How did we all get on today

Mungler

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot the Colchester Gun Club versus Maplestead Gun Club last night, Some ridiculous targets at angles you never normally shoot.

Maplestead Gun Club is big on FITASC so a lot of the stands were set up in this way.

I finished on 40/50 so just above my average, I was 2nd in my squad beating the current Essex County FITASC Champion.

High gun in our squad was 42 and I don't think there were many scores above that.

I shot at Wylye yesterday. It's the South West England Selection Shoot. It was a lovely day, had to get the factor 50 out to save my fair skin :blush:

Got there around 1.30pm and we didn't wait on any stands so we were straight in which I don't always like, but it was ok. I normally like to stand and watch a few people and get a plan in my head of how to shoot. It wasn't what I would say a very difficult shoot but there's a lot out there you can easily miss and in fact I watched a could AAs drop a fair few on several stands which I would have thought they'd straight. Even though it was a fine day there was a bit of wind and some of the clays were affected, they seemed to be coming out all over the place at the far end of the ground. I don't know what it'll be like today because it's certainly windier. I finished on 77 which I was fairly pleased about. It was at the top end of B Class when I left. I had a mare on 2 stands and straighted a few but then 2 away 1 away on all the others. It all adds up in the end. My friend shot 89 which was brilliant he's not been shooting too well over the last 12 months but just recently he's back on form.

The pool shoot was good, I started there just to warm up. 20 bird compact which was quite difficult, I managed a 13 which was ok.

Spotted Emmsy and AA Man there, they both put in good scores. :blush:

I think some of you are shooting it today so good luck, shoot well and enjoy. :blush:

Jonsey

Guest AA MAN
I shot at Wylye yesterday. It's the South West England Selection Shoot. It was a lovely day, had to get the factor 50 out to save my fair skin :blush:

Got there around 1.30pm and we didn't wait on any stands so we were straight in which I don't always like, but it was ok. I normally like to stand and watch a few people and get a plan in my head of how to shoot. It wasn't what I would say a very difficult shoot but there's a lot out there you can easily miss and in fact I watched a could AAs drop a fair few on several stands which I would have thought they'd straight. Even though it was a fine day there was a bit of wind and some of the clays were affected, they seemed to be coming out all over the place at the far end of the ground. I don't know what it'll be like today because it's certainly windier. I finished on 77 which I was fairly pleased about. It was at the top end of B Class when I left. I had a mare on 2 stands and straighted a few but then 2 away 1 away on all the others. It all adds up in the end. My friend shot 89 which was brilliant he's not been shooting too well over the last 12 months but just recently he's back on form.

The pool shoot was good, I started there just to warm up. 20 bird compact which was quite difficult, I managed a 13 which was ok.

Spotted Emmsy and AA Man there, they both put in good scores. :blush:

I think some of you are shooting it today so good luck, shoot well and enjoy. :blush:

Jonsey

Spotted Emmsy and AA Man there, they both put in good scores

Thanks, I went with Emmsy.

He did an 87 the same as Faulds which is a great Accomplishment!

I did a 91

Oli Baker shot a massive 96 - which was excellent considering we watched him miss his last pair on the long crossers and he was already 2 away and this was half way round, he then tore up the rest of the course!

I thought the course was a little tame and i think if a good AAA shot who straights the long crossers (only 3 pairs) at about 35 and 40 yards can put in a 100 straight if the concentration is there.

Come over and introduce yourself next time, would love to meet you if i dont already know you!!

Any one know the full results!!!

91? That's a great score.

A Yorshireman won the shoot with 97. S Pears is his name, he's never shot Wylye before and no-one knows his first name. Cracking score though you have to agree.

Ollie Baker and Shaun Stacey had a shoot off for South West Champ and runner up, Ollie came out top. Hurrah for Ollie and Wiltshire. :angry::lol::P

I don't know any other scores, my friend who works the desk is too tired to text anymore after 2 days work on top of her normal job, she's retired with a gin and tonic I think. :drool: The staff at Wylye are always good, Ian runs a good shoot. Not to mention his wife is the best cake maker in the entire world. YUM

Any more scores out there?

Jonsey

Yes, one more score to add, I've got to hang my head in shame to record a miserable 87, :angry::lol::P I got off to a good start, straighted the first 3 stands, then just kept missing the odd one or two, and yes, they all add up to wreck your card. :drool::drool:

I thought it was a good layout, a tad deceptive but nothing stupid, the toughest stand was about no 6 or 7??, with a R/L standard coming down the hill, followed by a L/R midi crosser, I dropped 2 there, so not a total disaster but definitely a "could do better" shoot, the only consolation is that I equalled Faulds score, :drool:, but so did dozens of others.. :D:D

Jonsey's put in another super performance, well done that scouser.. :drool::drool: , the marvellous selection of cakes obviously got you all fired up, ( I loved the lemon drizzle sponge.. :good::D )

See you all at the Classic next week..??

Cat.

Did the 4 Counties registered shoot and shot it birds only.

Short version it was going quite well and then the wheels came off on one stand (high tower from over rght shoulder quartering) tried 4 different ways to miss it and they all worked :P

That was it really, balls'd up the next stand still thinking about the last one and with only 3 or 4 pairs per stand it was all over.

A disapointing 42/70, should have been high 40's if not low 50 - there was nothing silly there just some nice 'think about it' type clays.

Oh well, it's time to get the rod out anyway.

Mr Faulds and Tanya(?) did turn up, when we left he was trying to straight the pool.

He was smoking them all apart from one, I would imagine he hit that not long after we left . .

Funny things were:

The nudge nudge trying not to point and stare from shooters who have never him before when he walked in the clubhouse, and the young girl asking him for his name behind the counter when he ordered his brekkie :angry: well, she wasn't to know, but it made everyone else laugh.

When my mate wanted confirmation he had killed the second rabbit, and scorer making it quite clear he had in fact hit the target - the worlds gone mad.

They even put 'H' and not 'K' on the scorecards ... if only Martincavie was there for that one :lol:

It just goes to show that the Clay PIGEON SHOOTING Association listen to their members. Maybe we should send them a link to this forum so they can come on here the same way that David from the BASC does.

I have e mailled them asking why they are insisting on pursuing this despite being defeated and they are ignoring me at the moment.

I make a point of putting K's on scorecards, although most of the shoots I go on it is not an issue.

They is a very fitting word for the CPSA but I would probably could a yellow card for it. It rhymes with anchors though and begins with W

Come over and introduce yourself next time, would love to meet you if i dont already know you!!

blimey turkey, you know who it is, the lovely lady in question even said hello to you!! :lol:

well an 87 looked ok on paper but i was rather unhappy with that, should have been 5 or 6 more without too much effort. didnt start too well, overleading a lot of targets, only seemed to shoot anygood if i never moved the gun and spot shooted it all. :angry:

:angry: I think he was counting his score when we passed each other, running out of fingers and having to start again :lol:

I did my fair share of overleading targets too.

More annoyingly though most of my misses were last pairs. I could kick myself because honestly I could have have 8 on my score. Not joking either, confident as anything quite relaxed and then miss miss. Argh!!!!!

Still no point in beating myself up now, it's all over. I'll just have to concentrate more in future.

I'm shooting the Classic on friday, I've heard some rumours it's very tricky but then they come out before all the majors. I think it'll be fun and I'm looking forward to it. :P

Jonsey

good luck,

i havent entered any biggies except for the english, to me its getting far too overpriced for what payout and quality of shooting they give :angry:

its getting a joke now some grounds are charging £35 for a 100 registered sporting yet the payout hasnt gone up anymore! £37 for wylye stung my pocket and put me in a bad mood before i started shooting !!

im told westfield are one of the grounds @ £35 so i shall not be visiting them for a while, im better off going to my local club and paying less than £20 for 100 targets instead and probably get better birds with less chance of me getting shot !! :lol:

It just goes to show that the Clay PIGEON SHOOTING Association listen to their members. Maybe we should send them a link to this forum so they can come on here the same way that David from the BASC does.

I have e mailled them asking why they are insisting on pursuing this despite being defeated and they are ignoring me at the moment.

I make a point of putting K's on scorecards, although most of the shoots I go on it is not an issue.

They is a very fitting word for the CPSA but I would probably could a yellow card for it. It rhymes with anchors though and begins with W

Martin,

I'm not surprised they're ignoring you, you're not even a member of the CPSA.

Cat.

Cat,

Out of curtesy you would think that they would answer a question when asked. They were the ones who had phoned me to find out why I hadn't renewed my membership.

I am quite sure if you e mailled any of the other shooting organisations a question they would have the common decency to at least answer your question member or not.

Or do you think they are above all that?

Cat,

Out of curtesy you would think that they would answer a question when asked. They were the ones who had phoned me to find out why I hadn't renewed my membership.

I am quite sure if you e mailled any of the other shooting organisations a question they would have the common decency to at least answer your question member or not.

Or do you think they are above all that?

Martin,

Well, as they say, "like it or lump it", unfortunately if you want to shoot clays in serious competitions, you have to be a member of the CPSA.

