Tips for shooting over laid barley

henry_o

Hi folks

Does anyone have any top tips for shooting over laid barley? I'm normally too busy on the farm to get out so have my select few normally shooting, however I fancy a day tomorrow. I had 200 birds feeding on a 30 acre field today with a flight line into two corners. Any tips much appreciated in case I'm missing anything.

Thanks

Try to flag off any smaller laid patches , if you have one a magnet can work wonders in laid cereals .

Limit you shooting to birds that are right over the laid area so they can be picked much easier and without causing more damage

As above, a magnet can work very well and try to limit your shots to closer ones and over the laid patches to give the best chance of a retrieve.

If there is a decent laid patch a few decoys in there will help too.

Personally I go straight out each time I shoot a pigeon and pick it up so as not to lose too many.....impossible to find them once you've taken your eye off, unless they're close and on a laid patch.

If you don't fancy shooting where picking up is difficult try crow bangers at the feeding field and shooting the entry or exit flight-line instead. Sometimes feasible, sometimes not, but can be very effective. Also consider bangering the feeding field and shooting the day roost wood/s.

I have it on good authority that the deadliest way is to lay in a wheeling with an air rifle, put a few decoys out in the laid crop and you'll get far more pigeons than with a noisy shotgun.................

Shooting pigeons on growing crops is one of the deadliest methods of control but you haven`t a bloody clue have you?

We see pigeons going into growing crops and laying large flattened areas where they land forever and a day ( no doubt you`ll disagree). We look hard and long for these areas where the tracks from the tractor sprayers intercept the flattened crops/ feeding areas.

Simply lay some dead pigeons, on cradles, in the flattened crop/ feeding area and lay in wait( prone usually) in the tyre track with some flattened crop over your back as concealment.

I would never attempt this method with the likes of a TX springer but the likes of a HW 100 off a bipod is the absolute business, "they rock".

I jest you not fella when I say an air rifle can trump a shotgun ( dependant on circumstance) and there must be many a lad on here that would agree.

Actually nobody agreed. I wonder why?