All in all it's nice to be out (fishing)

chrisjpainter

A bad night's sleep is always eased by a bit of fishing. As I was already awake at 5:30am, I thought I'd steal a couple of hours out on the yak fishing.

post-26888-0-98565100-1468090643_thumb.jpg

The plan was non existent, so I ambled down to the river and hit the weir section of the Thames near me. It was a lovely morning despite the lack of sun. I reached the weir pools at 6am and got the lures ready, planning to target pike. I've been reaping rewards on a Hard Eel in the last few weeks, so that got the honour of the first casts. Nothing.

And nothing on the next couple of tries, including some small lures on which I've bagged a decent pike from that same pool. After half an hour of just one take (but no fish) I swapped to something more fishlike: a sinking slider that's accounted for a fair few pike. After just a few turns on the first cast, bam - this time I was in At first I assumed it was a jack pike, but somehow it felt different. As I got it to the boat, it became clear, this was no pike! A personal best chub on lures at 4lb10oz!

post-26888-0-44729300-1468090612_thumb.jpg

I was totally made up over it, and it gave me a chance of the Holy Trinity of lure fish: Pike, perch and chub, something I've never achieved in a single session.

A few more casts produced nothing, so it was back to fist choice Hard Eel, cast into the fast flow. Immediate success as a jack hit it within 5 seconds of splash down. It was no monster at 6lb, but that's two out of three. Alas, i knocked the settings on the camera, so I have no picture for that one. A change down to small grubs was in order to bag a perch, and a few casts later, I got the familiar rapid head shakes of stripey himself. Cue the fist pumps and celebrations - only to have it drop off the hook within inches of the net. Curses.

Time was pressing, so a change of destination and a bit of luck was in order. The lock was open, so I sneaked in. Once again, the first cast did the trick and a nice 1lb 8oz perch made it into the net.

post-26888-0-84106000-1468090631_thumb.jpg

Three fish in, Holy Trinity nailed and a great sight of a hobby hunting swifts to boot, so two hours very well spent.

Sometimes, sleeplessness has its upsides

Edited by chrisjpainter

Wilderness systems Tarpon 120??

You, sir, are a geek! That is some mighty fine kayak I.D.! Impressive.

It's a great boat. I'm only really just getting myself together with it. I bought it in September, but the winter was so wet and windy that it was a job to hone my skills. Then of course the river season closed. Do you kayak fish too? there must be some decent stuff down your way, especially in the sea. I've had a couple of trips in the sea but, whilst it was definitely sea, the conditions were more like a calm lake on a summer's day, despite being in Wales in November...

post-26888-0-68304000-1468341710_thumb.jpg

It's great. Like all small craft in open water, you just need to always be aware of tides & wind direction before you set off. It's great at anchor, I find it really stable.

Yes, very lucky with my location. Have lots of great sea fishing spots in a 20 minute drive from home.