Beginner Tips.

Guinness

Hi people, i;m a newbie on here and hope I can learn a lot. I took up airgun hunting at the beginning of this year and i'm not having much luck.

Whats the best way to get woddies to land in the trees i'm hiding near :D ?

I've built a dome tent using fibre-glass poles and a cammo net and stick it in nearby bushes, before day break. Is this the best time to set up and how well do decoys work?

Also ay tips on hunting wabbits, i.e, what times of day will I find them out and about?

Cheers.

Hi Guiness, welcome to the site.

As far as airgunning for pigeons is concerned you would be better waiting untill late afternoon 1500hrs/dusk onwards, look for droppings under trees and set up nearby.

A few decoys hoisted into the trees will usually work as well.

With decoying them into a pattern on the ground, i find that they don't hang around long enough to get a decent shot at them ,which risks wounding birds, best to take them from the roost tree with airguns IMHO.

As for rabbits, dusk or overnight is the best time,especially with a filtered lamp.

pick your spot during the daylight hours and get to know the terrain as there is nothing worse than stumbling about over rocks and pot holes in the pitch black.

After a dry spell the first good shower will also bring a few out as well even during daylight if things are quiet.

With rabbit i find, good cammo and the ability to slow your movements right down

also help. their eyesight aint that good but they sure will smell you if you approach with the wind behind you or you are too noisy.

I am probrably teaching granny to suck eggs but practice, practice ,practice before you take any kind of shot at any quarry. a good miss is better than a poor hit in my book.

There are better qualified on this site than I,but these tips work for me, i'm sure the others on here will have other ideas for you to try .

good hunting.

Regards Sutty :D<_<

Best advice I could give you is to get out with your binoculars and learn your ground, find out where they roost and be there at the right time, the same with rabbits. It can be boring but all this groundwork will pay off for you. Also it will take time for you to start picking things up so keep plugging on and when youre shooting keep still as often as much as you can.

Hi Guinness, I thought you'd be a Lump ommer, or Royal Entire man myself. :D

All of the above, plus for the rabbits I'd go out an hour ish before it starts to get dark, if you just stroll around quietly in camo you will soon start to spot them, then learn how close you can stalk them and make sure you can make a clean kill at that distance.

Longer distance shooting and lamping at night will come later and be easier when you have some experience with the basics.

hope this helps a bit, <_<

Thanks for all the tips, i've been considering buying a lamping kit for some time, i'll go take a look at some soon.

I've been going out every weekend to the same shoot since christmas so have got know the terrain pretty well, i've started to notice flight lines, roosting areas, and bunnie burrows.

If I get some decoys this weekend and stick 'em in the trees, could I leave them there for a few days and still keep the woodies interested?

First you have to find the right trees the pigeons come and roost in for the night.

Then i find that decoys work well for me but most people i speak to they say if any think it scares them off. You will have to try it. If you are going to buy decoys just for roost shooting only but around 5 but its worth buying a lofting kit so you can lift the decoys up into the trees on poles. On the home page they will have them. I dont use the lofting device myself i climb up the tree to place the decoys up there.

As im only 15 i havn't got much money so i cant but the proper kit yet.

As for rabbit shooting i tend to lay outside the holes around 20feet away and wait for them to come out, around dusk i find is the best time for me. I bring a lamp with a red filter and stay there a couple of hours after dark. The reason i use the red filter is because the rabbits are colour blind and they can only see black and white, they cant see red? I hoped this helped?

PD

:*) Sorted the profile :*)

Ive been and bought me a Logun gun lamp, and after yesterdays session I think i'm gonna make good use of it. I ventured onto a part of a field I hadnt been over to before and theres **** loads of warrens I bagged my first rabbit!

Well done mate, I've seen s*d all rabbits this week, and i'm not home for another four :rolleyes: