side by side shotgun going to give it a go

Boss243

Purchased my first sbs , it's a gorosable de lux in good order,27 inch barrels choked cyl and imp cyl has 70 mm chamber and weighs a tad over 6 and 3/4 lbs . Gun will be used for all my rough/ walked up shooting woodcock,snipe,pheasant . Looking for opinions on a good soft shooting fibre cart to suit. Had being using a 32 gram 7sipe in my miroku would be a bit hard on a sbs methinks. Any suggestions appreciated thanks

I use Hull Imperial Game, 26 gramme fibre (in an AyA No 1, or an English s/s). Nice soft cartridge that does the job.

For clays, Hull Comp X 21 gramme.

I have tried most cartridges through both of my sxs and I have to agree with the above, I can't find a better cartridge than the imperial game, 26g 7 for partridge, 28g 6 for pheasant and 30g 5 for high birds all work well and are very soft on the shoulder.

Welcome to the Dark side !

I use a 20 bore SxS for all my game shooting, and occasionally for clays. Biggest cartridge I put through it is a 28g 6, which will drop anything that I'm willing to swing through on, as long as I do my bit.

It's only in recent times that people wanted to shoot 28 grm loads. A few years ago Eley grand prix 1-1/16 = 30 grm was pretty much the standard load. 32 grm = 1-1/8 oz used to be used all the time as a potent load by pigeon shooters using sbs's that wanted a bit more punch out there. use #6 or #7 shot with those chokes. I dont see any problem with taking stuff down at range with them. Find a big cardboard box and set it up at 40 paces and see what it does.

Thanks so far for all replies interesting topic for me will pattern hull cartridge first as local rfd supply's them , will also try a few rc,s because I think there a quality shell . Looking forward to it as its a nice handling gun I'll get the hull 21g for the clay ground

Thanks so far for all replies interesting topic for me will pattern hull cartridge first as local rfd supply's them , will also try a few rc,s because I think there a quality shell . Looking forward to it as its a nice handling gun I'll get the hull 21g for the clay ground

I know each barrel is different, but in view of your chokes and that they're stocked locally, try a few High Pheasant. I use both (Imperial) and the High Pheasant pattern tighter in both of my guns.