Best auto shotgun to buy

Wingman

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the top of the list so far is the Benelli but I may also try out the new A5, I really like the 125th celebration edition!

Both very good choices and the new A5 uses the same inertia system as the tried and tested Benellis.

I actually own one of the 125th Anniversary A5 (bought new from McAvoy Guns) and it is a gorgeous gun. It shoots really well for me and I would certainly recommend the new Browning A5 to anyone.

I also own 3 Benelli shotguns... M1 Super 90 (8-shot), M2 Practical (10-shot) and the new 828U Over & Under... so it is safe to say that I am a huge Benelli fan. :good:

Of all the shotguns that I own, the two that I shoot the best with by far is the Browning A5 and my Benelli M2 Practical. Some people into Practical / 3-gun shooting are actually using FAC versions of the new Browning A5 with good success. The Browning A5 has a useful auto-load feature.

The only issue that I had with my A5 at first was that it would not cycle 67mm cartridges, once I realised the problem and switched to 70mm cartridges it has shot flawlessly!

We had an Arab chap on the shoot who reckoned a Benelli Super Black Eagle was the most reliable. "Three weeks in the desert and it never jams".

Useful info, it should be spot on for rural Buckinghamshire then! :)

My shortlist so far is as follows:

1. Benelli SuperSport

2. Browning A5 Ultimate Ducks or Partridge or a 125th Edition (if I find one)

3. Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic

4. Beretta A400 Xcel (although I dont like the one with the blue action)

I looked at the Remi yesterday at AGL and really liked it so that is still a strong contender, but I like the idea of having a new A5 to compliment my 1936 Auto-5!

Edited by Wingman

Out of those four the Remington 1100 its a tried and tested design been out 53 years now sold millions and for good reason its strong reliable well finished low on felt recoil straight out of the box i have never seen a factory gun fit so well, its dimensions and ballance are superb and it realy is a one size fits most shotgun, any normal european person can pick up an 1100 and perform pretty well with it as it comes.

All the faults are known these guns are popular the world over and after all these years are still very much a gun worth buying.

Anyway you know why you keep mentioning it as much as me, its because you like the way it feels and handles Dont you.? :);)

They feel right because they are right, Not had an 1100 or 1187 for about 4 years now, but i picked a new 1167 synthetic up the other day, and ok it was not a featherlight shotgun, but it just came up swung and handled perfect, its just what these Remingtons do. :)

The problem with the Remington 1100 is that it is a mucky gas gun and you have to keep replacing the gas O-rings. You don't have any of that hassle with either the Benelli or the new A5.

Well I've had 1100s for ages, just got rid of one and have one left.

Can't agree with having to KEEP replacing the O ring seals.

The problem with the Remington 1100 is that it is a mucky gas gun and you have to keep replacing the gas O-rings. You don't have any of that hassle with either the Benelli or the new A5.

Sure you dont need to clean the gas area like an 1100, but Benellis still need just as much maintainance to keep them reliable, and are far more fussy about the lubrication than an 1100 1187 is, and o rings are pennys and simply not a factor, just throw one or two in the cars trucks you have another in your shooting jackets, they dont go very often anyway, but handy to have one if you need it to hand in the field.

Your right TonyR and well spotted that I keep going back to the 1100 having handled one yesterday I really like it..Alot.. I have had an 11-87 before and it never let me down in the 5 or so years I owned it and during that time I think I replaced the o ring once not because I had to but cos' I thought it was time to do it. In any case its just a bog standard Viton O-ring, I probably have thousands of them at work and a bagful will probably cost a couple of quid. The one I saw had very pretty wood but ideally I want a synthetic so may see if they can get me one in.

Sure you dont need to clean the gas area like an 1100, but Benellis still need just as much maintainance to keep them reliable, and are far more fussy about the lubrication than an 1100 1187 is, and o rings are pennys and simply not a factor, just throw one or two in the cars trucks you have another in your shooting jackets, they dont go very often anyway, but handy to have one if you need it to hand in the field.

It is all down to personal preference I guess. No one can argue that there is less to clean on a Benelli M1 / M2.... Life would be boring if we all liked the same thing ;)

I personally tend to like Benelli and Browning semi-autos but I do have experience of hundreds of different shotguns by virtue of having a Father who has probably now owned in excess of a 1,000 shotguns..... he is 82 and it is something of a standing joke with people asking "What have you bought this week" :huh:

It is all down to personal preference I guess. No one can argue that there is less to clean on a Benelli M1 / M2.... Life would be boring if we all liked the same thing ;)

I personally tend to like Benelli and Browning semi-autos but I do have experience of hundreds of different shotguns by virtue of having a Father who has probably now owned in excess of a 1,000 shotguns..... he is 82 and it is something of a standing joke with people asking "What have you bought this week" :huh:

I Have been around the tracks myself, And as i said earlier i still have a Benelli well a breda version 3.5 inch, nothing wrong with them whatsoever, but there is nothing wrong with the Remington 1100 1187 range either.

I Have been around the tracks myself, And as i said earlier i still have a Benelli well a breda version 3.5 inch, nothing wrong with them whatsoever, but there is nothing wrong with the Remington 1100 1187 range either.

I agree... nothing wrong with a Remington 1100 / 1187 ..... tried and tested.

A400 probably a ok gun, but i just cant take to them, i just dont see what they offer for the money, how do the warant the price.

One of my favourate shotguns of all time is the old 301 302 and 303 Berettas, i have a steel action B80 version i will never sell,

Extrena mk1 and even the mk 2 i like them and they were ok priced, but now the A400 its just got too little for too much money.

Not critisising your gun choice just saying how i personaly feel they fit in thats all.

Probably a very valid point, I don't know what any semi auto 'offers' over others though to a point? No different to anything else where certain manufacturers products can command more money, be it kudos or whatever.

Money wasn't really an issue for me to be honest or I'd have just kept the old one, I just like them aesthetically over all the others and the way they handle suits me....the fact it's a proper left hander was the only reason I swapped out my al391 which I bought new.

Personally I don't think £1,300 odd is expensive for a top end auto so to speak but can see why people buy the cheapies.