Breakdown of vote

Scully

Worth bearing in mind that, whatever Sky claim, we have no accurate idea how anyone voted, regardless of age, sex, race, education or whatever. Only that a number of people in a certain area voted one way or the other. The rest of it is assumption. And we can see where assumption got the Remain campaign.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth bearing in mind that, whatever Sky claim, we have no accurate idea how anyone voted, regardless of age, sex, race, education or whatever. Only that a number of people in a certain area voted one way or the other. The rest of it is assumption. And we can see where assumption got the Remain campaign.

Precisely, good post

There are some 8 million people in the 18-24 year age group in the UK.

Of that 8 million 25% haven't registered, leaving 6 million eligible to vote.

Of that 6 million only 43% actually bothered to cast a ballot, which is 2.58 million votes.

Of that 2.58 million roughly 75% voted to remain in the EU. That's roughly 1.9 million votes for remain.

So, out of approximately 8 million possible votes for that age grouping the young remainiacs managed to poll just under 25% of their possible total.

Now, someone please remind me just how I, and other 'old' voters have ruined their futures? Christ, Cameron even extended the registration deadline for them!!

They have no-one to blame but themselves.

Now that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Poontang; knew I could depend on you. 👍

Edited to add; I'm not particularly well educated ( a few GCSE 's ) but voted to leave. It would seem us 'thickies' have got one over on the self proclaimed elite 'educated' classes. Who'd have thought?

Edited by Scully

I have never understood why people with a degree are considered to be the only ones in the educated bracket. To be honest it ****** me off and I find it insulting.

According to the system I am uneducated as came out of school with very poor a levels at 18. I am now senior management in a respected company and I would like to think no one considers me uneducated, a knob at times but certainly not uneducated. Many of my counterparts in business are also "uneducated"but it's funny how we are the ones that keep the businesses running and making money.

Many of the "educated" younger generation have shown there naivety and immaturity by their response to the result. Rather than wasting time posting **** on facebook, signing a petition and marching on the streets of London do what you need to do, grow up, accept the results and for once take responsibility for your own future by putting your heads down and trying to make post EU Britain the best it possibly can be.

The statistics will only ever tell a little part of the story, I voted leave, I'm 34 so I fit into the younger voter bracket just about, I went to a grant maintained school in London, was doing A levels at fourteen, I have a degree, an IQ of 151 as tested by Mensa, (not that it means anything at all in the real world, really just means that I'm good at puzzles) as well as more professional qualifications in several different industries than will fit on my CV without it getting ridiculous and I'm currently doing more, I own my own home, two cars, a boat, money in the bank, and I'm wearing a white gold Rolex, if you cut me in half I would have middle class written through me like a stick of rock, but I believe in the necessity of a democratically government for everyone and the EU doesn't, never has, and never will provide it, I decided how I would vote in a referendum back when I was old enough to understand the implications of John Major signing the Maastricht treaty, neither campaign has influenced me in any way whatsoever.

If you put your trust in the statistics then I was a 99% certainty to vote remain.

Statistics and figures do tell you something, but they'll never tell you everything, the statistics may tell you that the uneducated voted leave, I'm educated and I voted leave, I'm not the exception that proves the rule, and the implication that you'd have to be stupid to vote leave is plainly false, I've worked in many different industries and met many people less educated than I am that did or didn't have the same advantages that I have had that were more intelligent and sharper than I will ever be, education doesn't in any way equal intelligence, you could spend a fortune sending an idiot to Eton and then to Oxford but they'll still be an idiot, they'll just be an educated one, looking down on someone because you are more educated than they are proves you to be that idiot.

What I really hope for the future is that the rest of the countries in the EU all leave it, leave the European Commission governing nothing more than their own building and paying their own bills and the same amount of tax as everyone else, and then we can all form a free trade deal with our neighbours both near and far that benefits everyone while subjugating no one as it should have been in the first place, the human race isn't ready for a single world government which is plainly what the EU was aiming for, a noble idea even if badly implemented, but we need to get used to each other, overcome all our differences and leave the unpleasant history and selfishness behind before we'll even be in the same volume, let alone on the same page.

