vintage fishing tackle ????????

oldypigeonpopper

i dont use them but i have a collection that i revamped several years ago....stream fly rod ..trout rod that i think belonged to prince of wales..leather bound handle silver bits on it...and 3 feathers engraved all over the brass work....2 salmon rods...for a gentleman..and a salmon rod for the lady....rods in good order all wrapped up in a drainpipe...havnt seen them for years...tried to sell them....but offered paltry ammont.........also spare tips for the salmon rods...

Maker Forrest of Kelso

Edited by ditchman

Just recently started using a Ogden Smith 7ft splitcane, lovely rod, different from using modern rods, & i'm beginning to like it a lot.

Bought a OS fly reel of the bay if plenty to make the combo, needed a bit work done to it, but I've sorted that now.

DT 4* line on with a a bit backing, ready to give it a go this week sometime.

Just recently started using a Ogden Smith 7ft splitcane, lovely rod, different from using modern rods, & i'm beginning to like it a lot.

Bought a OS fly reel of the bay if plenty to make the combo, needed a bit work done to it, but I've sorted that now.

DT 4* line on with a a bit backing, ready to give it a go this week sometime.

hello, nice cane rod those, have a few myself but do not do much river fishing, what line ? have you tried a silk one?

i dont use them but i have a collection that i revamped several years ago....stream fly rod ..trout rod that i think belonged to prince of wales..leather bound handle silver bits on it...and 3 feathers engraved all over the brass work....2 salmon rods...for a gentleman..and a salmon rod for the lady....rods in good order all wrapped up in a drainpipe...havnt seen them for years...tried to sell them....but offered paltry ammont.........also spare tips for the salmon rods...

Maker Forrest of Kelso

Interesting Ditchman about Forrest of Kelso. Once I understand they were a rival to Hardy of Alnwick over the Border in Northumberland. Somewhere I have 1920's Forrest catalouges which have a comprehensive list of not only rods and reels but all the little tiddly bits of accessories anglers love to collect.

Blackpowder

hello, nice cane rod those, have a few myself but do not do much river fishing, what line ? have you tried a silk one?

Haven't tried silk, maybe one day.

John Norris of Penrith Pro 2, bought one middle of last season for Czeching, for the price (£5.99) it holds it's own with more expensive high end lines.

My local river isn't that big, so cut in half + a length of backing gets two good lines which will last years taken care of properly.

Edited by Bazooka Joe

Interesting Ditchman about Forrest of Kelso. Once I understand they were a rival to Hardy of Alnwick over the Border in Northumberland. Somewhere I have 1920's Forrest catalouges which have a comprehensive list of not only rods and reels but all the little tiddly bits of accessories anglers love to collect.

Blackpowder

A friend who lives over here inherited one third of her late Father's fishing tackle. Amongst it were small waxed paper envelopes containing a 'cast' or fly leader as we call them nowadays. The envelopes were endorsed with the Forest of Kelso logo and a phone number of Kelso plus two digits. They also had the Prince of Wales endorsement. There were also some vintage and originsal Devon Minnows along with some more modern Hardys stuff.

Maker Forrest of Kelso

me dad had a Forrest of Kelso sea rod about 9ft long cane bottom section and a wooden tip, coupled with a centre pin reel, tbh cant remember him catching anything on our occasional visits to walton pier, but he did once have a cracking bite !

Haven't tried silk, maybe one day.

John Norris of Penrith Pro 2, bought one middle of last season for Czeching, for the price (£5.99) it holds it's own with more expensive high end lines.

My local river isn't that big, so cut in half + a length of backing gets two good lines which will last years taken care of properly.

hello, look out on ebay or fishing auctions it is quite easy to re condition one or you can buy a new one and they are well made and not expensive i use one and son to, PM if you want details, john norris lines are very good value and used a few over the years, cutting in 2 as you do is ideal, i use 1 number higher than rod takes for small rivers, have a 3 rod 7.5 ft and use a 4 line. maybe will have a go on the avon this year. cheers

I've got a B James, Richard Walker Mk 1V, 2 piece split cane carp rod in really nice condition, I understand this is the model with which RW caught " Clarissa" the then British record carp.....I've had it for about 35 years and never used it!

Also got a large original framed oil on canvas countryside/river scene by the author and broadcaster the late Bernard Venables of fishing with Mr Crabtree fame.....not tackle but a real collectors item!

Edited by panoma1

Walker made the original Mk IV's (and 1, 11 & 111's) for his friends. I believe B James bought the rights.

I've got a B James, Richard Walker Mk 1V, 2 piece split cane carp rod in really nice condition, I understand this is the model with which RW caught " Clarissa" the then British record carp.....I've had it for about 35 years and never used it!

Also got a large original framed oil on canvas countryside/river scene by the author and broadcaster the late Bernard Venables of fishing with Mr Crabtree fame.....not tackle but a real collectors item!

Blackpowder

i think i will take some pics of them before i offer them for sale...have the old starback reels as well.....the pommells on the salmon rods i think are what they call "gutapercha"...you will be able to compare them with your catalogue....

I loved the Mr Crabtree books (pure childhood nostalgia) I will be looking for some on the web thanks for the reminder, i reckon your two pieces are worth a few bob why dont you stick a suitable reel on the Mk IV and catch a carp ;)

Aye, Forrest of Kelso, 7 mile down road from me, now long gone, its now some fancy shop. I believe Trevor that ran it, is now into bric a brac and house clearances.

I bought from the shop when it was run by the last family member Drew Porteous who would be a nephew of the last Mr Forrest I think. That would be in the 1960's, in the 50's spent many an hour with my nose glued to the shop window in Kelso Square. The shop as I recall was tucked into a corner and next to Hector Innes the photographer. When I did venture through the door in those days for my few yards of nylon and half dozen flies I was treated as well as any duke or earl by Drew and his assistant Bill Anderson. A fantastic array of steel and walnut behind the counter - but then that was for the future.

Blackpowder