cost to have a car transported 140 miles

four-wheel-drive

What low standards is suggesting IS legal. But driving a vehicle known to be un roadworthy / unsafe would still get you points plus I think you would have a lot of explaining to do as to why you could not find a mot station closer than 140 miles away!

If the car is worth the extra £200 to get it picked get it if not leave it where it is

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While it may be legal it would show a complete lack of any consideration to other road users and pedestrians to drive a vehicle 140 miles that you were fully aware had faults rendering it dangerous.also the law would be quite within there rights to expect that every effort had been made to repair these faults before presenting it for another/retest.low standards is living up to his name by suggesting this as an option.and in my view if his morals are that low he should not be allowed a driving licence or a firearm of any kind.and as for the suggestion of getting someone with trade plates to transfer the car does the poster of this gem not realise trade plates only cover Road tax.

bostonmick - I have to agree.

My view is not shared by all, if any, but anyone who sets out to use a loophole to drive a car on the road is putting pedestrians and other road users at risk. If the car would pass an MOT it would normally have one. They don't appear to care about the risk to others, but point to loosely worded DVLA advice and seize on it.

I ask that those who are convinced it is totally above board - ring their insurance company and check. After all, the insurance company is bound to give their agreement. I think not. Most would not ring, because they know the answer.

As i said above you book the car in for a test at a local to you MOT station, it is logical and totaly aceptable and the responsible thing to do, its no good booking a car you just bought in for an MOT at a station 140 miles away from where you live is it, ? Any Copper will see the logic here, You are not going to drive back 140 miles to get it retested should it fail now thats putting yourself and others at even more potential risk is it not.?

The tyres are obvious ones and i personaly would want these addressed before i drove it on a public road, you could plead ignorance but thats no excuse in the eyes of the law, put or fit road leagal tyres to the car before moving it, The brakes again as i said Make sure you have none of the previous owners Failed MOT documentation on you or on the persons accompanying you on the trip bin it or leave it with the previous owner.

The brakes im 99% sure it will be visible warn pads it happens quite often and constitutes no imediate danger to you or others the brakes most probably will be at full working efficiecey just warn pads the tester wants changing before he would issue a test.

No ones at risk here it constitutes no lack of responsibility on anyones part and its legal in everyway, the Old Rule of the closest MOT centre was droped in the late 1970s.

Yes, but I have never driven it home. My wife's Suzuki recently failed an MOT - broken front springs - common problem on even a low mileage car. It was repaired before it was collected.

Your attempt to elicit an unfavourable response is predictable. I would imagine that you are poised with a stunning point to make.

The real point is that your insurance company expects you to be driving a roadworthy vehicle - it is one of their requirements. If you are buying a car, without an MOT, then embarking on a lengthy journey, you run the risk of being disowned by them in the event of a claim. Please check before making more rash statements.

Although it seems to have escaped your attention to detail - the ploy to book an MOT, with the intention of cancelling without attending - and using this laxity to travel many miles is deception. If someone wanted to press the matter, it could amount to attempting to pervert the course of justice.

bostonmick - I have to agree.

My view is not shared by all, if any, but anyone who sets out to use a loophole to drive a car on the road is putting pedestrians and other road users at risk. If the car would pass an MOT it would normally have one. They don't appear to care about the risk to others, but point to loosely worded DVLA advice and seize on it.

I ask that those who are convinced it is totally above board - ring their insurance company and check. After all, the insurance company is bound to give their agreement. I think not. Most would not ring, because they know the answer.

Its not a loophole its imposed to make moving a car around practical and as safe as it can be for normal members of the public, or those in the trade.

Its every drivers responsibility to keep a car roadworthy at all times if that car has a curent MOT or not, the MOT is no guarantee of a cars roadworthyness even 24 hours after its issue never mind 24 weeks, its up to the driver to check as far as he or she can the cars condition at all times its being used on the road.

The Tyres are an obvious easily seen problem, this needs attending to but other than that its not only legal the MOT near to the new owners location reduces the risks to the general public by reducing another 140 mile trip to retest, a bill for tyres wheels or whatever would provide clear evidence you were doing the responsible thing by checking them and seeing they were illegal.

Totaly legal moving a car like this its why the rules were imposed like this in the first place.

Yes, but I have never driven it home. My wife's Suzuki recently failed an MOT - broken front springs - common problem on even a low mileage car. It was repaired before it was collected.

