment. Well, we'll see.