"Im mainly doin' clutch"

ditchman

Well .............."the time has come"...the walrus said...................THE CLUTCH..........i am aiming to do this the most difficult way possible......like on my own.......cause im "billy no-mates" at the moment as everybody is busy and out on the harvest or on hols in cornwall..............

first thing to do is lay all the new parts out..and make a set of "sliders" for the flywheel housing....so i can get it started into the bell housing....

i have a spare set of bellhousing studs so im canabilising them...

post-11401-0-57681000-1469185287_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-33364600-1469185301_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-46329800-1469185315_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gave the "pins" a slight taper and cut a slot in the end so i can unscrew them when it is position and ready to have the 2 studs retuned to their homes...last pic shows the position on the flywheel housing...one either side so all i have to do is to control the up and down movement....doing left and right and up and down on an engine weighing 670lbs plus is just too much for one person..........

post-11401-0-13738700-1469185697_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-62680400-1469185711_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-07984100-1469185727_thumb.jpg

this is where they will sit (left and right)....and gave the studs a good clean so they can be screwed in by hand...........

just waiting for my mate to come back home so i can get his engine lift...........then i will continue the thread............

which JDog is starting to worry it will be tooo long... :lol::lol::lol:

post-11401-0-21321500-1469186030_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-29316300-1469186043_thumb.jpg

I do the same for cylinder heads ( not as nice looking as them)

Never thought of doing it for the gearbox

when you do them for Detroit cylinder heads they are a must ...cause they dont have gaskets...."o" rings so any lateral movement whilst fitting can trap or unseat the seal...

So the head to block is face to face ?

as far as i can remember yes..........i was working on a V6 Detroit off a TM Bedford...and had to change a couple of liners as well...........all you have on the block is a recess (shallow) for the o ring around the top of each liner....and i think there are o rings for the water ways and oil ways ....long while ago (1982) !!.....and when it came to dropping the cylinder head back on....without guides/slider pins.... i realised how difficult it would be to get it EXACTLY right first time without crimping the o rings........so i made up 4 sliders.........................

Watching the tractor pulling a couple of weeks back and one with a Detroit pulled on the line :good: That V6 two stroke could only have been bettered by the V8 :yes: Beautiful sound as it went down the course :yahoo: No exhaust or silencer to speak of, just headers out the top :drool:

Wasn't it the same engine Euclid fitted to their shovels ? Been an awful long time since I drove one of those so memory has faded :hmm:

Edited by rodp

Watching the tractor pulling a couple of weeks back and one with a Detroit pulled on the line :good: That V6 two stroke could only have been bettered by the V8 :yes: Beautiful sound as it went down the course :yahoo: No exhaust or silencer to speak of, just headers out the top :drool:

Wasn't it the same engine Euclid fitted to their shovels ? Been an awful long time since I drove one of those so memory has faded :hmm:

TEREX scrapers......push me pull u's

Now your talking ditchman, Terex TS 24s motor scrapers, that takes me back, probably something to do with my deafness. :lol::lol:

Them release arms arnt like the old cast ones ditchman. Looking at your pics mate i am sure you used to work in an operating theatre.

funny you should say that...........about 30 years ago.....i thought about changing my vocation/job/life etc.....and investigated the opportunity of being a "bespoke" surgical instrument maker..........but it wasnt to be...what with paying the mortgage children and not being able to start my own workshop until i had done at least a years training......still i often make stuff (one off stuff ) for mates.............

so well spotted... :good:

it was either that or studying saxon metalworking practices.......of which i still have some theories which people havnt thought of or explored...

It would have been a Terex shovel then. Went through the lot, Terex, Michigan, Euclid, can't remember the others :lol: Had most 360's as well, but all time favourite was the RB 20H, it was fast if you gave it some.

It would have been a Terex shovel then. Went through the lot, Terex, Michigan, Euclid, can't remember the others :lol: Had most 360's as well, but all time favourite was the RB 20H, it was fast if you gave it some.

listening to the Detroits run full chat...........used to hear them screaming away.....just waiting for them to blow up !! :lol::lol: ...they never did !...them 2 strokes were easy to maintain...no injector pump....2 stroke cycle......very very high reving for a desiel...very good power to weight ration....then if i remember right...2 of us could lift a completly stripped out block of a V6 Detroit........

Edited by ditchman

listening to the Detroits run full chat...........used to hear them screaming away.....just waiting for them to blow up !! :lol::lol: ...they never did !...them 2 strokes were easy to maintain...no injector pump....2 stroke cycle......very very high reving for a desiel...very good power to weight ration....then if i remember right...2 of us could lift a completly stripped out block of a V6 Detroit........

But they were useless in a truck. Fast, no doubt about that, I had a TM unit keep on accelerating until it folded both mirrors in flat to the cab :yes: . But no torque, absolutely rubbish at pulling. You were down the box in no time and doing about 5mph up any sort of hill. The 205 and 220 Cummins just left them for dead :good:

Mind you, IH had the same problem, engine was supposed to be good in tractors etc but an absolute disaster in a truck.

Ditchman - I have been building / rebuilding car / motorbikes for many decades and have joined a few bolts / rods together. I usually stuck both in a vice - quick blob of weld - take it out and straighten.

I looked at your rod and stud clamped into angle iron and it was like a veil had been pulled aside. I can't believe I have lived so long and never used that method. It is nothing short of pathetic on my part.

They say you are never too old to learn - today I agree. :whistling::lol:

Edited by Gordon R

Ditchman - I have been building / rebuilding car / motorbikes for many decades and have joined a few bolts / rods together. I usually stuck both in a vice - quick blob of weld - take it out and straighten.

I looked at you rod and stud clamped into angle iron and it was like a veil had been pulled aside. I can't believe I have lived so long and never used that method. It is nothing short of pathetic on my part.

They say you are never too old to learn - today I agree. :whistling::lol:

good for you ..... :good::good::lol: