Recommend me a weedkiller

Wiggum

Can anyone recommend me a weed killer that I can use to kill off the weeds in an old flower boarder that we are seeding with grass seed to extend the lawn. I will be digging out as much as I can prior to prepping the ground for the grass seed cheers.

I would not bother digging before using a systematic killer like glyphosate based roundup or similar. When you start digging you will undoubtedly split/spread and cultivate weeds particularly dock,and dandelion.

Spray and leave for a few weeks then repeat. A long job but an improvement over a quick job.

I would not bother digging before using a systematic killer like glyphosate based roundup or similar. When you start digging you will undoubtedly split/spread and cultivate weeds particularly dock,and dandelion.

Spray and leave for a few weeks then repeat. A long job but an improvement over a quick job.

Agreed,keep spraying emerging weeds over the summer,seed early autumn.

I used some of this to kill some weeds that I just could not get rid of and it worked better than I expected it is some nasty stuff so I would not use it near any food plants.

It's one of the safer weedkillers on market, I wouldn't drink it neat though.

Or spray it on your lettuce.

Well it's supposed to be in the very very low toxicity group. So maybe with a little extra Salad cream on it I may.

They have recently been saying it's carcinogenic. But then they have to blame something.

Round up/glyco phosphate pretty much kills anything, but it has to land on green leaf and will kill the roots of the plant, i'd spray with that 1st and leave for 10 days or so to let it work down to the roots.

If anything else comes up after u have sown ur grass DON'T USE ROUND UP, it will kill ur grass too

They reckon the reps at shows would actually drink it as so safe, but it is being acused of being caringenic now, but so's everything.

U do get other weedkillers that are safe to spray on grass that kill broad leaved weeds, i was just spraying some Blast/Headland Flail yest, even last nite u could see the docks fair withering after only a few hours, it is great on nettles/docks etc but leaves grass untoched

In a former life I ran teams of blokes planting trees for British Coal Opencast.

In the summer we would walk the trees with a knapsack of gramoxone on our backs,shirts off ,shorts and trainers,no face masks,nothing.

i hope it won't come back to haunt us.

When we did our PA1 PA 6a and all that,it was an eye opener.

There is a report that says glyphosate might be carcinogenic. There is also an equally valid report that says it probably isn't.

There's also a report that sausages are carcinogenic.

Most of the arguments over glyphosate are political as much as anything.

Good stuff but don't get it on plants you don't want to kill. (it tends to kill them)

As for putting it on food plants, wheat often gets a dose just before harvest. I don't like that idea myself but perfectly legal in a very regulated industry.

Glyphosphate is only licensed until the end of the month, The EU were to have made a decision whether to ban it on the day of the referendum but that was delayed so it will be made this week. If anybody needs to guarantee they will get some then buy it now. When I got mine last week the courier said he had about 30 deliveries of it on that day alone. It's what our farmer friends burn off the weeds with so goodness knows what they'll do without it, on Farming Today I was given to understand there is no current alternative, it might disadvantage our farming industry on the world markets.

In the summer we would walk the trees with a knapsack of gramoxone on our backs,shirts off ,shorts and trainers,no face masks,nothing.

i hope it won't come back to haunt us.

When we did our PA1 PA 6a and all that,it was an eye opener.

That stuff was used extensively in the nursery industry right up until the '70's - killed anything!