Many people aspire to representing their County, Area or even their Country in the sport they love, and that can only come via the organising body, the CPSA.

I've been a member since the early 80's, and yes, I would agree that many aspects of their organisation has been lacking over that period, but I believe you're cutting off your wotnots to spite your face if you resign in protest over their recent name change fiasco.

Changes can be made to the status quo provided you go about it in a sensible manner, last year I lobbied the Management Commitee over the way the British Open Sporting was being run, I suggested changes to the awful squadding system, and I couldn't understand why previous winners were being given a free ticket to the final, well, believe it or not, the CPSA listened and now the rules have been changed accordingly.

Isn't that amazing..??

Some may say, "They listened to you because they know you've been around on the Sporting scene for some time and enjoyed the odd bit of success", but I honestly believe that they will listen to feedback from members, so my advice is to rejoin, and lobby from within to make the changes we all know are right.

Cat.

Cat,

Your response "Like it or lump it" just goes to prove what I have said, Why can't the CPSA answer the question that I have asked? I had a guy from the cpsa phone me to ask why I had not renewed my membership, it was not convenient at the time to speak to him and he said he would call me back within an hour.

That was well over 6 months ago.

You could also say that they made changes to the way the British Open was run because you pointed out an error and they then realised it and made the change.

When it was the management of the said organisation who proposed the name change they are not going to publicly admit that they ******D up.

Why has the chairman resigned?

And also why is it that if you want to shoot "serious" competitions then you have to be a member? There isn't many sports that enjoy this monopoly. I shoot serious rifle competitions but do not have to be a member of the NSRA, although I am.

I have also read on their website that you have to be a full member not just a clubman to shoot in their competitions, what a con. Why offer a substandard service? If you join then you should be able to get the benefits, not just half of them.

If the clubman membership is aimed at the person who doesn't want to shoot in the "serious" competitions then why fleece more money out of the people that do? If the same insurance etc can be offered at a much lower price then why can't they do it for everybody?

It is not as if they have lots of ranges to manage.

You pay more to be a member and then more to shoot, double bubble all round for them.

Martin

Has the Chairman resigned..??

That's news to me.

With regards to Clubman membership, it is aimed at club level members who have no desire to compete in Registered events, you presumably pay a lower rate to join, but enjoy fewer benefits..??

I'm also pretty sure that in any sport that I can think of, if you want to compete at a serious level, you have to be a member of the governing body for that sport, that surely makes sense, because if you weren't a member you wouldn't be bound by the rules of the sport as set by that body.

That would lead to all sorts of problems..??

Imagine a golfer qualifying for the British Open who wasn't a member of the PGA, it simply wouldn't happen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that the CPSA is perfect, far from it, but I do believe the best way to effect change is from within, not resigning and then expecting them to listen to comments from an ex member.

Cat.

Yesterday I was asked to help with a corporate day at my friends shooting ground. 15 PR lovies were having their annual team building day.

It was brilliant, i don't do much coaching, maybe 3 or 4 of these types of things a year. I had a group of 5 2 of them had shot before and 3 hadn't. Took them round 4 stands, each stand had nice slow clays that you saw for a long time and could shoot in a few different places. It's difficult to guage exactly how much information to give a novice and I had one girl in my group that didn't hit anything on the first stand at all and she struggled in the next stand too but did hit them towards the end. The next stand was a going away target so I just told her to see it on the end of the barrel and shoot it, don't think about it just pull the trigger. She was well away then, and didn't miss a single clay. She was absolutely brilliant. :good:

We finished the day off with a team flush which we demonstrated first and I shot it with a 28g with 26 inch barrels, it was like a spud gun, but so much fun. :yes:

To finish off the day we had to nominate from each group the person we thought had improved the most for the Challenge cup so I obviously nominated the girl that struggled in my group and there was a little shoot off between the 3 people. My girl won and I was absolutely delighted for her. She was jumping all over the place, so excited. Hopefully she got very drunk last night at their PR Lovey evening meal. ???

Jonsey

I shot my local club shoot this morning and struggled to get to 40/50. It was a reasonably hard set up made a bit harder by over eager people packing the stands away before our squad had shot them.

Quite pleased with my score although I should have done better, missed some easy birds (going away D'OH!!!)

I shot 50 sporting at Gatwick clays. I entered the last stand with a score of 35 ex 40, with 10 to go. Must get a decent score, right?

I left that stand with a total of ...

36 ex 50 :good: 1 from the last 10 ! Grrr !

who got exited then.

i never look at my scorecard till ive done I do just the same thing.

last week I got onto stand 6 at skeet,

and my bud said hey up pete 25s on here.

I got 23. he got out of the pond OK