Rape harvest

Fredwalton

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three rape fields I have permission to shoot were harvested Wednesday and Thursday and I shot birds at one end of a field on Thursday, while they were combining the other end.

Went to look this morning and the ploughs were on the stubble .

Be careful of waiting for the, "birds to build up".

I spoke to the Farm Manager and he said they wanted to get the winter drillings in ASAP in case we have another wet Autumn.

Only problem with letting them build is the fields get plowed in so quickly these days, don't get a chance to wait often

Couldn`t agree more.

Yesterday watched the combine finish at one end of the field only to be followed 1/2 later by the discer.

However, all is not lost, disced rape can still provide some excellent shooting.

OB

Despite all this rape and barley being harvested i see there's not too many shooting reports here on PW. Our rape will be combined end of next week and the barley the following week.

I am not too excited to be honest, pigeons here are hitting standing wheat big time and showing no interest in rape or barley now.

Despite all this rape and barley being harvested i see there's not too many shooting reports here on PW. Our rape will be combined end of next week and the barley the following week.

I am not too excited to be honest, pigeons here are hitting standing wheat big time and showing no interest in rape or barley now.

I will hopefully be shooting on rape stubble tomorrow. Should be a few about.

Managed to bag 40 pigeons on Sunday over rape stubble. This was on the last field of my permission that I looked at. In the first 4 fields you'd have thought that pigeons didn't exist. I was very relived to see pigeon traffic on this final one! Just goes to show the importance of taking time to recon before setting up.