Brexit - Merged Threads

mick miller

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's absolutely no way on earth the result will be overturned.

The implications worldwide would be enormous. We would turn, overnight, from a respected democracy into a dictatorship. No better than a banana republic.

This country has an enviable reputation as a fair and democratic state across the globe, and wields immense 'soft power' because of that fairness and tolerance. This is something that has been built up over many, many years and would be wiped out in an instant if anything threatened the result.

For any party to even attempt a change would spell certain political suicide.

Rest easy chaps. it ain't gonna happen.

Great post and every word of it fact, we are out and thats all there is too it.

Guest stevo

well if it was overturned i for one would NEVER vote again , yes i know it would do nothing more than cutting my nose off to spite my face but I wouldn't /couldn't see the point anymore .

for the want of a better phrase ..........it would be the end of me and British politics'

Edited by stevo

75000 votes now discarded as fraudulent i heard on radio today.

I didnt see that coming, am getting edgey about them not taking us out and wouldnt be suprised if the EU came back to us with a better deal (or fudge) than dave got now they know it wasnt a bluff.

Boris or next incumbent will have to take us out, and set off the potential to break up the uk as well as europe. Its a big risk and no one has a plan in place.

I love it when it gets messy, UK -leading the way.

Any party which did not honour the Referendum would rapidly become unelectable. I find it truly pathetic that the vote cannot be accepted. A day does not go by without some idiot crying foul.

The Labour MP - Lammy - is as stupid a politician as I have ever seen.

I don't hear the clamour for the football Premiership to be re-run - no-one expected Leicester to win.

There's absolutely no way on earth the result will be overturned.

The implications worldwide would be enormous. We would turn, overnight, from a respected democracy into a dictatorship. No better than a banana republic.

This country has an enviable reputation as a fair and democratic state across the globe, and wields immense 'soft power' because of that fairness and tolerance. This is something that has been built up over many, many years and would be wiped out in an instant if anything threatened the result.

For any party to even attempt a change would spell certain political suicide.

Rest easy chaps. it ain't gonna happen.

The Liberal Democrats are campaigning that if elected in the next Election they will repeal/not enact article 50.

Obviously hoping that an early election is called.

They'd have to change their name to the not so liberal dictators though the sneaky greasy rats!!

A question for the older PW members i am just a little too young to remember the full details.

But when we had the referendum in January 1972 i remember there was a lot of fuss and bluster leading up to it, But i can not remember after we voted to go in to the EEC if the feeling from the remain indipendent voters was as sour as the loosers on this referendum on leaving.

Heath wanted us in THE EEC from what i can remember, so the government got its own way, but was there all this childish winging from the loosers then? or were we still upright British people at this time and did we take it on the chin .

God. This could be the longest divorce in history. Its only day three and I'm getting bored already. Is there any other club we could leave to spice things up at bit. Our could we start a new one with Donald T and the gun slingers?

Edited by Dr D

Of course brexit will still go ahead. Whatever you may feel about the spineless jellyfish supposedly running this country, we don't live in Nigeria or North Korea. Democracy is still respected.

Democracy respected? The sneering classes (many politicians and journalists among them) are clearly horrified at the notion of accepting a majority verdict from the lower orders of society.

Perhaps it was ever thus. Tennyson had a line about the relationship between 19th century political masters and the ordinary working folk:

"Plowmen, shepherds.....Truthful, trustful, looking upward to the practised hustings-liar."

I have a nasty feeling that some of you are right. There is a delay; WHY? I have a nasty feeling it is planned to allow the naysayers to build a revolt and get it overturned. That creep Heseltine has raised his ugly head for a start. Cameron should have invoked Article 50 immediately as heSAID he would at the start; are we surprised? If Parliament does not invoke Article 50 straight away and ignores the will of the people then the next general election should be called without delay and there will be absolute chaos.

I read where voters who voted out wished they hadn't but what I am hearing on the streets from some who voted remain they wish they had voted out but didn't because they were scared and one old 90yr old lady said she trusted Cameron but not the EU. What the remainers need to appreciate a rerun may come back to bite them even harder.

