Cartridge velocity testing - advice wanted

I've just bought a Hushpower detachable 9" moderator for my bolt action W/S 410. The difference in noise level, even using 'normal' non-subsonic cartridges (Eley fourlong 2.5"), is frankly amazing. It's only a 2.5" chamber, so won't be able to use any dedicated subsonic cartridges.

However, I'd really like to find out the actual before/after velocities, to see what (if any) difference there is.

So, does anyone relatively local to me do this, or has done this ? What chrono to use, and how to set it all up ?

Do some searching on here,

I've just bought a Hushpower detachable 9" moderator for my bolt action W/S 410. The difference in noise level, even using 'normal' non-subsonic cartridges (Eley fourlong 2.5"), is frankly amazing. It's only a 2.5" chamber, so won't be able to use any dedicated subsonic cartridges.

However, I'd really like to find out the actual before/after velocities, to see what (if any) difference there is.

So, does anyone relatively local to me do this, or has done this ? What chrono to use, and how to set it all up ?

Do some searching on here i think it was Rimfireboy, he tested some .410 speeds, and i think the eley fourlongs were very slow and probably why they work so well with mods re noise.

Its not long ago couple of months.

Yes, I've seen his thread. That did seem very slow for the Fourlongs, but would tie in with the quietness.

I was just wanting to do some testing myself, confirm if those readings are the same and see if the moderator made any difference.

Eley lists fourlongs at 325m/s which is just subsonic.

Yes, but the tests done by Rimfireboy showed a massive variety of velocities for all Eley cartridges

His thread on it here : http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/333886-fourten-speed-test/

His results for Eleys :

2" 'fourten' : 961 fps

2.5" 'fourlong' : 746 fps

3" 'extralong' : 1210 fps

3" subsonic : 983 fps

I'm wanting to test to get confirmation for the 2.5" cartridge speed, and then to see what (if any) difference in velocity there is for the moderator. Will also pattern them (with and without moderator), and do a short video to show the quietness of them with the moderator on and off.

• 2 weeks later...