Place board traing

dann boy

I've done nothing formal, I've got Ian Openshaw's DVD and haven't watched the full thing or followed it at all BUT, I have a pup that's a bit of a squirmer, would sit and stay but when you walked back in he would back off. Put him on a board once, he backed off it once and stayed on it the next time. They definitely have their uses but wouldn't be my weapon if of choice.

Edited by WGD

i use them and i've had good results with them sure people scoff at them and make comments like "your gonna look daft carrying that on a shoot day" but its another valuable tool for use in training your dog just like your bag of training dummies and tennis balls which im sure no one takes ona shoot day either?

• 2 weeks later...

I can see their uses for delivery etc but I've bought a few dogs that have been started on place boards and it's taken a long time to get the true 'drive' to come out of them again afterwards

If a dog is a real'un placeboards have no effect on drive whatsoever. Look at the dogs trained at Rytex, on the boards, and tell me they don't have drive. . Edited by cocker boy

I can see their uses for delivery etc but I've bought a few dogs that have been started on place boards and it's taken a long time to get the true 'drive' to come out of them again afterwards

You don't use place boards for hunting so if they hamper drive they've not been used properly