After a new watch

bluesj

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am this moment wearing a Timex Expedition. It cost me $15 at Cabelas back in 1990. The surface is worn bare of the original black finish and I have probably put on ten new straps and a few new batteries. It goes on my wrist at 6am every day and comes off at 11pm ish every day and has done for the last 26 yrs. It never loses a second to my knowledge. It has been submerged numerous times in the river when doing refurbishment. I have another I purchased in around 2005 which rarely gets worn ..maybe a special occasion as it looks a bit newer. I had a more recent third model which I have just given to a friend who is an agricultural contractor. I am sure all three will see us both out. The last one I purchased in Houston on 'special' for $35. I have to ask, why pay more for a working watch. I also have a Bulova for best wear but to be honest it wouldn't last a day doing what I get up to.

I've just bought a Pulsar Kinetic (self charging battery) from Argos for £69.99. Bought for work, but good enough to wear anywhere.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2778103.htm

An excellent choice. Brother ( who i am not talking to ) has had one for years.

IIRC Seiko own Pulsar just as Rolex used to own Tudor ( may still do?)

I'm after a watch for work so more timex than rolex looking to spend between £100 and £200. Any body recommend a make in that price rang?

Can I ask what type of job you do that warrants spending between £100-£200 on a watch for work?

At that sort of money that would be my best watch!

I made the mistake of buying a Seiko Prospex from them, came with their guarantee, not the international Seiko one, the stop watch sweep second hand never quite stopped on zero, the strap started looking tatty within days, the rotating bezel didn't lock, but to be fair the booklet said it might not lock on some models, not really enough to send it back to Singapore, its been sent back now though, the date stopped working, not 12 months old yet, sent it back 2 weeks ago tomorrow, cost over £10 to send registered, will cost about the same to have it sent back. if I had shopped around I think I could have got close to their price in the UK I have a nasty feeling they are copies

Not happy, had Seiko's before, they are bullet proof, wearing one now from the early 70's, an auto, battered and scratched, wife bought me one for my 40th, quartz, packed up last year,27 years, wear them all the time, work and play, arc welding, roofing, get them soaked. bullet proof, retired now so this one has had it cushie

Seiko 007, dive watch, just awesome (at least I think so, since I bought mine I've not taken it off)

Absolutely. Seiko automatic divers watch is a classic piece of hansome Japanese engineering. I'm on my second as I ruined the first by not taking it off when chopping logs, using a sds hammer drill and a number of other stupid things.