I'd imagine even more leavers would feel justifiably incensed that due process has not been adhered to - and campaign all the harder if it were to be run again.

IMO, EU had the chance to wind its neck in and stop overruling our courts in cases like the repeated attempts to deport Hook Hamza and his ilk for example. That is just one case that I feel was high profile enough for most people to have observed the debacle and humiliation thrown upon a sovereign nation. However many younger people I have spoken to in my cab over the last two days do not recall the fight we had. Most younger people have not heard of TTIP either.

My point that younger people have not seen the slippery slopes that older people have seen and have busier lives on social media and gaming than news was conceded by all I spoke to. Further, I pick up a lot of students who grudgingly agreed they had listened to lecturers endorsing the EU while benefiting from EU grants - paid for by us.

75000 votes now discarded as fraudulent i heard on radio today.

I didnt see that coming, am getting edgey about them not taking us out and wouldnt be suprised if the EU came back to us with a better deal (or fudge) than dave got now they know it wasnt a bluff.

Boris or next incumbent will have to take us out, and set off the potential to break up the uk as well as europe. Its a big risk and no one has a plan in place.

I love it when it gets messy, UK -leading the way.

I think you have heard about the 77000 and rising, fraudulent votes on the anti referendum petition.

Not the actual referendum vote.

To ignore the result,or to in any way dampen it down or re negociate with the EU is a step towards dictatorship.

Sorry, but I don't think its all done and dusted at all. BoJo is already back tracking faster than an Italian tank, Gove is hiding in the wardrobe and they've sent Farage to Coventry. Cameron realised they hadn't planned for winning and has basically said "there you go boys, deal with it". If they do run an election (and it would need all 320 opposition MPs plus 114 Tory ones to trigger it), then I would expect all 3 parties to run on the stay in ticket.

My view for what is worth is that when the dust does settle there will be some hybrid solution.

The UK will stay as part of the Free market, but will accept the EU levels of migration BUT will be de-coupled from the bureaucracy of Brussels. Further I think this will become the new face of the EU - there are a number of other EU countries that feel the same way. Yes we know Germany wants a full EU state, but even they have to bow down to economic factors (selling BMWs is more real than ruling Europe). Maybe this is similar to when the USSR started breaking up.

Edited by MrM

I've not read all the replies so I may repeating what's being said already but this is how I see it. The Remainers believe in Democracy when it goes their way. So far, all I have seen from those that voted remain is a tirade of vitriol against those who voted Leave. I have stood by and allowed them to have their rant but it's starting to wear thin. They want another bite of the cherry because they firmly believe that we who voted Leave did so purely based on the issue of immigration, because we are al racists and bigots.

I voted leave purely and simple because I saw no argument from remain that convinced me we had a future in the EU. All I asked was for 3 solid reasons that we should remain and they were unable to do this. Couple that with the fact that the EU has a stagnated economy, is run by unelected bureaucrats who cannot be held accountable, has never had their accounts signed off and has the highest percentage of unemployment compared to those non-EU countries that have a growing economy and GDP, it was a bit of a foregone conclusion. Oh, and there was also the small issue of uncontrolled immigration.

Immigration is an excellent thing if it is managed properly. To have unrestricted movement is absolute madness. It has nothing to do with the colour of a persons skin or which God they worship but it has everything to do with being able to manage your Country's infrastructure where health, housing and education are concerned.

Sorry, but I don't think its all done and dusted at all. BoJo is already back tracking faster than an Italian tank, Gove is hiding in the wardrobe and they've sent Farage to Coventry. Cameron realised they hadn't planned for winning and has basically said "there you go boys, deal with it". If they do run an election (and it would need all 320 opposition MPs plus 114 Tory ones to trigger it), then I would expect all 3 parties to run on the stay in ticket.

My view for what is worth is that when the dust does settle there will be some hybrid solution.

