ditchman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not quite, no. I was in colour!

Saw some stuff that would cause a few :oops: moments, for sure. Don't know how embarrassed you guys get though?

Well I don't embarrass easily but word it carefully ................ There's mods about :ninja:

:lol: :lol:

just unlocked the gates and checked the lights.....all working......just need to get the spots off and drain and clean them...i will assemble them with silicon this time........

...just incase... :lol::lol:

Why don't you just drill a 1/8" hole in the bottom, self draining then ?

True story.

Most years in St Ives, Cambs, the river floods a large area of meadows around the central bridge. This did not stop developers from building blocks of flats next to the river and causing even more resistance to the water trying to make its way under the bridge and over the flood plain. I even watched the builders unloading timbers one Easter when the footings were under water.

It's a regular thing to pop down after heavy rain to see what cars have been inundated in the Dolphin Hotel car-park, in spite of signs warning of heavy flooding.

Anyway, a few years ago, when the new residents had moved into their new flats, and the rain had been pretty persistent, I went down to view the scene. I did a bit of freelance photography at the time.

The new flats had been built high enough that the front doors were above water but, on this occasion, the water was up to the foot of their drives. There was lots of sightseers on the bridge and one resident came out of his flat and got into his 4x4 in a grand 'bit of water won't stop me' fashion.

The hushed crowd watched as he drove slowly off his drive and then.............stopped.

He realised that he couldn't see through the muddy water where the curving road went and it was soft new groundworks, if he strayed off the road he would surely get bogged down.

Slowly he reversed back onto his drive.

To a round of applause and a cheer from the crowd he stuck up a 'V' sign as he slunk back into his house to wonder how long it be before the waters would recede. :)

Why don't you just drill a 1/8" hole in the bottom, self draining then ?

cant ..........you have the outer shell...then in it you have the inner high quality finish mirror coated brass shell ..into which clips the halogen or whatever and to that is moulded a good quality glass face plate...........so the only thing i can do is seal the whole thing......but then i get a problem with condensation...and what if a bulb needs replacing

nothing for me is ever easy.... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I still want to know if Ditchie went back through the flood after he had bought his chips.........

coarse i did............everybody stood to one side and i driv thro'...there was a young professinal type guy on the other side taking pic's with his phone as i went thro'

why do people have to make such a big deal of things.............anyway upshot

1 portion of chips

2 Haddock tails..(the tails are sweeter)

1 battered pineapple

1 curry roll

white wine vinegar fresh ground black pepper and half a bottle of very cold white wine ..medium......finished up with a shop bought lemon moose....

job done.....

True story.

Most years in St Ives, Cambs, the river floods a large area of meadows around the central bridge. This did not stop developers from building blocks of flats next to the river and causing even more resistance to the water trying to make its way under the bridge and over the flood plain. I even watched the builders unloading timbers one Easter when the footings were under water.

It's a regular thing to pop down after heavy rain to see what cars have been inundated in the Dolphin Hotel car-park, in spite of signs warning of heavy flooding.

Anyway, a few years ago, when the new residents had moved into their new flats, and the rain had been pretty persistent, I went down to view the scene. I did a bit of freelance photography at the time.

The new flats had been built high enough that the front doors were above water but, on this occasion, the water was up to the foot of their drives. There was lots of sightseers on the bridge and one resident came out of his flat and got into his 4x4 in a grand 'bit of water won't stop me' fashion.

The hushed crowd watched as he drove slowly off his drive and then.............stopped.

He realised that he couldn't see through the muddy water where the curving road went and it was soft new groundworks, if he strayed off the road he would surely get bogged down.

Slowly he reversed back onto his drive.

To a round of applause and a cheer from the crowd he stuck up a 'V' sign as he slunk back into his house to wonder how long it be before the waters would recede. :)

Ah the days of a few pints in the Black Bull, a whisky in The Dolphin, then over the bridge on the way home, turn left for fries and chilli sauce!

Sigh, was in St Ives a couple of weeks ago, the Black Bull is long gone by the looks of things. One of the regulars in there worked on The Manhattan Project.

cant ..........you have the outer shell...then in it you have the inner high quality finish mirror coated brass shell ..into which clips the halogen or whatever and to that is moulded a good quality glass face plate...........so the only thing i can do is seal the whole thing......but then i get a problem with condensation...and what if a bulb needs replacing

nothing for me is ever easy.... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

So a hole in the bottom of the outer shell wouldn't let the water out?

So a hole in the bottom of the outer shell wouldn't let the water out?

it would shatter the thick mirror surface on the inside....it would spall out...................i will proberly leave it as it is....it only took 1/2 and hour to drain clean and polish and reassemble them !.........and i dont go wading that often.............

coarse i did............everybody stood to one side and i driv thro'...there was a young professinal type guy on the other side taking pic's with his phone as i went thro'

1 portion of chips

1 battered pineapple

1 curry roll

white wine vinegar fresh ground black pepper and half a bottle of very cold white wine ..medium......finished up with a shop bought lemon moose....

job done.....

Flippin eck thats a bit posh for a Tuesday, we have to make do with bread and dripping on a Tuesday :good::innocent:

Ah the days of a few pints in the Black Bull, a whisky in The Dolphin, then over the bridge on the way home, turn left for fries and chilli sauce!

Sigh, was in St Ives a couple of weeks ago, the Black Bull is long gone by the looks of things. One of the regulars in there worked on The Manhattan Project.

There you go, complete with the obligitory car stuck in the Dolphin car park.

It's the flats opposite the hotel that are built in the flood plain. Gawd knows what their home insurance premiums must be.

We used to camp at Houghton Mill just down the meadow from there and walk in for a curry and a pint. I did wonder about those houses being built on an ancient flood plain. The fields were constructed especially to take the flood water.

1 portion of chips

1 battered pineapple

1 curry roll

job done.....

Battered Pineapple - That's more gay than Alpha Mule when he ran off the hill when the rain showed up :lol: