AC Cobra replicas - scratching the V8 itch

Mungler

Nice tidy motor is the V8 version of the Jaguar X type 4x4 Estate. I was seriously looking one over when a V6 model, identical to the one used by Clarkson on Top Gear (only car I know he never slagged off) turned up with just 54 thou on the clock and full one owner service history. Most it did in one year was 6000 mls and could not turn it down. These were built when Ford owned Jag. My X type is a joy to drive but I would think the V8 would be an interesting experience.

Having said that I always start to drool when I see a Cobra, even if it is a copy cat model.

My Landie has a 4litre V8/LT85 box set up and I just have to IMAGINE :-)

Edited by Walker570

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

dax gt40 for me , had a run in one years ago running an american v8 with renault gearbox back to front.

think she was pushing about 400hp at the wheels .

was in the le mans colours blu/ orange .

even for a kit car cost a fortune to build with all the correct looking bits.

Nothing really beats the sound of a V8 ticking over through a couple of CherryBombs :good: Caused many a sharp intake of breath at traffic lights when I pull away in second gear in my Landie and some snotty nosed boy racer is creating a LOUD noise next to me in his dropped Fiesta :lol: 3964ccs of V8 any day and great in a scruffy looking Landie with nothing going for it openly other than some fat tyres :yahoo::yes:

I do like the looks and sound of the AC Cobra but where do I put a blood spattered fallow buck or a couple of munties or my pigeon hide and decoys ???? Tell me Tell me :no::hmm:

Edited by Walker570

Ive driven a couple. one was a copy rather than a replica, right engine, wheels ally bode etc. It was a n animal to drive, a bit too much right sandal and it would rip your head off and **** down your neck! The other was a very well built replica, it could still rip your head off if you a bit too enthusiastic but would say sorry afterwards :)

or you could build your self one of these (the bosses run around) Why settle for a V8 when you can have a V12

RRhs_zpsgidsxf36.jpg

Might be trickier to drive but that would be all it detracts from the overall package.

I followed one identical to that the other day on the bike, when he opened it up it made the hairs of the back of neck stand up.

It can only be an investment as well with all the Steve McQueen interest at the moment.

I am going to be a real killjoy and say don't go there. Kit cars are OK in the hands of the person who built it but once you lose that connection yo are always trying to fathom out how he did this and why he did it that way.

They look fabulous but underneath they are (lets face it) built from scrap cars cobbled togeather

If you want a V8 buy an XK8 convertible or like I have an SL55 AMG. Good fun and dirt cheap for what they are.

Edited by Vince Green

• 4 months later...

Sorry for dragging this thread back up, but there's a part finished Cobra project on Ebay down the road from me and I was going to have a sniff at it.

The Ebay item number is 322433598064

My only concern is in relation to 'registration'. I have it in the back of my mind that in trying to correctly register the new completed kit car as a cobra kit car and not on a Q plate (the V5 for the sierra donor is available apparently) there are new safety and emissions regulations that now make the process very very difficult.

Anyone know anything about this?

I recently imported and registered a Fiat500 from Italy and it was a massive ball ache and the car only got registered after I made a formal complaint to DVLA. I reckon that took over 4 months and involved me sending them 'everything' with my first letter anyways.

Cheers all.