Edited by Jamesey1981

I fully understand what your implying, what you fail to understand is your being arrogant beyond belief to everyone who voted out, the same mistake that the in campaign made, maybe your not as smart as you seem to think?

You mistake personal opinion for fact - there is no "implication," just simple reporting of polling.

I suggest your comments on smartness are misplaced, along with some punctuation and grammar in your previous post.

There was some figures in the Telegraph on one of the other threads which basically said areas with mostly DE classes voted out, areas where over 50% of the voters had degrees voted in

Shame you can't measure common sense with a certificate eh?

You mistake personal opinion for fact - there is no "implication," just simple reporting of polling.

I suggest your comments on smartness are misplaced, along with some punctuation and grammar in your previous post.

Well your first post made it pretty clear your what you were implying, as for my punctuation I'm on a phone and last time I checked this isn't an English test, at least it's easy to decipher the intent of my posts, unlike yours.

The greatest problem for younger voters is that they have not been able to watch the EU project develope over the years of our membership !

To them the cancer that is the EU is the normal way of government so their disgruntlement is understandable,however everyone had the chance to vote

and they must accept the democratic result.

I think it's very important to remember that a lot of those who voted to remain did so out of fear...not a wish to remain in the EU.

Scully, thanks. The figures I used were pulled from various sources, the ONS, Electoral Commission, and various figures used by press and media averaged out to give a fairly accurate overall view of the situation.

Edited by poontang

I think it's very important to remember that a lot of those who voted to remain did so out of fear...not a wish to remain in the EU.

Scully, thanks. The figures I used were pulled from various sources, the ONS, Electoral Commission, and various figures used by press and media averaged out to give a fairly accurate overall view of the situation.

Another good and valid point in your first line also.

Many thanks again, for taking the time. I have copied it and intend to use it initially if my boss has another rant along the lines of the older generation ruining the futures of the younger ( he has seriously spat out his dummy ) but it will also suffice for any others who make the same claim.

The thing that really annoys is all of these people saying that we should not come out of the EU but from what I see of we in fact we never have been committed to being in we wanted opt outs on lots of things we would not join the euro most of the MPs that we sent was UKIP ones all that we ever did was mone I would think that most of them will be pleased to see the back of us they can make there united states of Europe.

I would think that most of them will be pleased to see the back of us they can make there united states of Europe.

You're quite right in saying we have always been seen as a thorn in the side of the project.

The Treaty of Rome, signed in 1957 is quite clear about the plans for Europe. Trade has always been secondary to the political integration of Europe, often used more recently as a carrot to encourage the poor, weaker economy's into joining an ever expanding union, whilst on the other hand being used as a stick to deter those who might want to leave or even have the temerity to go against the commissions rulings.

Make no mistake about it, the EU is, first and foremost a political, not a trading union.

Without the UK to hinder progress you will soon see a huge push for more integration across the continent. My prediction is that without the consultation and will of the peoples of Europe it will all end in tears.

Edited by poontang

Look, I wasnt in favour of brexit, but do support democracy. There's only one figure that matters. Leave 17 million. Remain 16 million.

Remain need to get over themselves and we need to get on with this. End of.

Look, I wasnt in favour of brexit, but do support democracy. There's only one figure that matters. Leave 17 million. Remain 16 million.

Remain need to get over themselves and we need to get on with this. End of.

Well said sir..

Given that one of the key points for many Leave voters was sovereignty and democracy I find it somewhat ironic that now we have Remain voters wanting to overturn a democratic decision.

The Working Class in this country are not represented anymore by the Islington never worked in their lives tosspots in the Labour Party. They still expect them to automatically vote for them though.

A lot of working class people do vote for them. Blindly in the village I live in you could pin a red rosette on anyone and they'd get a seat. Edited by BrowningB525

Nope.. Lots of perfesdional people voted as well as the 18 yo 24 year olds as they saw staying in thr EU as a benefit and offer better opportunities rather than the threat of leavimg. There will still have the lions share of any opportunities.

But see being the EU as a better option.

You could still express concern as fear but it's not spun in the negative way as implied.