Dacia Duster

Old Boggy

looking around the two shoots i pick up on rangerovers discovery 4 merccedes ml bmw x5 but no dacias but local dentist has one and swears buy it drive all round his little shoot were discos stumble in gateways

Seriously? It is better in the rough stuff than a disco? Get real.

• 3 years later...
8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Any updates?

Duster 4x4 diesel 67 reg, bought s/h in late 2018 with 16k miles (ex-rental), now 28k miles, no problems at all so far.   Actual fuel consumption during our ownership is slightly over 50mpg (computer says 53.6mpg).

All-round visibility better than many modern vehicles, but nothing like as good as Defender, Jimny, old-style Vitara, etc.   Rear window is set rather high, making it difficult to see my little trailer in the mirror.   Rear seats fold down, but not completely flat load platform.

Somebody who admires BMW would probably hate the Duster, but it suits us pretty well -- not interested in fashion, gadgets, rapid acceleration, fast cornering, etc, just wanted something cheap and practical with 4wd, good ground clearance and fat tyres to suit rough roads and tracks in hilly country.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

What engine do they use. The one I had 32 years ago had a Merc engine.

As far as I know they are all Renault engines.   When I was looking for info on the web a couple of years ago there didn't seem to be many problems with the diesel engines, but some reports of failures with the newer TCE petrol models.   The lower powered SCe petrol engines, found on the base models, were said to be bomb-proof but rather thirsty.

Edited by McSpredder

17 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

We looked at one for the OH recently. They are not at all bad, a bit basic but thats a plus IMO.

The are Renault 

Correct.

They are a basic vehicle designed to be a 4wd workhorse. Of course they are going to feel ropey at 80mph on a motorway, of course the steering and gear change does not feel like a sports car. But for what they were designed to do they work and work well.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Correct.

They are a basic vehicle designed to be a 4wd workhorse. Of course they are going to feel ropey at 80mph on a motorway, of course the steering and gear change does not feel like a sports car. But for what they were designed to do they work and work well.

We had one on loan for a couple of days and it didn't feel at all ropey, It was actually very crisp steering and gear change etc. Only things really was it was a bit plastic on the trim side and not the quietist but on a par with a berlingo for example.

The problem for my OH is that they couldn't supply an automatic which was the clincher. So she bought a secondhand Jazz instead

Oh how I miss my Fiat Panda 4x4. It'd go anywhere and if it did get stuck could be easily bumped out of the hazard. Red in colour as they were probably made from old recycled shortbread biscuit tins. Eventually it failed its MoT badly. So it stood gradually turning green around the window rubbers and eventually some local "men that like dags" knocked on my door (true) and asked how much I wanted for it. I laughed and told them they could have it for free if they signed the V5. Which they did. THis was in the days when there was no sanction imposed on the seller if the buyer gave an incorrect address..which I suspect they likely did. So the next day they came and towed it away. Less than a week later it was back on my driveway with the keys posted through the letterbox. I'm told that there was like the "new" Mini an "new" Panda some time back and, yes, in 4x4 version too.

Edited by enfieldspares