How did we all get on today

Mungler

I shot the Essex County Smallbore Rifle Competition today at Basildon, which consisted of 40 shots @ 50 metres and 40shots @100yds .

I shot the 4 cards at 50mtrs first and did appauling, started of with a 97, then a 93 then a 89 and last a 87. The 100yds was better scoring 96, 95, 94 and 95. I finished the day with aggregate score of 746 dropping 54 points and averaging just under 93, which was good enough for 5th in my class and I think 14th overall.

I scored higher on the 100yds than quite a few people who are in A or B class and it was only the 2nd time I had shot 100yds outside and the first time I had shot 50mtrs.

I also took a trip to Bisley and bought a new toy. But more about that in another post.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the open shoot nr Brantham. No idea what club was running it but i really enjoyed it. £5 for 30 birds (3 stands) so i did two rounds. I managed 20 ex 30 then 17 ex 30.

Again I was using 28grm #8 but had just bought Gamebore whitegold XLR. The recoil was no problem to me and they did a good job of breaking all the targets (even the 'rocket up backside' springing teal which was a fair distance, maybe 40 yards).

I had forgotten why i didn't get whitegold any more if the recoil wasn't an issue, simple, when i tried to buy them one day the supplier had run out and for some reason i forgot to go back to them. Anyway, a good cartridge, easy on the shoulder and did what they were meant to too when i did.

A very enjoyable day even if i did get burnt to ****. :whistling: Owww... :good::yes:

Local shoot today with SS, took high gun with a personally disappointing 79ex100.

The bloke who's setting the courses now is making extremely good use of the terrain, shooting from the top of a pit with targets below, coming from below and high up - was very well set out :whistling:

SS,

You won't see it at the range, it is a bit too powerful for 15yds. If I can upload the pictures from work I'll post them a bit later.

And no tosspot it isn't a repeater as my FEO said I was only allowed single shot, so I had to buy a Gat gun. Good for foxes to 300yds though, wicked flat trajectory. :whistling::good:

SS,

You won't see it at the range, it is a bit too powerful for 15yds. If I can upload the pictures from work I'll post them a bit later.

And no tosspot it isn't a repeater as my FEO said I was only allowed single shot, so I had to buy a Gat gun. Good for foxes to 300yds though, wicked flat trajectory. :good::yes:

What calibre though, as I heard that paintballs in 15mm is supposed to carry good penetrive power to that range and beyond. :D

SS :whistling:

Pin & Mungler, well done guys, sounds like you had an excellent day. I had one of my better too with a 34ex50 which is good for me although there were a few easy stands.

I was following some of the recent discussion regarding choke and cartridge choice so today i went with cylinder & 1/4 and #8's. Before i used 1/4 & 1/2 and #7.5's. It just goes to show today's combination will still break clays at the typical ranges of my local shoot and at a guesstimate most sporting layouts in my area.

try this for a few weeks markio

unless you'r shooting ball trap dtl or fitasc.

stick 1/4 & 1/2 in use 7 1/2s. if some are going well out i dont change choke ill use 6s instead it works well for me.

and stick to it. for esp or skeet, or compak

if you keep changing chokes, you are altering your patterns and shot string.

I can hit 23 skeet using full and full.

i do no better using cyl and skeet.

when you'r on em your on em.

I also took a trip to Bisley and bought a new toy. But more about that in another post.

You finally splashed out for the leather gimp suit and studded face mask?

You'd like that wouldn't you?

I said another post, not another forum :whistling::good:

Shot greenfields with LB today, 80 birds and hit 24. Was quite content, second go at clays and first go at proper sporting clays and not just the one going away bird! Went round mostly with the lanber but thought I would have a punt with the Benelli Pump at the end, great fun but prefered the lanber B) At least that has helped me with the what gun to buy when I go SGC!

Cupraman, also turnt up on the look for a new Daystate air rifle. No such luck but got to see that lovely car of his :D oh and his wife and son :stupid:

Thanks LB,

Dan

Managed to do my local yesterday with Bazza (The Stalker) and then felt rough. Spent the last day in bed with a high temperature and the shivvers shoving Nurofen down my neck.

