What pellet does everyone use?

Bicko92

Hi all,

I've just bought my first ever pcp air rifle. I played it safe and went for the air arms s410 in 22. After doing much research on what pellet to use with my new purchase I settled on buying a tin of AA diabolo .22 5.51. I found people were having great results in both small game hunting and plinking with these. I received them this morning and started inspecting them to find I'd say around 50% are damaged or deformed. Now at £13 a tin I'd expect just a few to be like this. The performance is great and they have a 5p grouping at 35 yards but out of 60 pellets picked only 36 of them were not damaged in some way!

Is this normal?

Can anyone suggest alternatives?

thanksin advance.

You're not the only one to have had bad tins of AA. They have really soft skirts and don't handle too much knocking about, even when brand new. there are a fair few brands out there that might be worth a try though. JSB exacts are almost identical to AA, but the skirts are a little bit more durable, so they could be worth a go. At the end of the day it's about finding an accurate pellet. It's no good if you get 500 pellets that are perfectly formed, but give you rubbish groups!

I appreciate its all about accuracy and with the AA I am getting great groups but I don't think I'm willing to pay top price for in effect 250 pellets (50% loss due to the damage on the skirts) if I'm spending around the £15 mark surely i should expect both accuracy and quality.

Has anyone used the h&n barracuda extreme? If so what do you think?

winnie&bezza is just about spot on in my humble opinion - 2.5 thousand lbs/sq" sorts out a piece metal softer than a soft thing. I would also suggest that you don't worry too much about size - the difference between ,say, a 5.5 and a 5.52 in lead is a bridge too far for manufacturers to even attempt - simply breathing on a pellet will see it expand from the smaller size to over the larger and lead pellet skirt sizes will go up and down like a whores drawers depending upon temperature. Buy a well known brand and try them - if all is well then go back to the shop and buy a whole heap more - consistency breeds confidence and confidence is the very best colour that you can wear.

Still use the damaged ones. The pressure from the air charge will make the skirt go back to shape so no problem. Up my local Airgun centre they did tests in damaged pellets and found them just as accurate.

winnie&bezza is just about spot on in my humble opinion - 2.5 thousand lbs/sq" sorts out a piece metal softer than a soft thing. I would also suggest that you don't worry too much about size - the difference between ,say, a 5.5 and a 5.52 in lead is a bridge too far for manufacturers to even attempt - simply breathing on a pellet will see it expand from the smaller size to over the larger and lead pellet skirt sizes will go up and down like a whores drawers depending upon temperature. Buy a well known brand and try them - if all is well then go back to the shop and buy a whole heap more - consistency breeds confidence and confidence is the very best colour that you can wear.

I've also tried different makes for accuracy.

Then I tried the more accurate ones for consistent velocity and found some surprising differences. I then took some of the damaged ones from the consistent velocity ones (just one make) and compared then with the undamaged ones (from the same make), group size and velocity changed little if any.

On a 5 shot group I found a velocity variation of 3 feet per second on a good pellet brand but a bad one might be 12 FPS

Edited by malkiserow

Winnie&Bezza , is spot on , the skirts are soft , and the squirt of very high pressure air, expands the skirts out to seal against the inside of the barrel,

Falcon Accuracy plus, are worse (softer and lighter) , but seal very well . And, in a Sub 12ft/lb can give over 600ft/per second, which in turn helps flatten out the trajectory

a little, whilst still having the frontal impact,of a .22. Nice pellet .

Hi,

My daystate Mk3 loves 'Webley - accupell FT' 8.64Grain IIRC. Never had a cycle problem with them.

I also use a .177 Stoeger X20 s2 (Spring Rifle). For that i like to use a lighter pellet, the H&N Field Target Trophy Green 5.56 Grain.

In my .22 Cometa Nickel (Spring Rifle) I use the Accupell FT 14.66 Grain.

Sorry for listing all that info but as a reply to your comment i have very rarely experienced any misshaped or warped pellets from these Manufacturers. (maybe the odd 1 out of 100 in .177 accupell FT)

Maybe try the Accupell F.T, they are reliable and they seriously are accu-rate IMO ;)

P.S I cant remember the price of the top of my head but they may be more expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Renewed my acquaintance with air rifles recently after 50yrs and bought a TX200 on recommendation on here. Brilliant rifle. Purchased it second hand from Solware and was sold 500 JSB Match EXACT Diablo .177 pellets to go with it. Accuracy on paper was superb and now after 40 odd maggies, a big old carrion crow, all but one body shot, I can only say they do the job expected. Made in the Czech Republic. They have much softer skirts than the pellets I used 50yrs ago but accuracy does not seem to be a problem.

• 4 weeks later...