The UK will stay as part of the Free market, but will accept the EU levels of migration BUT will be de-coupled from the bureaucracy of Brussels. Further I think this will become the new face of the EU - there are a number of other EU countries that feel the same way. Yes we know Germany wants a full EU state, but even they have to bow down to economic factors (selling BMWs is more real than ruling Europe). Maybe this is similar to when the USSR started breaking up.

Ill answer this point by point.

Bojo is not back tracking,he said certain things 'could ' be done ,not 'will' be done,he was and is ,not in a position to say what will be done..yet.

Same applies to Gove,and what is he hiding from ?

Farage maybe has been sidelined ,he is after all leader of a rival party,his future position will take its course.

Cameron has indeed passed the buck,but he needs to either step aside now,and let someone else trigger article 50,or trigger it himself like he said he would do,either way he needs to DO HIS JOB ,or lose all credibility.

If all 3 parties run an election manifesto on staying in the EU ,then good luck to them on that one.

There is still a party called UKIP ,4 million votes last year and 17+ million votes that supported their cause this year,try reversing the peoples decision with that elephant in the room.

There will not be a hybrid decision,because the EU boss men have said there wont be...emphatically!

Lets give this a little time to percolate shall we , 2 working days since the result.

Rome wasnt built,or destroyed in a day.

I predict that over the next few days the venom that had been directed at the UK will subside. Most of this vitriol has come from within the EU hierarchy as they are desperate to avoid any blame for the Brexit and to try and stop other countries from also asking for a referendum. However, inside the governments of member countries they will also be aware that they will come under pressure if trade with the UK is not maintained. There are elections in France & Germany next year and both those countries export massive amounts to the UK. Their industries will be feeling vulnerable and will pressurise their governments to preserve the UK trade. As a result I predict that there will be a shift towards governments blaming the EU policies for the Brexit, and the French, German and Italian governments will become more supportive to the UK.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't increased pressure for the EU to curb its intrusive social policies.

I predict that over the next few days the venom that had been directed at the UK will subside. Most of this vitriol has come from within the EU hierarchy as they are desperate to avoid any blame for the Brexit and to try and stop other countries from also asking for a referendum. However, inside the governments of member countries they will also be aware that they will come under pressure if trade with the UK is not maintained. There are elections in France & Germany next year and both those countries export massive amounts to the UK. Their industries will be feeling vulnerable and will pressurise their governments to preserve the UK trade. As a result I predict that there will be a shift towards governments blaming the EU policies for the Brexit, and the French, German and Italian governments will become more supportive to the UK.

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't increased pressure for the EU to curb its intrusive social policies.

I think you've probably got your finger on the pulse with this

I've not read all the replies so I may repeating what's being said already but this is how I see it. The Remainers believe in Democracy when it goes their way. So far, all I have seen from those that voted remain is a tirade of vitriol against those who voted Leave. I have stood by and allowed them to have their rant but it's starting to wear thin. They want another bite of the cherry because they firmly believe that we who voted Leave did so purely based on the issue of immigration, because we are al racists and bigots.

I voted leave purely and simple because I saw no argument from remain that convinced me we had a future in the EU. All I asked was for 3 solid reasons that we should remain and they were unable to do this. Couple that with the fact that the EU has a stagnated economy, is run by unelected bureaucrats who cannot be held accountable, has never had their accounts signed off and has the highest percentage of unemployment compared to those non-EU countries that have a growing economy and GDP, it was a bit of a foregone conclusion. Oh, and there was also the small issue of uncontrolled immigration.

Immigration is an excellent thing if it is managed properly. To have unrestricted movement is absolute madness. It has nothing to do with the colour of a persons skin or which God they worship but it has everything to do with being able to manage your Country's infrastructure where health, housing and education are concerned.

Just too sensible.

I think personally that the old establishment has allowed things to go quiet because they are all scheming to keep us in somehow/anyhow?

They are doing this, because the have forgotten over their bloated years of rule what democracy really is?

They have just been forced to re-discover it and don't like it one bit, as democracy is accountability?

It will be good for democracy as a whole if the EU implodes?