Leaving Shotgun in Car?

Ive already spoken to my bosses and they are alright with it. Would only be once a week for club nights.

I just wanted to see of others do something similar. Im pretty new to the sport and not fully confident id be able to put the gun back together again if I broke it down. I was going to wait a couple of months before attempting anything like that.

No offense mate and I appreciate its all new to you but I do think before u get a license to hold a gun you should be able to at least strip the gun down. Wait a couple of months???? Ure having a laugh!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense mate and I appreciate its all new to you but I do think before u get a license to hold a gun you should be able to at least strip the gun down. Wait a couple of months? ??? Ure having a laugh!

I didn't want to say anything, but it is slightly worrying!

I think whats more worrying is the inconsistent advice on something that's pretty important since if anything goes wrong then you will lose your certificate.

Additionally what originally was a post asking for advice I find myself being patronised for my lack of knowledge from certain other posters. If you have all the knowledge yourselves then why don't you get off your high horses and help newcomers to the sport instead of patronising them, its that kind of hostility that would put others off even trying to get involved in what is a great sport.

Thanks to the poster who said its easy to breakdown, I gave it a go last night and now know how to do it, they were right its easy and nothing to be afraid of trying.

I have decided not to leave my gun in my car throughout the day and instead try to leave a little early to be able to make the club times. Partly down to the inconsistent advice but more importantly the consequences if anything unfortunate does happen.

Thanks to all who gave helpful and thoughtful advice.

OK just two last bits of advice don't take offence to easy. Differant people have differant idea, and last concact your firearms officer and see what he says, OK better stick as him what he uses in his vehicle went he moves guns around , I bet he has a wired loop with a lock on it. Now go, enjoy what you have been granted, I am sure been stuck in an office all day, its something you look forward to at the end of the day just getting out there.

Op are u a member of BAsc or something similar? If not u realy should be in some org of ur choosing for insurance alone

I'd ask them there opinion rather than a feo.

No one can really advise as they don't know the exact conditions ur in, how far/long u have to travel to get ur gun, general area/crime etc.

But many many guns and rifles are stored in cars for days/weeks at a time when folk are on shooting holidays etc, u've just to use a bit of common sense.

Possibly taking the butt/stock in a small rucksack/lunch bag would not raise any suspicion at work and not provide any threat to ur collegues but also if car is stolen a set of barrels is no use to anyone either.

I'd also learn/ask how to strip ur gun down, (would of thought ur gun shop would of showed u) not sure how ur cleaning in right without stripping it down

My perspective is that it's about 10,000 times more likely that a car will be stolen than a shotgun. A crim can get good money for a stolen late model car with no risk of jail time if caught, whereas a £10K shotgun is worth about £200 on the black market and very likely a few years inside if caught.

It's a judgement call dependant on the individual situation. Many works car parks have barriers and cctv etc. so I wouldn't be concerned leaving a gun out of sight in the car in such a location, but I wouldn't leave it parked up in Bermondsey...

Edited by Westward

Surely that makes no difference. If I was to take a bus or train do I need to contact the firm first? No

If my gun was in a slip and I go into any other shop do I need permission first? No.

perhaps you could put your theory to the test and publish the results on here.i think you may be refused entry to the bus and the train,and try strolling around Tesco with your gun hanging off your shoulder,you see we live in a society that is paranoid about guns and view most who own them as terrorists.

perhaps you could put your theory to the test and publish the results on here.i think you may be refused entry to the bus and the train,and try strolling around Tesco with your gun hanging off your shoulder,you see we live in a society that is paranoid about guns and view most who own them as terrorists.

Its not unusual to see people on the train with a shotgun slip, or wandering round the market at home. This is admittedly in a town with a large and very popular gunsmith.

I wouldnt think twice about taking a slip on the train or around town if i had good reason, ie picking it up from the smiths and doing a few errands on the way back to the car. I normally leave it in the slip on the back seats however when going to the supermarket after a trip to the clays.

