Leaving Shotgun in Car?

I just wanted to get your opinion on whether its wise to leave my shotgun in my car whilst im at work so I can then go straight to the range when I finish as it will save time as I wouldnt have to go home first.

The car is parked just outside and I can check on it all the time.

Are there any rules about this? The car has an alarm and will be locked with the gun out of sight under a blanket or something.

Thanks for your advice.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As DM said no real rules i'd try to take the barrels or stock in to work rather than fore end.. Or try to secure butt to car with a locking cable (or small cable throu the barrels being careful not to scratch them)

All u have to do is take rasonable precautions. It will also depend how often u intend to do it, if it was going to become quite a regular occurance then mibee fit some sort of better security system in ur motor (cabinet in boot) or better cable locking system.

Not sure if i would bother telling the bosses, as all ur really taking to work is a lump of metal or a lump of wood, carry it in a sports/gym bag so not to look to suspicious.

Would imagine most bosses would not be keen on allowing firearms in if u asked permission, but wot they don't know won't harm them

Ive already spoken to my bosses and they are alright with it. Would only be once a week for club nights.

I just wanted to see of others do something similar. Im pretty new to the sport and not fully confident id be able to put the gun back together again if I broke it down. I was going to wait a couple of months before attempting anything like that.

As DM said no real rules i'd try to take the barrels or stock in to work rather than fore end.. Or try to secure butt to car with a locking cable (or small cable throu the barrels being careful not to scratch them)

All u have to do is take rasonable precautions. It will also depend how often u intend to do it, if it was going to become quite a regular occurance then mibee fit some sort of better security system in ur motor (cabinet in boot) or better cable locking system.

Not sure if i would bother telling the bosses, as all ur really taking to work is a lump of metal or a lump of wood, carry it in a sports/gym bag so not to look to suspicious.

Would imagine most bosses would not be keen on allowing firearms in if u asked permission, but wot they don't know won't harm them

Yes that's right advise him to take a gun onto private property without having permission

Yes that's right advise him to take a gun onto private property without having permission

But surely ur only taking 2 bits of pipe welded together or a lump of wood with a bit of metal on it. I never suggested taking the gun in and never would suggest to take all 3 parts in.

Taking the butt or barrels is about as dangerous as taking a criket bat in.

Op how do u clean ur gun if u can't take it apart? Ask someone at the club to show u, really simple.

For any legal type advice i'd always suggest asking basc/your org to get the true facts and u can decide.

All the law says is that security is your responsibility and reasonable precautions must be taken to preserve their security.

If the worst happened and it was stolen, I don't see how anyone would be able to argue that reasonable precautions were taken if it was left in a car at work all day long. Taking the forend with you hardly negates the irresponsibility of leaving the gun in an unattended car all day long.

If it gets stolen expect more than a smile and a nod from your licensing manager.

Edited by CharlieT

And the problem with that is?

I used to leave the car with a gun in the boot parked in the pub car park quite regularly. We had a private clay shooting club and most went for a pint afterwards. Usually about a dozen or so shotguns locked in cars/trucks etc. No one ever specifically asked permission. There's no legal requirement to so why would you?

I used to leave the car with a gun in the boot parked in the pub car park quite regularly. We had a private clay shooting club and most went for a pint afterwards. Usually about a dozen or so shotguns locked in cars/trucks etc. No one ever specifically asked permission. There's no legal requirement to so why would you?

Can you really not see the problem of turning up for work with a gun in your possession.

A pub car park is public land not private property.

Edited by toontastic

Some gun-slips are designed for this very option....they have a cable lock built in that fits through one of the anchor points in the car boot

There are also some small gun-safes designed for vehicles, that can be installed in the boot & are as easy to get into as the common safe found in the home

All the law says is that security is your responsibility and reasonable precautions must be taken to preserve their security....

...Taking the forend with you hardly negates the irresponsibility of leaving the gun in an unattended car all day long.

Really? I'd say (& most other shooters I speak to are of the same opinion - inc.several that are current/ex-FEO's) REMOVING part of the gun is a VERY reasonable precaution & NOT an irresponsible act.

