Varieties of rape

The Sniper

This may be a rural myth, but twice recently I have heard farmers telling me that there are certain varieties of rape that pigeons do not like to eat. I can't agree with them after seeing two fields that have been razed to the ground by hungry pigeons, and the farmer tells me they don't like that variety !! <_<

Anyone else heard of this myth ?

Anyone have any comments about this ?

Ah yes, I don't think they were winding me up. :D

yes it seems to be true, last week we were shooting in Rutland and the farmer there told us about certain fields with a new kind of rapeseed. On these fields he didn't have to put bangers out, and a few fields further were completely eaten.

from what he was telling us, we understand that they are doing certain tests to find out witch anti materie has an effect on the pigeons. He was very satisfied with it, and next year all his rapefields will be like that.

Rape Variety and Damage by Pigeons

I have spoken to my man; this problem is extremeley complicated, yet quite simple.

There are numerous varieties of oil seed rape, some hybrid, some double hybrid etc. They all have differing growth patterns or stages at which time changes to the plants growth development occur.

When a pigeon eats the leaf, it makes the plant have to work harder to produce more leaf and therefore reduces the eventual yield of the crop. If pigeon take out the bud of the plant it is basically ********.

The timing of the application of the nitrogen dressing is also critical, different variety, different timing.

Pigeons will obviously eat seed that has either been spilt or broad cast. Dressed seed is distasteful to most if not all birds, but that is not the purpose of the dressing.

In short; pigeons will eat ALL rape. However because at any given time there will be different varieties being grown in any one area, the plants will be at slightly differnt stages of their growth pattern, and therefore some will be more or less attractive to pigeons at that time; but the pigeons will catch up with the other varieties as they become more attractive.

Thats it chaps, I have summarised a very detailed converstion to the best of my ability, please remember that I am an engineer, not a botanist.

Regards

webber

An excellent post that webber, i think you have explained a lot to us with that.

This explains why one week the pigeons are on your fields and a couple of weeks later they don't want to know and are feeding on the farm down the road.

Certainly blows the myth that most of us had, ie that there is just winter and spring rape. :D

I shall be attending a wedding in a couple of months time; my man will also be in attendance, weve both been appointed as bouncers for the day.

I shall therfore have ample oppertunity to discuss the finer points of rape seed and try to get some specific detail. I am not however certain as to how much use it may be as farmers are not renowned for planting sticks in their fields prounouncing variety type, and I doubt that they would appreciate shooters telephoning them to enquire as to the variety of rape that they had planted, and merits or otherwise trying to decoy pigeon.

I once read in a book; that for every decent pigeon shooting trip, you will endure 10 bad ones, so far I agree!

webber

I shall be attending a wedding in a couple of months time; my man will also be in attendance, weve both been appointed as bouncers for the day.

<_< Sounds as if it could be a lively wedding, all the ones i have attended have had ushers. :angry:

Look forward to hearing what you can manage to find out about rape types.

:D

ernyha

ushers at the wedding, bouncers at the reception!

It should be liveley, the bride is from Haydock, the groom is from Earlstown, punch up vitrually guaranteed. Im from Parr so thats supposed to be hard!; at least Ill be impartial.

My man came out with so much stuff yesterday that I could have written a book.

If we get into studdying the various varieties of rape, soil types etc; pigeon shooting will become an even greater "black art" than it already is!

webber