cost to have a car transported 140 miles

four-wheel-drive

I have seen a car that I quite like it has no MOT but looking on the gov mot history for it it seems that it failed on things like tyres and brake linings I was just wondering what it would cost to have it picked up and delivered to my house.

I probably will not risk it as it is such a long way away I did see another one a short time ago and that was only 60 miles away so would have been worth going to see but it was sold before I could get around to it does anyone now what the cost could be.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rent a trailer?

Mike.

Nice idea but as I have never towed anything bigger than a small 6x4 trailer and that was many years ago I would sooner not do it myself but if it would only cost say £1-50 a mile for say a 60 mile return trip that would not be bad at all I do not think that I would bother for much further than that thanks for the information.

£1 a mile one way, or use Shipley and take the risk of some uninsured chancer picking your vehicle up.

Personally I'd go down on The train/bus/lift and drive the thing back

Book it in for an mot at a local place and you can drive it from where you pick it up perfectly legal.

Edited by LowStandards

£1 a mile one way, or use Shipley and take the risk of some uninsured chancer picking your vehicle up.

Book it in for an mot at a local place and you can drive it from where you pick it up perfectly legal.

That's cheap, can't get anywhere near that here except for the local "underworld" that use red diesel in uninsured or taxed transporters, and I stayed well away from them. :yes: It's just cost me £60 to get a 4 post ramp collected from 25 miles away, which wasn't too bad allowing for loading time (Can't exactly drive a ramp on) :lol:

The point is I would not want to splash out extra cash getting it through an MOT before I can get it home and fully checked out I would not just put on some cheepo tyres and parts when I get a new car/truck I always put a set of good quality tyres that would be well over £400 for a start.

You misunderstood my good fellow

Book it in for an mot close to home.

Go and pick it up and as you are going for an mot you can legally drive it (insurance of course)

Take it home, ring mot place and cancel

Done...

But it failed on tyres and brake linings (first post)

It clearly drove to the mot station.

You can do as you please, but it is a perfectly legal way of getting a vehicle home

I know i'd rather pay £30 in fuel than £150 to get it moved. Clearly not as flush as some...

But if failed on tyres then if he gets stopped it's a fine and points for each one, if there's an accident and brakes have no linings then that's serious. Plus, FAC holders should be "of good repute", easy to lose it for three bald tyres.

We have no idea what it actually failed on, but i agree, you have to make sure its legal, not that you actually see any coppers driving round these days...

If its on limit for tyres i'd do it, and if it stopped when i put my foot on the brake, i'd do it...

OP, whats the failure sheet actually say?

We have no idea what it actually failed on, but i agree, you have to make sure its legal, not that you actually see any coppers driving round these days...

If its on limit for tyres i'd do it, and if it stopped when i put my foot on the brake, i'd do it...

OP, whats the failure sheet actually say?

From the op "it seems that it failed on things like tyres and brake linings" Wouldn't have thought that left much scope for driving it back legally?

Pretty vague to be honest, until we see the wording...

I mean 'brake linings low' and tyre on limit could be deemed failures, hell, brake imbalance would be a failure, but not something a copper would notice.

Like i say, unless its failed on something drastic i'd drive it.

If it clearly states pads are missing and canvas showing on tyres then yeah, by all means get it transported...

Edited by LowStandards

I may have done years ago, but to be honest the older I get the more careful I am. Thought about this many times though over the last few years, I tend to not risk anything now. Don't know whether it's a getting old thing or just having more disposable income (no mortgage etc). To me it's not worth the stress of driving it back for £150. I think a lot in their sixties possibly think the same as me, and probably for the same reasons ..... whatever they are ?

Understand what you are saying mate, but i cant see how its any more stressful than buying a car with 10 month ticket on, you'd still have to check it over...

I've used this loophole (i dont like calling it that really, because its not) loads of times, so if you know the cars good its a fine option.

I agree with rodp, as well as getting a bit more careful in advancing years, I am very aware of the technology available to the roads policing units, they can check everything before they pop on the blues, they have all the information to hand, and not just pertaining to the vehicle. The vehicle needs to insured in its own right before you may legally drive it on the 3rd party extension of your policy, not all policies have this now. It will not have tax as this is now non-transferable and lapses when sold. Anpr cameras will catch an offending vehicle...not worth it !