Flattest shooting calibre?

Houseplant, can you go with some other lads who shoot the places you want to and have a go to see what you like?

Some key questions to answer might include:

What range?

What bullet availability is there locally?

Factory rounds or home-loads?

Does it make a difference to you if you have a short action or long action rifle ?

Do I really need "flat shooting" or maybe just a decent easy to use scope that will dial in longer range shots?

I'd explore from .243 and maybe up to 9.3 x 62 ...... and they will probably all shoot deer and goats successfully

Houseplant, can you go with some other lads who shoot the places you want to and have a go to see what you like?

Some key questions to answer might include:

What range?

What bullet availability is there locally?

Factory rounds or home-loads?

Does it make a difference to you if you have a short action or long action rifle ?

Do I really need "flat shooting" or maybe just a decent easy to use scope that will dial in longer range shots?

I'd explore from .243 and maybe up to 9.3 x 62 ...... and they will probably all shoot deer and goats successfully

- Range highly variable.

- Limited round availability here, so can't get anything too weird. Can get .270 with a bit of effort. 6.5x55 harder to track down. .308 a favourite here.

- Factory rounds.

- Short or long action.

- Could dial up, but point and shoot is simpler surely and will spend less on glass.

Going to open a whole new can of worms here. But if ur looking to the future and no idea how NZ will go and it may never happen (but the kiwis can be all enviromentally friendly at times, despite dropping tonnes of poison all over the place) but if a lead ban on DoC ground ever came in.

From wot i have been told 270. seems to struggle with copper bullets, atleast compared to some other calibres. But that is a whole new argument and may never happen, but if ur hunting government land u never know

But to be honest almost all common calibres will do exactly wot u want, and any calibres limitations will be the operator and not the calbre.

Just buy wotever u can pick up cheapest/easiest esp if going 2nd hand and wot ammo is readily available and cheapest and get out and practice.

If the 308 is a favourite they're will be a reason for it, some other calibres may be slightly better (arguably) but more about ur skill, a 308 will still be lethal and accurate far beyond wot most could hit the target. If they're a favourite will be cheap 2nd hand and cheap for ammo

Are mods legal over there?

Only ever shot with unmoderated rifles when i've been out there, wasn't sure if it was for wieght, ease of handling in the thick bush or law thou

Point and shot is all very well but will depend on the ranges. If ur on the open mountain sides of southland say after chamios/sheep/goats/thar u could be shooting at some quite long ranges, 300m+ would not be uncommon, wether u dail up or have mil dots but will still have wind drift to deal with, but its 1 thing less to think about so much.

But if ur in the thicker bush ur shots will be very close, many places ur lucky to see 50+m, all depends on the area and vegetation

I'd imagine ur european glass wil be dear but ur americain stuff could be a decent price, can't remember wot scope prices were like out there

Edited by scotslad

Thanks scotslad. Possibly the only way to get Kiwis marching on the streets is to mess with their hunting and fishing! There has been talk of restricting semi-autos for a while, but it is such a politically sensitive issue that nothing will come of it. I'm not too worried about future changes to the law.

The poison thing is bloody annoying. Bizarrely, it is often pushed by "conservationist" do-gooders. Things are back to front here sometimes!

Moderators are entirely legal with a basic firearms license. No additional notifications/endorsements required.

Most things are expensive here. I tend to buy Leupold scopes which aren't ridiculously over-priced.

Back to the calibre issue. Not much long distance stuff where I live because most of the hunting is in or around bush, but I do want to be setup for the future should the opportunity arise.

Cheers, there a funny bunch the kiwis :)

The posion is a queer issue and like u say its the conservationists dropping it, sort of can see there point in some places thou, just such a vast area and so inaccessable in some areas. We heli'd into Fiordland i've never ever seen such a massive area of trees (and i have worked in forestry) with no roads, no nothing just mindblowingly massive, 4 days walk to where we flew too and that was just on the edge when u looked at the map.

An intresting fact about NZ is it has alomst no nativer mamals (think a bat and mice) and everything else was brought by us, so all the game u shoot is classed as invasive non native. Sometimes i wish our goverment was more like the kiwis when it comes to looking after native species and wiping out non natives.

Thats sort of why i mentioned the lead issue its the sort of stupid thing they'd ban on DoC land while still dropping tonnes of 1080, government logic :whistling:

Couple of mates shoot with semi auto 270's down about queenstown area and also go after the Whapti with it, they've shot most of the different game found on the south isle with the 270.

Their mate who is more into pigging shoots a very short barrelled 44 martini action??( forgot the right name, :hmm: cowboy style reload by moving the trigger guard) or something massive lke that, very quick handling gun and he's generally shooting at very close ranges in thick cover and his dogs will be in about it lugging it, althou he usually 'sticks' them

If most of ur hunting is fairly thickish brush u mibee best looking at a shorter barrelled gun with no mod with quick handling and less tangles in brush and a relatively low mag setting on u scope, if u buy a varible power scope.

Then if u get a chance to go on to open country just do a but of practice at longer ranges and figure ur bullet drop and ur scope picture/ mil dots for each range and turn ur mag up.

Most calibres are capable off it just wether the shooter is and can adjust to the various bullet drops