Hushpower 20 pump

maxwell

Hi all

Is there anyone in the north east or preferably the Durham area who owns a Mossberg hushpower in 20 g, I am thinking of buying one but would like opinions first and if possible try/handle for balance etc, I have looked into alternatives such as silencerco 12 for my Benelli but at £800 it is a non starter, the gun would be for decoying pigeon mostly, thank you.

I've got the 410 version and absolutely love it.

Very tempted to get the 20g version but I already have a nice 20g O/U which then wouldn't get used much.

I haven't heard how loud the 20g is but I do know it's a fair bit longer and heavier than my 410.

One other consideration is there are only a couple of subsonic cartridges available and they are not cheap.

Without subsonics it's going to be almost as loud as a normal 20/12g.

Have you seen this review?

I went for the 410 as it's very quiet indeed with the right cartridges and they don't cost too much.

Still great for pigeon decoying at closer ranges too -

Chris.

Guest cookoff013

there are 2 types of subsonics, those with a huge gas volume inefficiently burned and those that have a small gas volume, very efficiently burned.

of the two the larger gas volume would be louder because of either a, saturation of moderator, or b, lack of equilibration between the external and internal pressures causing a "bang" subsonics can be loud too you know.

irrespective of gauge great shells are great shells.

forget the gauge differences, .410 is no more quieter than a decent 12 gauge subsonic shell. (a decent .410 shell is just that too !)

both graham and i did some development with 12 gauge loads. he did a 21g subsonic fibre, and i have not long completed a 3" 42g fibre subsonic.

i would see no reason to not purchase a 12gauge, as subs are available. making them is even cheaper still ! and in 4s.

a gentlemen on here, started to use my subsonics and has told me he has had "great success" with them

smaller bores limit the shotsize. making subsonics less effective (28-.410 bore.)

I've heard 12 gauge subsonics and they are nothing like as quiet as a 410.

I mainly use 410 Express Magnasonic 17g #5 and they are airgun quiet as are standard Eley Fourlong 12.5g.

Using a 21g 12 gauge seems pointless anyway but I know there are 24g and 28g available.

Same argument as using 32g shells in a 20 gauge, just use a 12 gauge and have the benefits.

Sure there's a pattern difference but at the close range you'd use them I don't see the difference?

As for price, they are all similar but 20 gauge seem most expensive.

It depends how quiet you want your gun I guess - I'm willing to compromise for the quietest possible.

When I don't need quiet I stick Fiocchi 19g magnums in and they really hit hard and at good distances.

Been meaning to try 20 gauge subsonic in my standard O/U and see what they are like but nobody stocks them locally.

Must put some on my next Just Cartridges order.

Guest cookoff013

I've heard 12 gauge subsonics and they are nothing like as quiet as a 410.

I mainly use 410 Express Magnasonic 17g #5 and they are airgun quiet as are standard Eley Fourlong 12.5g.

Using a 21g 12 gauge seems pointless anyway but I know there are 24g and 28g available.

Same argument as using 32g shells in a 20 gauge, just use a 12 gauge and have the benefits.

Sure there's a pattern difference but at the close range you'd use them I don't see the difference?

As for price, they are all similar but 20 gauge seem most expensive.

It depends how quiet you want your gun I guess - I'm willing to compromise for the quietest possible.

When I don't need quiet I stick Fiocchi 19g magnums in and they really hit hard and at good distances.

Been meaning to try 20 gauge subsonic in my standard O/U and see what they are like but nobody stocks them locally.

Must put some on my next Just Cartridges order.

my only critique here is that you are reliant on factory offerings. that was a point i failed to get across.

Some food for thought, thank you. I was led to believe the 20 was the best compromise for size of shell/noise/effective range, my main reason for the hushpower is most of the pigeon are resident in woods no more than 2 mile away and with a predominantly west wind noise is not my friend

my only critique here is that you are reliant on factory offerings. that was a point i failed to get across.

Yes I see what you mean.

I'm hoping to start reloading 410 and 28 gauge at some point myself, I bought a couple of books recently and am on the lookout for equipment.

It might then be worth doing things like 20 gauge subsonic myself too?

Chris.

Some food for thought, thank you. I was led to believe the 20 was the best compromise for size of shell/noise/effective range, my main reason for the hushpower is most of the pigeon are resident in woods no more than 2 mile away and with a predominantly west wind noise is not my friend

You might well be right for that use. In a hide I'd be happy with my 410 I think but if they are up in tall trees with a lot of cover I'd probably prefer a 20 too.

Depends just how quiet you want it.

As you asked originally, it's probably best to try one.

Guest cookoff013

Yes I see what you mean.

I'm hoping to start reloading 410 and 28 gauge at some point myself, I bought a couple of books recently and am on the lookout for equipment.

It might then be worth doing things like 20 gauge subsonic myself too?

Chris.

yes, subsonic shells gets the best value and is cheaper than factory offerings. that i can recomend.

I didn't think you could get the silencerco salvo 12 in the UK - has someone started importing them?

Yes you are correct Not available in the UK but Hushpower have a 10" 12g mod that can be made to fit the Benelli choke apparently @ £160 + choke, anyone know of one and if so how did it perform

I just use 18 gram eley number 6 in my mossberg 410 hushpower for crows and pidgeons on a permission near houses people say they carnt hear the shots but say my 12 gauge wakes the dead

Hi db, what sort of range are you knocking the crow and pigeon down with that load

I have the Investarm Hushpower 20ga o/u and use Gamebore Hushpower 30gm No5 fibre.

Obviously with that load and 1/2 and 3/4 chokes, it cleanly kills birds at a good range.

I was told at Saddlery and Gunrooms that the o/u version is quieter than the pump.

It is very quiet in comparison to my standard 20ga (no ear protection needed) and all of my 12ga's, I find I am using it when I don't need its "quiet" capabilities, as I shoot well with it.

Guest cookoff013

i have been hearing reports of good extreme distances with homeloads, thats why i developed so many, makes the moderated guns way more versatile.

ok, reloading sometimes is not the answer, but until you have total control of your guns diet then i`m afraid you are at the mercy of the shell manufacturers.

now, even though subs usage are on the up, there are still slim pickings.

i started testing and making all manour of subs for quiet shooting. as there is a difference between a "loud subsonic shell" and a quiet one. thats the gas volume that follows the shot.

it needs to equilabrate pressure before it gets to the muzzle.

i also did 42g loads but i honestly havent tested them yet on the moderated. someone has, and said they were good. designed for big charges of big shot. just like subs should be.

i`m lead to believe the 12gauge 1 oz loads are fantastic, the 32g loads are cheapest, and the 42g loads are great for those long range "pests"

From what I have read the investarm 20g o/u needs considering due to more natural balance and better moderation especially with factory loads

Is there anyone in the north east own one and possibly willing to meet up

Cheers Maxwell

Hi Around 25 to 30 yards I also like to use fiocci 3 inch magnum 19 gram number 6 only ever bought one box of eley subsonics I personally didn't think there was a big difference in noise so just use normal cartridges all the time in it

I love the Fiocchi's in 6 or 7.5 (Italian sizes so 5.5 or 7 ish) they really hit hard when I'm not bothered about noise.

They shoot clays really nicely when I'm using my standard barrel on the Mossberg.

Try the Express Magnasonic 3" 17g #5 they really are a lot quieter than the Eley 18g Subsonic ones.