Return to Fishing

James1983

Now it's a been about 8 years since I fished and spent all of my school years sat on a lake/pond every weekend and every day I had off. Once I learnt to drive I was off for the weekends carping until I got to about 25ish then family and things. I took it a bit too serious back then and let it take over everything so was a good thing I stopped really or I would of ended up living on lakes!

Now I walk the dog down the river and I am getting tempted to go get the rods from my parents shed sort out some of my old gear and take a float road and chair down river and have a couple hours and take the dog along with me (he gun shy so can't take him shooting.)

Anyone made a return to fishing after a bit of sabbatical? If I am honest think I would enjoy and appreciate it even more than I did back then.

I did. Fished up until my late teens then stopped. Resumed in my mid to late twenties for a few years before stopping again. Then when I moved to Mexborough I spotted the canal from the train. Decided to give it a whirl again and I`ve been back at it for the last 4 years or so. Didn`t do much last year because shooting took over somewhat.

There aren`t that many spots you can get to on the Don near us. A lot of the banks are very steep and overgrown. The Kilnhurst stretch is much more accessable. If you`re just happy catching whatever comes along then the canal is ok. Never seen anything huge come out of it but there are some decent sized perch to be had. Some pretty big gudgeon too. Ferryboat fisheries is a nice little day ticket water with carp up to around 20lb and plenty of silvers too.

Was thinking just going down dearne one evening after work for an hour or two and just catch anything that come across.

Not after any monsters just mainly a bit of sport and some fun.

Will take a while to dust the rods off as need to get to them all at back of parents shed and also need a quick sort of my garage to make some space but when I am next there will try sort it.

I have done the opposite , gone from being fishing mad , had articles in the angling times , won some of the drennan cup awards for pike and zander , did a lot of match fishing , moved on to carp fishing for a number of years then got tired of it and packed it all in , all I do now is a bit of beach and boat fishing a handful of times a year.

Been my obsession since i was 8....now 45. Carp are my main "squeeze" but love some chub, roach and pike fishing in the winter and ther is something very special about tench fishing on a summer morning.

Still do one night a week, straight from work, then all wrapped up and back to work by 7.30 the next morning.....can't get enough of it!

Much the same for me, apart from the match angling and the salty stuff.

I have done the opposite , gone from being fishing mad , had articles in the angling times , won some of the drennan cup awards for pike and zander , did a lot of match fishing , moved on to carp fishing for a number of years then got tired of it and packed it all in , all I do now is a bit of beach and boat fishing a handful of times a year.

Edited by Penelope

I changed from coarse to flyfishing when the kids were small, as you can just go when you have a bit of spare time ,no need to buy bait , minimal gear ,small bag , landing net and a rod for short sessions .Now that they have grown up I still flyfish and it's my son that goes for long sessions after carp . Maybe I should join him !

If ever you want any tips on how to catch cod of the beach just let me know hehehe

Colin

Use to fish loads,. Them rugby and work took over... them mum died and wanted to spend time with my old man and got the bug back... moved to Norfolk and now on the rivers in my boat after Pike and bream

Don't take up match fishing though mate incase you don't win as if you do you have to pay your debts hahaha

Colin

I fished from when I was six until I was in my early thirties. Pike in the winter and trout in the summer. Stopped for a couple of years then went to Tobago. Got the warm salt water bug and have been lucky enough to fish most of the Caribbean, Mexico, Columbia and Costa Rica. If only Tarpon tasted good ! had a break of a couple of years so may try some sea fishing over here. Cold seas the colour of mud, nasty baits like lug or peeler.

been fishing since i was 8 when my dad used to take me .spent most of my childhood on the river bank fishing the river avon. then wife kids and work ect . still get out a few times year take the kids ,they are not into it as much as i was when i was there age .one thing i do find now ,is i have not got the patience i had when i was a boy. sunrise to sunset and catch a gudgen and an eel for my efforts. do more sea fishing now .