If I was to do this I would let no one know, not even my boss. I would split the gun in three, leaving one piece in the boot, one piece tucked under my seat and the third piece with me in the building. If it was to be done often a trigger lock on and I would also have a wire that I could run through the barrels secured at one end and a big padlock the other end, you could also do this through the trigger guard.

You have then shown that you have been as carefull as possible.

I should add that I take it it is a works car park no some public car park 10 minutes walk from your work.

Your choice. Personally I would consider the circumstances first and whilst I wouldn't bring a gun into work without clearing it with the boss, I would leave it in a locked car in the firm's car park - assuming the car park was a reasonably safe place to leave a car of course.

Just pop into Halfords, get a heavy duty plastic coated chain type lock. Wrap it around were the drivers seat bolts to the floor, open your. Slip enough. Slide it through the trigger guard lock it and leave it. When not in use just lock the chain and slide it under the seat. If you wish take a photo of the set up and keep it for the future, if you should have any problems ....

Some gun-slips are designed for this very option....they have a cable lock built in that fits through one of the anchor points in the car boot

There are also some small gun-safes designed for vehicles, that can be installed in the boot & are as easy to get into as the common safe found in the home

Really? I'd say (& most other shooters I speak to are of the same opinion - inc.several that are current/ex-FEO's) REMOVING part of the gun is a VERY reasonable precaution & NOT an irresponsible act.

It's one thing leaving in a car for a short while when having lunch or something and another leaving it in an unattended car all day long.

Considering that people have had their certificates revoked when shotguns have been stolen from their cars whilst having lunch, I can't see how leaving it all day in an unattended car would not lend itself to revocation.

I only know of one successful appeal against such a revocation and in that instance the gun was stolen whilst he had lunch. Imagine how many thousands the appeal cost!

You may wish to risk leaving a shotgun in a car park all day, I wouldn't nor would I advise someone to do so.

I assume he meant if you took the gun from the car into work.

It's one thing leaving in a car for a short while when having lunch or something and another leaving it in an unattended car all day long.

Considering that people have had their certificates revoked when shotguns have been stolen from their cars whilst having lunch, I can't see how leaving it all day in an unattended car would not lend itself to revocation.

I only know of one successful appeal against such a revocation and in that instance the gun was stolen whilst he had lunch. Imagine how many thousands the appeal cost!

You may wish to risk leaving a shotgun in a car park all day, I wouldn't nor would I advise someone to do so.

i was advised by my FEO, to remove part of the gun and leave the remainder in the car. This was during a weeks holiday to the lake district.

I think all the replies so far have completely neglected a rather critical point : what is the area like ?

If he's just off scroat lane in scouseville, then leaving a gun in the car during the day would be viewed as grossly irresponsible.

If, on the other hand, it's a secured car park, all in plain view, and in a low crime area, the risk is completely different.

As with taking a shot, you have to carry out a risk assessment. And only you can come up with the answer as to what, in the circumstances, are 'reasonable precautions' to ensure the security of your gun. It may be that just locking it in the boot / putting under a blanket is good enough, or it may be a securing cable, or possibly splitting the gun apart.

A different country, so maybe not relevant, but I live 30 minutes from work. My closest permissions are 30 minutes in the other direction. The law is very clear here. A firearm needs to be in the possession of the owner or in a gun safe. This means if I want to go shooting after work, I either break the law and if it gets stolen, I'm in a world of pain or I drive home and then back out again, turning a 30 minute journey in to a 1.5 hour journey. I've chosen the latter, but it's very frustrating!

i was advised by my FEO, to remove part of the gun and leave the remainder in the car. This was during a weeks holiday to the lake district.

I travel a fair bit with a shotgun during the season, staying in hotels and such where the above is the only option if the hotel doesn't have a safe.

However, to quote from the horse's mouth so to speak;

Deputy Chief Constable Andy Marsh, Acpo's lead officer on firearms licensing, said he wanted to reassure the public that the police are "extremely tough around making sure that people do make their weapons secure".

"If someone has been negligent in the security of their weapon, whether it's stolen or lost, or whether we turn up for a visit to check the security and they haven't secured it properly, then my predisposition would be to revoke it.