Approaching the farmer

cushion94

Firstly when looking at the local farms how do you find out the names and addresses of who farms which land?

When you fond the farmer how would you approach them to ask for permission? I have only shot with family/friends so far but am after my own permissions to shoot but dont want to waste a chance by saying something silly and putting the farmer off.

Thanks for any replies

Michael

forget asking for permission, look around local farms and see which fields the pigeons are at, then ask the farmer for a days shooting on that field, then go forward from there to obtain more days and in the future full permission. I think this approach works much better..

Also offer to beat on any local shoots as this opens up quite a few doors to shooting especially is you give the keeper a hand where possible

Look out for nearby farm houses or buildings and tractor or harvestor movement. The workers or the owners on the next farm should be able to give you a name.

Have some cards printed with your name and contact details on them and liberally drop them in farm house letter boxes.

. Would the workers mind you walking up and talking to them when theyre on the tractors?

From my (admittedly limited) experience no they don`t. But I wouldn`t go strolling across a field to talk with them. Place yourself where you can be seen and maybe give them a wave and let them either come to you or wave you over.

Did this last year, I wasn`t given permission on that occasion but at a later date, whilst shooting a neighbouring farm I approached the same farmer after watching him and his dog rounding up sheep. On that occasion I walked over (without my gun), chatted to him for a while and expressed an interest in what he was doing and then asked again if I could shoot from his side of the wall. That time he said yes. I can`t be certain why he said yes but I like to think it was because I chatted to him and showed an interest in what he was doing rather than immediately asking for permission.

I find summer time isn't great for getting permission around here as everyone is willing to be out on a lovely summer afternoon and the farmers get feed up of people asking.

If I see pigeons on some rape in the middle or the winter when its wet and cold it seams I get more yes's, I think some of the farmers like to think its not just them out in the horrible weather :lol:

All ways be dressed clean and tidy no cammo gear and through a bucket of water at you car before turning up in their yard. let them know who you are and where from, if you shoot somewhere else drop that in as well. Say hello to the dog even if it is hanging on to your leg, if you know a good cow from a screw may be comment on the cattle (if know nothing you can soon make a **** of your self) Ask for a days shooting on the field that you have seen pigeons or rabbits etc on If they say no thank then for their time and if you feel its a big NO walk away, you can always ask again another time. If its a little no then give then a card with you number if you think it will go in their pocket on the bin.

If you get a yes give them a card so they can contact you if they need to. Only shoot what you have asked and where you have asked to shoot, If four foxes and a dozen rabbits come in to your hide and nick your packed lunch don't shoot them :) . Once your day is done go back and say thanks and let them know how you got on and what you have seen, even if it was the worst day ever and you didn't see a pigeon all day just say not much about but it was good to be out and that you spent time watching this that etc. Make sure they still have you number in case he has a problem and ask if it would be possible to have another go sometime. If you have a red letter day a nice bottle is probably not going to be turned down and whats a £15 bottle when you just had your best day ever, one farm I shoot I started with one day i shot 75 (one of my best at the time) I dropped in a bottle of scotch, 25 years later I'm still shooting there and the farmer still remembers that first day and still has a dig every now and then that its about time I got another 75 as he's finished that bottle :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Some good advice there. If you see a tractor/combine driver standing watching a mechanic try to repair it and the field is only half finished, then not a good time to go knocking on the farmers door. Yes, it is a good idea to learn the difference between a sheep and a cow and learn a little about how a farm works. A comment like, "Some nice lambs you've got there, they do look well" even if they don't will loosen the conversation. I'm not so sure about the cards, may work maybe not. Yes have some printed or print your own on your computer to give a farmer a) if he says yes, so he has a contact number/mobile b) if there is a definite NO, then pointless. Ask around and find the game keepers names etc ., and offer to beat, pick up etc., and be there when he is putting his birds in, or a tree has just dropped across his release pen. It does help if you show willing to put a bit of help/work in return for your shooting. If you have a trade, then this can also be a useful lever. Shooting for a bit of plumbing/brick work, whatever.

Knowing farmers as I do, I think cold calling is most unlikely to result in a good outcome. Your just another pain in the neck he has had to deal with that day. I think you would put in a lot of mileage to get one yes. I had one this week, just walked in the yard and asked if he could shoot his air rifle in my wood. No introduction, name or anything. He was dressed in full camo, more metal in his face than in my scrap metal pile. Didn't stand a chance.