How did we all get on today

Mungler

Shot at a local shoot to me today and scored 32ex50. Best I have done there on only my fourth trip there, rain came down half way through and made it tricky as I didn't put a hat on and my glasses were covered, but still should have shot at least another five or so.

Managed to straight one stand, Left to right Battue followed by edge on Left to right crosser. the last stand was two left to right crossers at distance and made all the more tricky by not being able to see the traps behind a huge concrete blast wall. (MC will know where I mean).

I like going up there for a couple of reasons, firstly different layouts each time, secondly tricky but hittable targets, couple of good blokes running it (Have to say that as one has recently joined PW :good: ) and its cheap £5 for fifty birds.

Sorry MC I would have phoned, but it was a bit of a last minute decision. Well actually the missus told me to go as I sulked and got under her feet (Works everytime :good: )

SS

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay,

It was one of the easier set ups today but I got my first 50/50. I was shaking like a leaf on the last pair. Next best score was 46/50.

:good:

mungler what you shooting tin cans off a fence 50/ 50

get up north lad for some serious targets.

unless your diggies bro that is :yes:

I have just shot the Colchester Gun Club, Club Championship and on the first 5 stands shot out of my skin dropping only 3 birds from 42, the last stand was a disgrace. It was a going away mini and a low crossing midi on report. Mini no problem ball of dust every time, low crosser no chance.

I shot over it, under it behind it and in front of it but I didn't bloody well break it.

Finished on 43/50 which is above average but I very much doubt it is good enough for a place. :good::lol:

Never mind there is always tomorrow night. :yes:

martin ive come to the conclusion you southern lads are shooting at static targets.

give yourselves a challenge and come up north. where men are men and the sheep wear lipstick :lol::lol::lol:

there is an awful lot of DTL up here to be fair, im sorry peter, im gonna have to side with the southern boys here. the best sporting is down south! :lol::yes: except north wolds that is, and marne barracks who usually have some good targets on :good:

ps. redrsr, 90ex100 is nothing to ashamed of at all, well shot!

PIN that sounds like a very good showing.

Makes you realise that a good score is made in your head and then with the gun. Weird stuff the mental side - after all, if you can shoot the first pair on any stand then there's no reason why you shouldn't shoot all the rest on that stand.

HHommmmmmmmm - be the clay.

today i shot one of my local small shoots notoriously difficult. high up in the pennines. I have shot **** for 2 weeks,

got there it is ******* down, toss up do we or dont we.

we decided to have a go. I topped em all with 39/50.

summary, old codger, half blind didn't give a toss WON.

thats shooting summed up.

if the sun had been out i'de probably have lost.

Only joking old bean, well, kinda.

I have shot some excellent sporting targets up north, but I do notice a tendency toward trap up there. Just seems there is more interest in it than down here. I mean Bywell seems the home of DTL for instance..

there is an awful lot of DTL up here to be fair, im sorry peter, im gonna have to side with the southern boys here. the best sporting is down south! :lol::lol: except north wolds that is, and marne barracks who usually have some good targets on :good:

PAULOS you must be a southern imigrant look at my website and come and shoot at the reindeer.

you will be welcome, a few tips from us and you will go down south and tub em all

http://www.peters-eaters.co.uk/ :yes:

Shot Three Acres in Essex for the first time today. Nice shoot and managed 60 ex 80 which by my standards was very good. More surprising we drove there in heavy rain but not a drop fell during the shoot - lady luck was on our side!

Nice friendly shoot in a nice location :good:

RedRSR Cockett Farm I presume, it was a good day despite the weather. I only shot the one round of skeet prefer sporting myself and despite hitting most of the clays one of the ones i missed was a flash clay typical :good::yes:

Steve

there is an awful lot of DTL up here to be fair, im sorry peter, im gonna have to side with the southern boys here. the best sporting is down south! ;);) except north wolds that is, and marne barracks who usually have some good targets on :lol:

PAULOS you must be a southern imigrant look at my website and come and shoot at the reindeer.

you will be welcome, a few tips from us and you will go down south and tub em all

http://www.peters-eaters.co.uk/ :lol:

no southern immigrant here, born and bred in sunny yorkshire! :lol::D

its true that there are plenty of sporting shoots up here, just the quality and organisation is slightly lacking compared to that of DTL and skeet. id certainly be up for shooting at the reindeer at some point though :lol: greystone wood is one i intend to try out soon as well, also park lodge.

Back to subject of this thread though, ive had a bad period recently with my scores being as they say in the industry "**** as ****, which reached an embarassing low today when i shot an awful 40/50 reg skeet, followed by a 23/50 sporting :yes::good: . think im going to take a break for a few weeks and see if i can get back in the swing of it :D

there is an awful lot of DTL up here to be fair, im sorry peter, im gonna have to side with the southern boys here. the best sporting is down south! ;);) except north wolds that is, and marne barracks who usually have some good targets on :lol:

http://www.peters-eaters.co.uk/ :lol:

no southern immigrant here, born and bred in sunny yorkshire! :lol::D

its true that there are plenty of sporting shoots up here, just the quality and organisation is slightly lacking compared to that of DTL and skeet. id certainly be up for shooting at the reindeer at some point though :lol: greystone wood is one i intend to try out soon as well, also park lodge.

