Sign in to follow this  
Stimo22

Digging pigeons

Hi All -- I have a real problem with pigeon digging in my front garden borders, they are making a terrible mess with earth everywhere. Today had one with a muddy patch up its front which I have never seen before. The border contains a mix of marigolds and petunias and is about 15 inch wide so I can not work out what they are digging for

Can anyone offer advice, can not shoot then as to open

what about a crossbow.....just shoot the one and empty its crop and see what they are feasting on...then get rid of the food souce...

what about a crossbow.....just shoot the one and empty its crop and see what they are feasting on...then get rid of the food souce...

That would be illegal Ditchy

As said I have never known a pigeon to dig for anything.

yep you cant shoot any thing alive with a cross bow,

I thought you could kill pigeons by any humane method? I dont have a crossbow :)

I thought you could kill pigeons by any humane method? I dont have a crossbow :)

Err no , bow hunting is illegal here.

Agreed it is unlikely to be woodies unless you mean common ones. I get almost everything in the garden at some point including the odd duck that thinks the standing water is a pond, twice had magpies kill slow worms, twice had hawks kill and eat doves, rats which I kill but don't eat but never seen digging by pigeon. Crows paid the price last year and squirrels scrape the drive border on the front but despite neighbours goading me into shooting those I still haven't.

I'd say early morning squirrels although I have seen black birds move loads of chippings off boarders onto the grass.

I can assure everyone that these are woodpigeon and they are digging holes a couple of inches deep. I have seen them doing it and yesterday evening I saw one with a big brown muddy patch on its front. They are throwing soil all over the path and I am having to sweep up twice a day. I would not have believed it unless I had seen it myself

I can assure everyone that these are woodpigeon and they are digging holes a couple of inches deep. I have seen them doing it and yesterday evening I saw one with a big brown muddy patch on its front. They are throwing soil all over the path and I am having to sweep up twice a day. I would not have believed it unless I had seen it myself

Any pics :lol:

this is a bloody wind up................ :good::good::good::good:

not as good as HARNSERS WW2 BUNKER tho'

ZZZAAAAPPPPPP....ANOTHER ONE FOR THE PLAYPEN...

Edited by ditchman

You may think that it is a wind up but today watched them doing it. It seems that they like something that is being washed off the marigolds as they are digging around the bases but leaving the other plants alone

I have seen wood pigeons digging holes on a field of winter rape in September, they were digging for small black slugs, some of the holes were two inches deep, we eventually setup and shot the field and a good quarter of them (50) had crops full of slugs.

Digging? Not seen that one before. We put the grass mowings on the Rose beds and the blackbirds come down on them early in the morning and make a real mess scattering the grass onto the lawns in their search for worms and insects.

Ive never known pigeons to dig any up , are you sure that they aren't planting something ? :-)