Rape harvest

Fredwalton

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very rare they will cut the rape before the winter barley is completed around here , but like Motty said it will vary from area to area and I don't expect to see any cut before the last week of July or a bit later , as a guide when I used to go to the C L A Game Fair each year we would always see some rape cut on our journey and that would be the last weekend of July .

Our Peas should come off Monday, and weather permitting they should be combining the barley sometime next week .

One of my farmer pals reckons Northumberland harvest is 3 to 4 weeks behind other southern counties.

sounds about right bud I shoot north yorks and its usually 2 or 3 weeks after farms further south of my perms,northumberland is always last depending on weather apart from Scotland but they have had more sunshine than the most up to now this year ;-)

Been cutting Barley around here for the past 5 days - and still going. Just been to the game dealer as freezers were full (220 pigeons so far).

And even better news they have hired a combine in to start on the OSR - starting TODAY :yahoo::yahoo: .

What always amazes (I know it shouldn't) me is where all the "pigeons shooters" appear from this time of year. I have been beaten to the stubble fields for the last two days. The day before that I had 2 set up at the other end of the field (they did ask first) and then 2 more arrived - but they ******** off.

Never see them when it's wet and cold :whistling: .

Right then I am off to follow the combine for a while - just in case there is a charlie or two disturbed.