Back to subject of this thread though, ive had a bad period recently with my scores being as they say in the industry "**** as ****, which reached an embarassing low today when i shot an awful 40/50 reg skeet, followed by a 23/50 sporting :yes::good: . think im going to take a break for a few weeks and see if i can get back in the swing of it :D

hey up lad. I have just had 3 weeks of **** shooting, must be the weather.

then i went out yesterday to the most difficult shoot i go to up on the moors,

outshot em all and finished 39 ex 50 on this shoot 28 is about norm.

went to reindeer today and really struggled to get 28/50.

i think i am dead but i aint lying down just yet.

next shoot at greystone is next saturday if you see the hat say hello///pete///

Hi

Thats exactly the way i went shot skeet a good while eventually all the planets lined up one day after loads of 23/24's and the straight 25 came along funny enough on the next round after a crappy 19 :good: Thats a very good score on the white gold in can be very tricky to know what to shoot first on the pairs well done. Dennis will see you right hes a good bloke.

Had a good week this week. Skeet on Thursday straighted the first 12 birds before a guy suggested I took the low bird first on stand 4. Totally upset my rythm and I dropped them both. Didn't miss another to get my best skeet score yet, then this morning shot 35/40 at my local club shoot only to onlt score 4 on the last stand to go 39/50. I think high gun was 40 but I haven't seen the scores yet. Massively p'd off about the last stand. I know now that I took my foor off the gas as I was doing so well. :good:

Well done Gully, good to see you've got the Skeet bug, that will certainly help your Sporting scores. :good:

Generally speaking, most people take the high bird first on Skeet station 4 doubles, but it all depends on the wind, if one bird is zipping downwind with the wind up its ***, then that's obviously the one to shoot first. In those situations, the second bird will frequently be stalling and almost motionless, so be careful you don't miss it in front... :good::rolleyes:

I nipped across to 4 Counties today near Newbury to shoot their 70 bird registered Sporting. The weather was awful on the way down, but it perked up a bit when I got there, shot an 8 ex 10 on the pool.. :good::good: , having said that, nobody bettered that on my squad of 5.

I then started on stand 9, a long right to left dropping crosser, on report a fast zippy looper, well I missed all of the r/L crossers, and one looper,to score 3 ex 8, what a ****** :/:good:

I gave myself a good talking to, then straighted the next 5 stands, dropped another 2 birds out of the remaining 62, to finish on a 63 ex 70.

I've no idea what won it, I'd guess at a 67 or 68, unless Boy Wonder (AKA Faulds) turned up, in which case you could be looking at a 69/70 straight.

It's a great little club, the organisers try hard to put on a varied layout, well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Cat.

Well done Gully, good to see you've got the Skeet bug, that will certainly help your Sporting scores. :good:

Cheers Cat, It has done I think - taught me that its a mind game - there's nothing difficult about skeet except hitting them. Also the ABT they have at Cupid Green has taught me a lot about trap targets.

I'm gutted after today as I shot the last stand first - a pair of simo crossers which turned in towards the stand. They were at about 30 yds and moving fast. Immediately after I shot the wind changed and the clays were hovering in about 15 yards off the stand. skeet chokes and no 9 shot - the rest of my squad were shooting 8's and 9's.

Cheers Cat, It has done I think - taught me that its a mind game - there's nothing difficult about skeet except hitting them. Also the ABT they have at Cupid Green has taught me a lot about trap targets.

I'm gutted after today as I shot the last stand first - a pair of simo crossers which turned in towards the stand. They were at about 30 yds and moving fast. Immediately after I shot the wind changed and the clays were hovering in about 15 yards off the stand. skeet chokes and no 9 shot - the rest of my squad were shooting 8's and 9's.

Hmmm,

That's the way it goes I'm afraid, the wind certainly picked up big time around here late morning, still, hopefully it will add to your "jigsaw puzzle" of experience, and another piece will be there in place, so you won't get caught out next time..??

With regards to Skeet, yes, it is a mind game, I well remember shooting the first 75 straight up at Mepal GC near Cambridge many years back, the final 25 was a real ordeal, when I got to station 4 doubles, (and still straight..!!), my knees were literally knocking, and I was fumbling to get the shells into the breech, I had to completely focus on the targets, a nuclear bomb could have gone off nearby and I wouldn't have heard it, I was that focussed..!!

Well, I got the pair, then cruised to my first ever 100 straight.

I was so pleased with that, it really sticks in your mind, I gave up serious Skeet shooting after that and stuck to Sporting, all I can say is, hang in there, Skeet is fabulous practice for Sporting.

Cat.

I've yet to shoot 25 straight, at cupid grn everyone pretends not to notice until you call your last bird. The problem is that I drive an hour and a half through rush hour traffic immediately before hand - not the best way to get in 'the zone'.

I shot with Suffolkshooter last night at my local tuesday night haunt, not a particularly testing layout and finished on 27/30. I can't remember how SS got on, I think it was 18/30 but stand to be corrected.

I did think he had found some form and would be chasing me hard after he beat me by one on the first stand, I dropped 2 and he dropped 1. My worries were put to bed on the 2nd stand as after he helped set it up, and he told me they would be nice and easy he missed quite a few.

I dropped 1 on that stand and straighted the last.

With a little bit more concentration It should have been easily straightable.