It Was Worth The Walk

bunny_blaster

I could only get out today due to other commitments so after going to a charity clay shoot this morning I went and loaded up the car and headed off in search of some birds. During the week I'd seen a good number of birds on a field of barley so headed straight there. When I arrived there was a good line to a large laid area so I made the call only to be told the shooting rights had changed hands so for now I had to leave it. I went to the clover I'd shot last week but this only had a few down so I carried on. After checking all my other farms and finding nothing I drove to a field of barley which I don't have permission on and found birds dropping in to a good sized laid patch. There was plenty of birds flighting about so after numerous phone calls to establish who owned the ground I went to the farm and managed to get the go ahead. Arriving back at the field my next problem was having to lug all my gear to the other side of the field where the birds were feeding, it was a good 450-500 yards away. I got set up by 3 and the birds started returning. At times I had 30 odd birds trying to get into the pattern which was good to see. The shooting slowed down and at 7 I stopped shooting as I had to pick up and the flight line had stopped. I had to make 4 journeys back to the car with all the birds. I finished with 166 birds on the clicker and 158 picked.

Cheers

Ben

image.jpg1_4.jpg

Well done Ben, you've put the time in and it's paying dividends. It was scorching this afternoon and you did well in the heat with your hike back to the disco. It must be your young eyes as DB and Myself could not find any on Barley and you found two farms. Again great result and I bet Jack and Jet slept well last night.

You done well on all accounts , gaining new ground to go on , shooting a fantastic bag and picking up a very high percentage of your total bag.

Barley seem to be the number one crop at the moment but round these parts there are 100s of acres of the stuff with most of it showing some form of damage and after Saturdays night violent thunderstorms there will be even more either knocked about or gone down flat , so although there are more places to get a smallish bag , getting a big bag will be a lot harder.