After a new watch

bluesj

I am this moment wearing a Timex Expedition. It cost me $15 at Cabelas back in 1990. The surface is worn bare of the original black finish and I have probably put on ten new straps and a few new batteries. It goes on my wrist at 6am every day and comes off at 11pm ish every day and has done for the last 26 yrs. It never loses a second to my knowledge. It has been submerged numerous times in the river when doing refurbishment. I have another I purchased in around 2005 which rarely gets worn ..maybe a special occasion as it looks a bit newer. I had a more recent third model which I have just given to a friend who is an agricultural contractor. I am sure all three will see us both out. The last one I purchased in Houston on 'special' for $35. I have to ask, why pay more for a working watch. I also have a Bulova for best wear but to be honest it wouldn't last a day doing what I get up to.

+ 1 for these, I'm a builder and treat everything as builders do. Brickie by trade so the glass gets dragged over all sorts, covered in concrete,plaster, paint etc, never take it off, is totally waterproof so don't have to. I think the only time it's been off my wrist in the last 5 years is for new straps.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can I ask what type of job you do that warrants spending between £100-£200 on a watch for work?

At that sort of money that would be my best watch!

It is for me too, just fed up of watch giving up on me! the spring bars on cheaper ones all ways seem to give up them if replaced with good ones.

I had an accurist chronograph until a couple of days ago but the hour hand fell off! Don't think it was a very expensive one as was given it for changing a wheel in the p***ing rain for a woman late one night.

Theres a magazine by eaglemoss they sell most models but they did watches of the world first one was £1.99 then they jump up to a tenner a issue i got the first one watch of world war one trenches or some thing like that 2 year guarentee for £2 :good: its never missed a beat been down loads of rabbit holes , shooting etc covered in blood great advert the rest of them but what do you do with forty watches wear a new one every day for over a month ?. :lol:

Why's that mate ?

She got it for me for my birthday any ways :)

Because I used to wear a heavy stainless steel watch in bed until one night I must have been having a dream and swung my arm over and smashed the wife in the eye, she ended up with a black eye and a small cut to the side of her face, she said I did it on purpose. :innocent:

You have been warned :yes:

Absolutely. Seiko automatic divers watch is a classic piece of hansome Japanese engineering. I'm on my second as I ruined the first by not taking it off when chopping logs, using a sds hammer drill and a number of other stupid things.

I think its a bloke thing, the times I have started jobs and the wife says put some old clothes on and take your watch off, never listen and usually end up ruining clothes/shoes and my watches. :no:

I made the mistake of buying a Seiko Prospex from them, came with their guarantee, not the international Seiko one, the stop watch sweep second hand never quite stopped on zero, the strap started looking tatty within days, the rotating bezel didn't lock, but to be fair the booklet said it might not lock on some models, not really enough to send it back to Singapore, its been sent back now though, the date stopped working, not 12 months old yet, sent it back 2 weeks ago tomorrow, cost over £10 to send registered, will cost about the same to have it sent back. if I had shopped around I think I could have got close to their price in the UK I have a nasty feeling they are copies

Not happy, had Seiko's before, they are bullet proof, wearing one now from the early 70's, an auto, battered and scratched, wife bought me one for my 40th, quartz, packed up last year,27 years, wear them all the time, work and play, arc welding, roofing, get them soaked. bullet proof, retired now so this one has had it cushie

I was going to buy from them, but your experience with them has put me off. Thanks for taking the time to write it up :good:

I was going to buy from them, but your experience with them has put me off. Thanks for taking the time to write it up :good:

I had mine from Sky Watches.

A Seiko 007J, I specifically wanted the J, it's a tiny difference but I liked it lol. It's been fantastic and much cheaper than I could find in the UK, although most places in the UK didn't even have them.

Can I quickly ask where's the best place to send a Seiko automatic divers watch for refurbishment ? had one for close on thirty years (or more) but it stopped working years ago and needs tidying up as well.

Seiko UK service dept, arm and a leg but will be like a new watch when you get it back, never used it myself but friends have,

I have a Seiko Chronograph I bought off Ebay, new but missing the box, 7 years ago for just under £50. I wear it every day, I've changed the battery once, which I did myself, and I can't fault it. I'm getting a bit bored with it though so I'll be spending £60 or so on a Pulsar Chrono off Watchshop.com after payday.

I have an Omega Speedmaster that I would wear, but it's stopped and will apparently cost about £400 to get it serviced. I'm not doing expensive watches anymore.

Seiko UK service dept, arm and a leg but will be like a new watch when you get it back, never used it myself but friends have,

:good: Ta. looks like it will be £200+ but will have it done as I've had it such a long time. I'll keep it for best and pass it on when I peg it :lol: