Brexit - Merged Threads

mick miller

I can't help feeling, given the coverage on television, the post-referendum debates (why do we need these?) that the general groundswell of populist opinion is now:

• Anyone that voted for BREXIT is too stupid to understand what it meant

• They only voted because it was a) a protest vote against the establishment b) they were racist right-wing fascists c) they believed the BREXIT'ers lies

• They didn't understand the real ramifications of their choice

• The minority voters (REMAIN) were actually the erudite, free thinking, non-rascist ones and should be listened to (mainly because they read the Guardian)

The longer this goes on, on TV, radio & social media the more I feel that the vote will be overturned, or a second referendum held (neverendum), Article 50 will never happen and we'll stay in the EU, maybe with a slightly negotiated position (paraded as real reform).

If this continues and we, as the majority, are ignored I really do feel that the EU and those that regard themselves as the real 'intelligentsia' will have to hold their hands up to the rise of the extremist far-right and everything that comes with it, believing, as I do, that the root of this ugly sentiment across the continent of Europe is borne from the policies of the EU, the lack of democracy and the associated Shengen agreements / free movement of labour (see immigration).

What thinks thee?

Edited by mick miller

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the turmoil going on in the Conservative and Libour parties I think it is a distinct possibility that a general election is called before Article 50 is invoked. Then all parties, bar UKIP, include within their mannifesto to remain within the EU. Then it becomes a everybody vs UKIP election. UKIP would do well but not well enough (especially with tactical voting and agreements not to challenge specific seats) and the party that wins says that the election results trumps the referendum.

Could be the start of civil unrest if the so called 'intelligent citizens' and Government ignore the democratic will of the majority.

That would be amusing. Watching you lot tear lumps out of each other after the scare mongering that a brexit vote would lead to an implosion in northern Ireland!

Will you be sporting red and white roses again? Or round tin helmets and big floppy jobs with feathers in?

Edited by Dr D

Unfortunately I feel there is a real danger of this, otherwise why the brain washing under the guise of post vote autopsy... Not normally a conspiracy theorist but something doesn't smell right

its all very very quiet................i bet there are great machinashions a' goin' orn..................the longer it goes on the more damage will occur........there will be a mega news conference tomorrow betchya............nature abhores a vacumn

I must admit to a nagging sense of unease regarding this issue. I was a little reassured after watching Questiontime earlier this evening when the consensus amongst the panel including the normally rabid Diane Abbott, admitted that we had to honour the vote. Alex Salmond did little but press his usual agenda.

Cameron, by resigning, has reneged on his declared intent to invoke article 50, and has in effect left that to his replacement, leaving them between a rock and a hard place with no deals on the table beforehand.

Will the PM in waiting ( Boris?) do it with nothing in writing to offer the populace? It would be the end of democracy in my opinion if we now remained.

We live in interesting times.

Cameron has resigned but stays in proxy for a few months what else could he do? Without authority how could he assemble a brexit team / start the process of gaining consensus on what we want from brexit (apart from the exit itself) ?

Surely its better to make the EU wait whilst we get our house in order prior to pressing the button on Art 50? Imagine trying to write up the plan :) and getting agreement from across the different divides. I am not sure it can be done without an election. There has to be some sort of cross house consensus to what in effect will be a new constitutional framework.

My gut tells me no! Cameron has bought time by staying in post but refusing to invoke Article 50, and handing that responsibility to his successor! the political classes will have or be working on a strategy for overturning the democratic will of the people of the U.K.

It's just the way in which the media is going balls out for a 'it's a cock-up and the idiots in little England didn't understand the question' type approach, conditioning those who were less certain of their vote to accept the status quo when its presented as 'the least worse option', or that 'it was only an advisory'.

We'll wait and see, I hope not. I really do believe the EU is solely responsible for the rise of far-right sentiments in Europe, in the UK this referendum and the result, if acted upon, should quell any such sentiments with immediate effect. Thus, we can all go back to bowls on the lawn and tiffin at 3pm.

There's absolutely no way on earth the result will be overturned.

The implications worldwide would be enormous. We would turn, overnight, from a respected democracy into a dictatorship. No better than a banana republic.

This country has an enviable reputation as a fair and democratic state across the globe, and wields immense 'soft power' because of that fairness and tolerance. This is something that has been built up over many, many years and would be wiped out in an instant if anything threatened the result.

For any party to even attempt a change would spell certain political suicide.

Rest easy chaps. it ain't gonna happen.