Got a competition shoot tomorrow 2.30 p.m. somewhere in Stappleford Abbots which I need to be well for :stupid:

Couldn't make my usual afternoon local shoot so dived off to Parkford for a practice round of skeet followed by a second scored round, managed 21. Not great as i missed H1. :stupid: I chipped a few too. I was rushing as it was a busy day but i wanted to get some clays in at the weekend. Dumb really as i came away feeling rather unfulfilled. :D B)

Edit: If anyone is up for a few rounds of skeet or sporting this coming weekend (2nd June) then let me know. Braintree, Parkford, Clacton etc.

Shot greenfields with LB today, 80 birds and hit 24. Was quite content, second go at clays and first go at proper sporting clays and not just the one going away bird! Went round mostly with the lanber but thought I would have a punt with the Benelli Pump at the end, great fun but prefered the lanber :D At least that has helped me with the what gun to buy when I go SGC!

Cupraman, also turnt up on the look for a new Daystate air rifle. No such luck but got to see that lovely car of his :) oh and his wife and son B)

Thanks LB,

Dan

You are most welcome Naddan and that score of yours is particularly good considering it was your first round of sporting.

BTW, thanks for not mentioning my score :stupid:

Come along again next week mate.

LB

Shot greenfields with LB today, 80 birds and hit 24. Was quite content, second go at clays and first go at proper sporting clays and not just the one going away bird! Went round mostly with the lanber but thought I would have a punt with the Benelli Pump at the end, great fun but prefered the lanber :D At least that has helped me with the what gun to buy when I go SGC!

Cupraman, also turnt up on the look for a new Daystate air rifle. No such luck but got to see that lovely car of his :) oh and his wife and son B)

Thanks LB,

Dan

You are most welcome Naddan and that score of yours is particularly good considering it was your first round of sporting.

BTW, thanks for not mentioning my score :stupid:

Come along again next week mate.

LB

Thanks and I know I didn't want to embrass you on here by mentioning that poor 76 you shot!

Dan

Following on from a very mediocre performance at Hepworth Hall on Saturday, I shot the North of England Championships at Manchester CSC, (AKA Worsley Grange) on Sunday morning.

I think the club tried hard but they struggled to lay on a major event such as this one over 15 stands. The target quality wasn't particularly good, with hardly a decent long crosser on the layout, but plenty of looping teal type birds.

The standard of referreing was also poor, I suspect many of the club regulars had been press ganged to become scorers for the day, and some of them found it a bit too much. Safety cages were badly placed on a few stands, and you risked banging your barrels whilst taking the second target.

All in all, not one that I will remember fondly for years to come, even though my score of 90 was no disgrace. I've no idea who won it, all of the contact numbers for the ground have been switched off, and of course their website has no info at all on it, why give out a number for enquiries if you're not prepared to answer it??

I'm looking forward to the next major event at Wylye Valley next week, that will be a better shoot, a lot slicker, and the scorers won't all sound like bit part players from Corrie..!! :/:/

Cat.

Okay, after spending the last 2 days in bed with a high temperature and what I would describe as mild flu, I took myself, my cabin fever, my anti biotics and lemsip to the Essex Club Championships - 100 bird event over 13 stands held on a farm opposite Stappleford Abbots aerodrome.

Yeah, how stupid? I froze my knackers off and it ****** with rain. By stand 5 I couldn't feel anything - I lost the feeling in my fingers on stand one. The set up looked okay - 1/2 testing and 1/2 hittable - well upto stand 5 anyway which was when I jacked it in.

Complete waste of £25 but it taught me that whilst I love any opportunity to shoot clays, standing in the ******* freezing rain while a gail is blowing is not for me.

The wood on my gun has swollen and everything is soaked through drying out on the boiler, including yours truly.

What a waste of a bank holiday weekend - I feel as though I have been robbed.

EDIT:

Can anyone recommend a particular pocket hand warmer or those disposable thermal packs - if anyone was out selling those at shooting grounds over this weekend they would have cleaned up.

I shot a very poor 30/40 at my local tuesday club night, I just couldn't seem to get in the rythum. There was some hard birds but nothing impossible.

Still made the club team and will be shooting for them on thursday. I am also being classified after last night so we will see how that goes.