knife law

roadkill

how does the law view "a leatherman"..multi-tool...or dangerous killing machine

Officially it's the latter, a dangerous killing machine!

Interestingly Leatherman do now sell a "legal" version of one of their tools which comes without (locking) knife blades. Surprisingly it costs more than the same tool with the blades!

I watched a friend (a Vicar) get marched off by the police after a search revealed he had a leatherman in his pocket; his face went whiter than a porcelain doll. He had no idea of the law/recent changes and has always carried one. The police (in central London) confiscated it until he was leaving the building and took no further action.

He still carries it.

My humble interpretation FWIW? is that you just can not drive around or in the case of a legal carry knife go anywhere or time you wish, you must have good reason?

To take a legal carry knife to a public event such as a football match would receive the same suspicion and risk as taking your guns for a ride to town just for fun?

Whether you could be caught out in either case is up to your risk assessment?

As Harry said, " do you feel lucky punk?" :lol:

I have three assorted knives in the glove box of my truck . They are there permanently to be used as and when I am out shooting . I also have two knives in my fishing tackle box ,they live in the box . I also have a buck knife Bowie bladed knife in my decoy bag for chopping hides into hedge rows . And do you know what I have also been known to carry shotguns and rifles in the truck . What a load of old tosh some of these petty laws are .

Harnser

I'm the same, it never fails to amaze me that you can be trusted with shotguns/rifles, yet if you have a knife a faction over 3" you are a criminal... :yes: ...

Out of curiosity, did this law come from the EU.?

My humble interpretation FWIW? is that you just can not drive around or in the case of a legal carry knife go anywhere or time you wish, you must have good reason?

To take a legal carry knife to a public event such as a football match would receive the same suspicion and risk as taking your guns for a ride to town just for fun?

Whether you could be caught out in either case is up to your risk assessment?

As Harry said, " do you feel lucky punk?" :lol:

I have a penknife in my pocket all the time. Sub 3 inch non locking. When I got to work it's in my pocket and if I go to the pub it's still in my pocket. The only time I don't take it with me is if I go to a football match.

Edited by paul65

I'm the same, it never fails to amaze me that you can be trusted with shotguns/rifles, yet if you have a knife a faction over 3" you are a criminal... :yes: ...

Out of curiosity, did this law come from the EU.?

Nope. Home-grown.

Criminal Justice Act 1988, section 139.

Para 2 sets out the exemption for a folding pocket knife with a cutting edge of less than 3"

Para 4 sets out the "good reason or lawful authority" defence

Para 5 specifies the work, religious obligation and national costume defences.

The locking-blade bit comes from a couple of pieces of case law - R vs Harris and R vs Deegan.

The significant upshot of these two was to establish a locking blade as being the same as a fixed blade.

Daft, right? If you look at Hansard for the discussions on the CJA, the intention was that all folding knives under the max length would be exempted, but at the time of the two cases mentioned, judges were apparently not allowed to read up on the discussions before ruling. That has now changed, afaik, but it doesn't help here - the only way that bit of case law will be overruled is at at the next court up from the Crown Court, i.e. the Law Lords.

Of course, if you are carrying your (perfectly legal) non-locking folder in the pub and a fight kicks off, none of the above applies anyway - we go straight to Offensive Weapons, which is a entirely different kettle of weasel vomit.

It's all about the inner cities though; almost every day in the London Evening Standard there is a piece about one young black kid stabbing and either wounding or killing another. And that's just the ones the police/courts get involved in. Not that the laws or amnesties stop it though.

I have three assorted knives in the glove box of my truck . They are there permanently to be used as and when I am out shooting . I also have two knives in my fishing tackle box ,they live in the box . I also have a buck knife Bowie bladed knife in my decoy bag for chopping hides into hedge rows . And do you know what I have also been known to carry shotguns and rifles in the truck . What a load of old tosh some of these petty laws are .

Harnser

I have a machete in the van that I use when cutting stuff for hides. It's in the back so not accesable unless it is open but it is there all the time. Does this mean I am breaking the law even though all my other tools r in there??

Would a normal member of the public consider your reason as a reasonable excuse? Truth is they probably wouldn't if its there all the time. If you are on your way to or from building or dissembling a hide then yes they may.

In short yes you are in breach of the law.

Boker 42 sub 3"inch non locking blade, coupled with a small pencil in your pocket (reasonable excuse to sharpen your pencil). Take it anywhere legally then. (Apart from the obvious like airports)

In germany the anti knife law was section 42. Hence Boker 42 to circumvent it.............................

Edited by BattleFieldRelics

Boker 42 sub 3"inch non locking blade, coupled with a small pencil in your pocket (reasonable excuse to sharpen your pencil). Take it anywhere legally then. (Apart from the obvious like airports)

In germany the anti knife law was section 42. Hence Boker 42 to circumvent it.............................

You don't need a reasonable excuse for a sub 3" non-locking folding knife. You are expressly permitted to carry it unless you use it as an offensive weapon. You could equally use your pencil as an offensive weapon.

Would a normal member of the public consider your reason as a reasonable excuse? Truth is they probably wouldn't if its there all the time. If you are on your way to or from building or dissembling a hide then yes they may.

In short yes you are in breach of the law.

It's out of the van !!

You don't need a reasonable excuse for a sub 3" non-locking folding knife. You are expressly permitted to carry it unless you use it as an offensive weapon. You could equally use your pencil as an offensive weapon.

Exactly you don't need good reason for under 3 inch non locking folding knife, I always have one either in my pocket or in a pouch on my belt as its very useful.

When I'm at work or travelling to and from I carry a larger locking knife as I don't wish to lose my fingers when heavy cutting if a non locker snapped shut and that is my good reason for work but all other times out of work I have my edc knives.

Edited by smokinggun

That's the one.

Phony Tony had just won a huge (200 plus) majority, so could do pretty much what he liked, especially as a lot of the newer MPs were firmly under the thumb of the Whips.

And he did!

And look where that got us?

Never mind penknives?

I have a machete in the van that I use when cutting stuff for hides. It's in the back so not accesable unless it is open but it is there all the time. Does this mean I am breaking the law even though all my other tools r in there??

Your van being classed as a public place, most likely, maybe? if up town shopping etc?