How did we all get on today

Mungler

76 at Wylye, 80 at Upavon which puts me spot on my CPSA 78% average, but know that could've, should've done a bit better

there is a skill that i need to acquire of shooting an unfamiliar ground on sight stand by stand, this i believe is what sets some of the better shots apart from the rest

and yes they were behaving better than at Ham Cross, but i think they were missing the old fella who instigated all those group hugs :lol::good:

TP

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I reckon you were capable of better than a 76 at Wylye..??

It's one of those grounds where you get a lot of looping or dropping birds off the high banks, most of them don't need much lead, unlike Southdown, where a bus length or two is often required to connect.

Still, it's good to see that you're shooting plenty of new grounds, take it from me, it's the only way to improve, we'll see you at 4 Counties soon..??

Cat.

Well I went and had a nice social 50 bird round with a few of the syndicate members at a village charity shoot held on part of our estates land on Sunday.

Weather was extremely hot at 9.30 when I turned up first to scout the competition bumping in to some guys I hadn't seen for a while at my local clay clubs. My three friends turned up and we opted to shoot the cartridge class, only because it was cheaper than the other classes and because we weren't taking it seriously.

Decided to have a warm up on the pool shoot, those who were at the Esseex masters know my feelings about the pool shoot warmup theory of if you have a bad round it causes mental problems. I went first out of our group and well lets just say that out of twelve birds (6 pairs) from 3 traps I did myself no favours, I managed four ex 12. Thing was I then watched the others thinking I am in for a hiding when the others scored 0ex12, 1ex12 and 3ex12. :yes:

I ended the shoot itself with 26 ex 50 after a disastrous start on stand 1 (going away followed by R/L crosser in small gap) scoring 4ex10, second stand abit better 8ex10 L/R quartering crosser followed by R/L battue. Third stand 6ex10 L/R flyer of a rising crosser with a Rabbit looper into the sun, fourth stand 6ex10 sim pair high quartering going away with low incomer and fifth stand a very frustrating 2ex10 R/L crossing almost skimming the top of the uncut wheat (I'm sure the owner is going to be happy about the de-headed wheat) followed by a L/R edge on battuey type thing going like the clappers.

The others scored 24ex50, 21ex50 and ??ex50 (She wouldn't tell us as she felt embaressed). I have to say that whilst the going was hard, the course was nice and varied with i felt the right sort of difficulty for a local shoot. Should have done better, but hey ho.

Mind you looks like the pheasants will be safe for another year if we all carry on shooting like that though :(

SS :lol:

Hmmm.............All I can is that if Pin & Gully continue to improve at their current rate, Digweed and Faulds will have some serious competition to worry about in a couple of years...!! :rolleyes::lol:

They both shot extremely well, Pins timing on the pairs was absolutely spot on, Gully had a more relaxed style, very akin to an accomplished game shot, but still powdering those targets.

I'm afraid my performance was very lacklustre, had hoped to shoot the 75 straight but it was not to be, I definitely need more practice at this game..!! :lol:

Cat.

Praise indeed, cheers Cat.

It was an interesting evening. More than half of those there tonight were warming up for the open and, because of the number and quality of guns there tonight, seemed to be under pressure a bit. I've seen mst of them straight every round before but none could do it tonight and conditions were perfect. Good luck for Saturday.

Hmmm.............All I can is that if Pin & Gully continue to improve at their current rate, Digweed and Faulds will have some serious competition to worry about in a couple of years...!! :rolleyes::lol:

They both shot extremely well, Pins timing on the pairs was absolutely spot on, Gully had a more relaxed style, very akin to an accomplished game shot, but still powdering those targets.

I'm afraid my performance was very lacklustre, had hoped to shoot the 75 straight but it was not to be, I definitely need more practice at this game..!! :lol:

Cat.

Enough of the "Love in" Cat, what did you score??

SS

Hmmm.............All I can is that if Pin & Gully continue to improve at their current rate, Digweed and Faulds will have some serious competition to worry about in a couple of years...!! :P:lol:

Cat.

SS

Well, I did a 23 on the first round, (missed high 2 twice..!! :lol::lol: ), followed by a 24 then another 24.

No excuses for such a poor performance, although the sun was in my eyes on the second round, and I shot at low 7 too quickly and went right up the left hand side of it.

Pin was going well at one point, minced up target with ease up until missing a low 6 on the pairs, really thought he was on for a straight, poor chap turned around to us and said "Did I miss that?", we all chorused "Fraid so..!!", but as Gully said, there were surprisingly few straights.

We have to be at Bisley by 8.30 tomorrow, however I've been invited to a heavy session down in the City tonight :rolleyes: , but I reckon I ought to be tucked up in bed by 9pm with a mug of Ovaltine instead..!! :D

Cat.

Hmmm.............All I can is that if Pin & Gully continue to improve at their current rate, Digweed and Faulds will have some serious competition to worry about in a couple of years...!! :P:lol:

I'm afraid my performance was very lacklustre, had hoped to shoot the 75 straight but it was not to be, I definitely need more practice at this game..!! :D

Cat.

SS

Well, I did a 23 on the first round, (missed high 2 twice..!! :lol::lol: ), followed by a 24 then another 24.

No excuses for such a poor performance, although the sun was in my eyes on the second round, and I shot at low 7 too quickly and went right up the left hand side of it.

Pin was going well at one point, minced up target with ease up until missing a low 6 on the pairs, really thought he was on for a straight, poor chap turned around to us and said "Did I miss that?", we all chorused "Fraid so..!!", but as Gully said, there were surprisingly few straights.

We have to be at Bisley by 8.30 tomorrow, however I've been invited to a heavy session down in the City tonight :rolleyes: , but I reckon I ought to be tucked up in bed by 9pm with a mug of Ovaltine instead..!! :lol:

Cat.

Cat,

Knowing you set high standards for yourself, I'm sure this was a ******, but I'm sure that most of us will think that a very good score 71ex75 :lol: I personally have a problem with High one, more of a mental block than anything else, as I miss in the same place regardless of ground I am on, shooting down the right hand side. I miss others but randomly, and normally through not mounting gun properly or my old favorite of taking the gun to far back to the trap house, then playing catch up and missing behind.

Pin,

"Did I miss that?", that's a new one, thought it was "I chipped that!!!". Only joking mate. I am deffo up for being your gun carrier/loader at High lodge mate, when is it again and what time are you getting there for?

SS

West London sporting targets today with StealthStalker and GaryB. Reasonable performance on the compaq and pro-matic but annoyed with the skeet again. 49ex50, the miss was high 3, nowhere near it :lol:

One of these days I will shoot 50 straight, can't be far off now :rolleyes:

Speaking of Skeet guns, back in 1987 I made the England Sporting team for the first time and we shot up at a ground way up in bonny Scotland called Strathoykel, near Lairg, it's that far oop North, just short of John A Groats.

Anyway, I had the good fortune to be paired up with fellow England first timer Kerry D, (Digweed also made the team that year, I think it was his one and only appearance), well we both got to the first stand, 4 pairs of very long edge on incomers, that were dropping at least 50 yards out, edge on all the way, a real tester.

Whilst waiting to shoot, we eyed up each other's guns, I was horrified to see she was shooting a 26" barrelled skeet gun, when I commented that these would be a tad tough for a very open choked gun, she said, "No problem, I use this gun for literally everything".

Anyway she walked in the stand, cool as the proverbial cucumber and hit 7 out of the 8, absolutely amazing.

Sometimes I think it's all in the mind...!! :rolleyes:

Cat.