I have taken a couple of shotguns on the bus and never had a problem or been refused by the driver. These occasions were when I was picking up the guns from either the gun shop or gunsmith. I have also carried slabs of cartridges on the bus also. I will add that I was the driver of the bus ;)

No offense mate and I appreciate its all new to you but I do think before u get a license to hold a gun you should be able to at least strip the gun down. Wait a couple of months???? Ure having a laugh!

What a load of ****, how do you expect someone with no access to a shotgun be able to know how to strip it down before he even lays his hands on it. As for leaving it in your vehicle at work I leave a rifle or 2 in my van in the middle of nowhere for hours on end bolt out of course but that's it. If you take more than 1 Gun out at a time you have no choice in the matter.

People make their own lives difficult. Use common sense.

Take reasonable precautions. I.e. Don't leave the gun on your back seats in view.

I remove the forend and put a cable lock through the trigger in the boot. If I took the stock with me, I wouldn't bother locking up the barrels.

OP. Only you can make the decision, baced on the facts you know, about taking your gun with you to work. All I will say is, think what the worst case scenario is along with the consequences and did you take all reasonable precautions? Loosing your gun and ticket may be the least of your worries.

If you do take it with you (be it work or a shooting trip) best practice is to split it down and keep part of it on your person, also don't make it obvious that you have an unattended gun in your car. If doing it on a regular basis, add additional security measures to your vehicle.

Welcome to our sport and safe shooting :good:

All the best

SABS

I have a gun motor case attached with one of these big cable lock to the chassis in the boot. the motor case has a lock as well.

I also park /right/ in front of the entrance as I arrive first most days.

Personally I think one could get into trouble bringing even part of a gun in an office without clearing it... an getting that cleared with HR in a big company might trigger all sort of trouble as well!

Jrollsons, you don't give your loacation. I'm smack in the middle of the country and have a steel military style gun case, I believe was used whenshipping FAL rifles overseas, which can be locked and you could secure that inside your car with a security cable. It would take someone some timeto access it. If you are a reasonable distance to collect, you can have it free gratis. I'll measure it up for you tomorrow, no use if it is too long to go in the car :-)

Surely that makes no difference. If I was to take a bus or train do I need to contact the firm first? No

If my gun was in a slip and I go into any other shop do I need permission first? No.

I think that both these forms of pubic transport have specific rules and conditions linked with the purchase of a ticket which specifically states no firearms of any sort to be carried. Check for details with operators.

I don't get it, people are happy to take guns onto what is technically private property possibly against the wishes of the property owner and as long as they don't get caught they think it's fine.

Caught doing what?

HO advice as far as I know doesn't mention anything about where you can't take a firearm, only that 'reasonable' precautions are taken when you do so, even as far as advising to lock the firearm out of sight in your car boot and taking some crucial component part of it with you. What more does anyone need to do but comply with official advice?

Why oh why do firearms owners insist on making their lives as complicated as possible just because they own guns?

Edited by Scully

Some gun-slips are designed for this very option....they have a cable lock built in that fits through one of the anchor points in the car boot

There are also some small gun-safes designed for vehicles, that can be installed in the boot & are as easy to get into as the common safe found in the home

Really? I'd say (& most other shooters I speak to are of the same opinion - inc.several that are current/ex-FEO's) REMOVING part of the gun is a VERY reasonable precaution & NOT an irresponsible act.

Maybe the opinion of an FEO does not carry the same weight as The County Court?

Not in any way diminishing the standing of FEO's but they would not be sitting in judgement if things went awry?

Removing a fore end my be seen as reasonable as a one off but as a weekly routine once word got around?

As in all cases such as this the OP would have to account for his actions and hope the court agreed with him that all reasonable precautions had been taken?

That;s just how it is, personal responsibility, an individual decision based on perceived risk?

Edited by old man

Caught doing what?

HO advice as far as I know doesn't mention anything about where you can't take a firearm, only that 'reasonable' precautions are taken when you do so, even as far as advising to lock the firearm out of sight in your car boot and taking some crucial component part of it with you. What more does anyone need to do but comply with official advice?

Why oh why do firearms owners insist on making their lives as complicated as possible just because they own guns?

So what your saying is if I don't want you on my private property with a gun, you are just allowed to go ahead and do it anyway as long as I don't find out about it.