Baikal steel proofing

spready

After abit of advice please, just got myself a cheap baikal shotgun, the latest version of the MK 27 with multi chokes. I've taken the chokes out and they are steel proofed. now I'm just wondering if the gun is safe to use steel through as i cant see a Fleur de Lys mark. only asking I've been given a load of Eley HP steel cartridges , from a friend who takes birds and rabbits off me for his hawks .

All i can see stamped on the barrel is ....

12x76 90MPa

and on the other side on both barrels , 14 with a stamp

Any information would be great thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the chokes are not "steel proofed". Steel proofing is a test.

Use the gun with steel shells up to 3". It will be fine.

The chokes are steel proofed but their is no proofing mentioned for the barrels I have the mp27 12g.

After abit of advice please, just got myself a cheap baikal shotgun, the latest version of the MK 27 with multi chokes. I've taken the chokes out and they are steel proofed. now I'm just wondering if the gun is safe to use steel through as i cant see a Fleur de Lys mark. only asking I've been given a load of Eley HP steel cartridges , from a friend who takes birds and rabbits off me for his hawks .

All i can see stamped on the barrel is ....

12x76 90MPa

and on the other side on both barrels , 14 with a stamp

Any information would be great thanks

not sure I was wondering the same as I bought one 2 years ago and couldn't find any information on the barrels so I don't use steel shot. But good news no lead shot ban am ok.

Your Baikal is safe with steel in all sizes with less than half choke.

A standard Baikal (2 3/4) is proofed to 65mpa.

Baikals are proofed 6 inches ahead of the breach face, whereas CIP/Saami is 1 inch ahead of the breach face where pressure is greater.

So your 90mpa in reality is 1370bar equivalent, with 65 being 900bar equivalent.

All Baikals even old model 54 side by sides from the 1950s are hard chrome bores safe with steel any of them, the MP27 multi chokes are safe with any of the chokes they are all marked steel, but the MP series baikal chokes are quite open bored compared to normal lead chokes Full for steel will be a tight half or there abouts of you measure them compared to the nominal bore size.

Extended tighter than full extra full steel chokes are available from Many companies Colonial arms are cheap and work great in Baikals if you decide you want a tighter choke for say pass shooting geese etc.

• 3 years later...

ive got a baikal model 27 o/u also from the late 90';s, its a great gun and serious value; especially when you can use it well and embarass the gun snobs with their £3-4000 guns!

the 12x76 refers to 12 gauge, 76mm chamber size , so you are fine to use 3 inch cartridges

on the steel and pressure / proofing ; Baikals are generally safe to use steel down to #2 shot steel , which is 3.8mm diameter. i would not use 3/4 or full choked models with #32 however. check your barrels for damage, bulging etc but i would not fear it, baikals are notorious in a good way for having very heavy , good quality steel barrels with most models having chrome lining.

is you r gun stamped with USSR or Russia Fed? that will help to put an age on it. the first 2 numbers refer to the year of manufacture