My 1st Stalk

I was invited out last Saturday on my very first stalk, got to say most of last Saturday I was just conscious and to be honest nervous of taking that first shot at a deer.

I have joined and been down the local target club for the last few months but still having not shot a deer before I really did not know what to expect, its a bit bigger than a duck...

Evening stalk was excellent got taken around a few different fields and spotted a good number of Roe Does about, spotted a nice Roe Buck against a hedge but he quickly decided it was best to move on..

We were watching a buck and doe in another field, but it was a few fields away and the evening light was fading away when we spotted a doe not to far away from us but she kept taking a look behind her, thought it may of been young ones so decided to take a walk to have a look.

Well the doe was met by a buck but they decided to go for a run across the field, thought we had missed our chance and decided to head back to see if we could get down to where the other two were in the field.

Well we just came pass the hedge line and we spotted both of them in the field, so after a bit of crawling and at that point getting soaking wet from the wet grass, I was given the sticks and riffle.

It seemed like an eternity watching the buck through the scope just standing face on until it decided to move broadside, first covered by the long grass and then finally out in the open, the shot was on.....my knees were shaking and my heart was thumping, so a couple of deep breaths to try to calm myself down and I finally took the shot, it dropped instantly and my first Roe Buck at 175 Yds.

I was then shown how to field dress the deer and when we got back carried out the final dressing of the carcass.

So in all a very enjoyable all be it nervous 1st stalk.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done mate. I'm still to go through that phase this year, but with two local stalks booked and two in the Scottish Borders I hope to join the success story. Also I'm on my way back to Orkney this year and hope that it will be as succesful as our first visit. Team of four in November, I've stayed with our lucky dates and so far only one weather disaster!!! See you at the next Commitee Meeting!!! Not sure what I've let myself in for!!