cyclists (again)

Yellow Bear

Was walking the dog, I was heading to the doctors to pick up 2 new glucometers as the ones I was using have had some sort of recall issued on them. I heard a voice saying "ring ring", behind me. I looked round and there was a teenager behind me on a push bike, now the road through the village is not heavily used, there were no cars around but this teenager expected me and my dog to walk in the road so they could cycle past.

I pointed to the road and said "Vehicles must use that, the footpath is for pedestrians only, please ride your vehicle in the road."

"My father said I had to ride on the pavement" Was the reply.

"Well you are breaking the law, I am not walking in the road so you can get past, ride in the road or get off and walk!" I said.

Out comes the mobile phone, I do not know if they were actually phoning their parents or not but they rode off in the road past me.

Carrying on I encountered them again. Heading towards me. I made the dog sit, stood in front of him with my arm outstretched in front of me, my fist clenched. "I warn you that I am protecting myself and my dog, if you insist on riding towards me I will defend myself against assault by vehicle." I said. They got off the pavement.

They then came behind me again with the ring ring, I refused to let them pass and they said they would call the police. I said "Go ahead, you are old enough to be able to operate a multi geared mountain bike, you are old enough to understand the rules of the road, there are children at the primary school who are learning to ride on the road, now are you more ignorant than an 8 year old? You are breaking the law and I welcome you calling the police as I recorded our last encounter on my phone." I pulled out my smart phone and waved it at them, they got on the road and cycled away.

The road is a 30mph limit, it is not heavily used at 5pm when the schools are shut, they had no reason to be on the pavement. Hell when I was their age my father sent me to buy a a new sheer pin for a British Silver Seagull on my bike. I had to cycle along the main A149, in national speed limit zones as well, over 8 miles and there were no footpaths along the majority of the route! Admittedly there was less traffic in those days but what I faced did not have the ABS servo assisted brakes of today's machines, I had to face drum brakes operated by cables in some cases. But I made it there and back. After the age of 10 there is no reason for normally developing children to be riding on the pavement!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe first you'd like to show me where it says I have to be on the other side of the road?

Would you agree that if you cross the white line you are on the other side of the road ?

would you agree that to overtake a car you would usually have to cross the white line ?

Would you agree that that to leave 6" between you and a cyclist when overtaking would be dangerous in the extreme ?

In the interest of my sanity and in the spirit of Pigeon Watch would you agree that somewhere in between 6" and

the other side of the road would be about right (lets call it 5ft)

Would you agree that if you cross the white line you are on the other side of the road ?

would you agree that to overtake a car you would usually have to cross the white line ?

Would you agree that that to leave 6" between you and a cyclist when overtaking would be dangerous in the extreme ?

In the interest of my sanity and in the spirit of Pigeon Watch would you agree that somewhere in between 6" and

the other side of the road would be about right (lets call it 5ft)

What I am saying is that you, as a cyclist I presume, are trying to impose your interpretation of the law on motorists. Nowhere does the law or the highway code give a specific measurement of clearance. On a road with wide carriageways there's absolutely no need to be on the other side of the road to pass either a cyclist or slow moving car, and on the other hand if I was in a truck on narrow carriageways then yes 6" could well be the clearance when overtaking a car. :good:

What we have here is another case of a cyclist stating his preference as law, and it's clearly not the case.

I had a cyclist on a towpath ride at speed at the dog, the dog ended up in the water, OK fine she's a lab and a good swimmer, but its a canal and there is nowhere to get out! Cue me having to fish the poor thing out my her scruff, the fella didn't apologies or stop to help or even to check the dog could swim, I use to enjoy cycling till my bike was stolen, but a bit of common courtesy gose a long way, even to dogs.

Was walking the dog, I was heading to the doctors to pick up 2 new glucometers as the ones I was using have had some sort of recall issued on them. I heard a voice saying "ring ring", behind me. I looked round and there was a teenager behind me on a push bike, now the road through the village is not heavily used, there were no cars around but this teenager expected me and my dog to walk in the road so they could cycle past.

I pointed to the road and said "Vehicles must use that, the footpath is for pedestrians only, please ride your vehicle in the road."

"My father said I had to ride on the pavement" Was the reply.

"Well you are breaking the law, I am not walking in the road so you can get past, ride in the road or get off and walk!" I said.

Out comes the mobile phone, I do not know if they were actually phoning their parents or not but they rode off in the road past me.

Carrying on I encountered them again. Heading towards me. I made the dog sit, stood in front of him with my arm outstretched in front of me, my fist clenched. "I warn you that I am protecting myself and my dog, if you insist on riding towards me I will defend myself against assault by vehicle." I said. They got off the pavement.

They then came behind me again with the ring ring, I refused to let them pass and they said they would call the police. I said "Go ahead, you are old enough to be able to operate a multi geared mountain bike, you are old enough to understand the rules of the road, there are children at the primary school who are learning to ride on the road, now are you more ignorant than an 8 year old? You are breaking the law and I welcome you calling the police as I recorded our last encounter on my phone." I pulled out my smart phone and waved it at them, they got on the road and cycled away.

The road is a 30mph limit, it is not heavily used at 5pm when the schools are shut, they had no reason to be on the pavement. Hell when I was their age my father sent me to buy a a new sheer pin for a British Silver Seagull on my bike. I had to cycle along the main A149, in national speed limit zones as well, over 8 miles and there were no footpaths along the majority of the route! Admittedly there was less traffic in those days but what I faced did not have the ABS servo assisted brakes of today's machines, I had to face drum brakes operated by cables in some cases. But I made it there and back. After the age of 10 there is no reason for normally developing children to be riding on the pavement!

sorry mate but I blame your dad he should have known he needed to carry more sheer pins ;)

Rule 163:

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtakemove quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut ingive motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)

And just where does it say I have to be on the other side of the road ? And where's the specific distance ? As said earlier, in a truck on a narrow road 6" clearance is what's available so does that mean 6" then?.

You're making it up as you go along :yes:

Edited by rodp

Are you saying i made up the Highway code rule 163 lol? Are you really as nasty as your responses on here make you sound ?

If its a single track road or narrow of course you cant go over the white line fully.But in this case thats what your horn is for and just pass with caution, its call common sense and courtesy.

Are you saying i made up the Highway code rule 163 lol? Are you really as nasty as your responses on here make you sound ?

If its a single track road or narrow of course you cant go over the white line fully.But in this case thats what your horn is for and just pass with caution, its call common sense and courtesy.

I'm not saying don't use common sense or be courteous, I've never said that, you just assumed. It's you who said motorists have to be on the other side of the road, when in fact they don't. Typical cyclist mentality of "We have the right of way so move over". And again proven to be wrong :yes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And just where does it say I have to be on the other side of the road ? And where's the specific distance ? As said earlier, in a truck on a narrow road 6" clearance is what's available so does that mean 6" then?.

You're making it up as you go along :yes:

If 6" is all there is the you would not overtake a cyclist.

My interpretation of rule 163 is you leave as much room as the width of a car.

Look at the photo on the highway code website and I think it makes it pretty clear.

http://www.highwaycode.info/rule/163

Read section 163 it does not say 'you have to be over the white line'& where did i say as your stating that you 'have'to be over the white line.You really are a bitter person.

Not really, just dislike cyclists who think they rule the road :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its not me again,you clearly wont accept the highway code instead you tried to say its made up by me(what planet are you on) and also you quoted that i said "You have to be over the white line"(I clearly didnt say that).So ask yourself whos making it up?

Its quite clear you have no argument other that trolling and promoting your dislike for cyclists who you wrongly assume 'all think they own the road' it like everything in life its a minority not the majority.