Your attempt to elicit an unfavourable response is predictable. I would imagine that you are poised with a stunning point to make.

The real point is that your insurance company expects you to be driving a roadworthy vehicle - it is one of their requirements. If you are buying a car, without an MOT, then embarking on a lengthy journey, you run the risk of being disowned by them in the event of a claim. Please check before making more rash statements.

Although it seems to have escaped your attention to detail - the ploy to book an MOT, with the intention of cancelling without attending - and using this laxity to travel many miles is deception. If someone wanted to press the matter, it could amount to attempting to pervert the course of justice.

I can see by your post you have a distinct lack of knowledge on this matter and no matter how hard anyone who does know the law tries to outline it to you, you are hell bent on your own opinion being aired regardless, there is little point in continuing with this debate with you or those of your ilk, i saw you get out of shape with Low standards when he tried to do the same as my good self. And sadly the content of your posts to me now are noticably heading south rapidly.

So for the sake of harmony on the forum i will leave it here, quite why you must be so aggressive in your attitude here is beyond all reasonable understanding. So good day to you and happy motoring.

I have just checked and it would seem that you are correct ( LowStandard ) Re the distance you can take it to have the mot done so can we put an end to it please.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q360.htm

Did no one actually read this link?

"If your vehicle doesn't have an MOT you can drive it to or from a pre-arranged MOT or to or from a pre-arranged appointment to have defects remedied that were discovered on a previous MOT test.

The law makes no mention as to how far you can go but we would suggest that the distance is kept as short as possible because even though you are exempt from having a valid MOT certificate in the circumstances described above, if you are stopped by the police you could still be prosecuted for any defective parts on your vehicle e.g. exhaust, brakes and tyres etc."

I read it that no there is no maximum distance, but if you knowingly take the car on the road with any faults, you're liable. Personally I wouldn't take the risk

Edited by MrM

"If your vehicle doesn't have an MOT you can drive it to or from a pre-arranged MOT or to or from a pre-arranged appointment to have defects remedied that were discovered on a previous MOT test.

The law makes no mention as to how far you can go but we would suggest that the distance is kept as short as possible because even though you are exempt from having a valid MOT certificate in the circumstances described above, if you are stopped by the police you could still be prosecuted for any defective parts on your vehicle e.g. exhaust, brakes and tyres etc."

I read it that no there is no maximum distance, but if you knowingly take the car on the road with any faults, you're liable. Personally I wouldn't take the risk

I was assuming that the car is in reasonable condition not a total wreck tyres on the limit perhaps and brakes that work ok you may have problems if you was to get pulled over by the police but if the car looks ok and you are driving it safely why would or should you be pulled over.

And the highlighted part aplies to any car on the road if it has a valid MOT or not.

Make sure you have none of the previous owners Failed MOT documentation on you or on the persons accompanying you on the trip bin it or leave it with the previous owner.

All the vehicles mot history is available online and free for all to inspect.so pleading ignorance will not cut it.also when the police contacted the previous owner do you seriously think they would be happy to put themselves in the firing line for someone they don't know.some of you should really try living in the real world of today.and the poster who is 99% convinced that the brakes are up to standard but just low pads.this would be put down ad an advisory not a failure.if you want a little clarification on similar a fewyears back a land-rover and trailer went down an embankment because the driver fell asleep.the vehicle was totally legal and as there is no restriction on driving hours this was also deemed in the opinion of the driver to be within the law.however he spent a good few years in one of her Majesties hotels as a result.

I'm at work, doing the work thing...

Did i mention there is nothing illegal going on here?

Gordonr, so you drove and unroadworthy car to an mot station! You deserve to have your license removed and maybe some jail time...

By your logic

Edited by LowStandards

I was assuming that the car is in reasonable condition not a total wreck tyres on the limit perhaps and brakes that work ok you may have problems if you was to get pulled over by the police but if the car looks ok and you are driving it safely why would or should you be pulled over.

Here is why you may be pulled over more, the car will come up on any checks visualy or on suvailance technology as the car having no valid MOT. IF the vpolice are bored or you drawttention to yourself they could decide to pull you over and check you or the car out, If you have clear proof the car is pre booked in for an MOT and the tyres are ok lights all working no obvious problems it will be very doubtfull they will investigate further, and you will be let continue on your way.

This is why you need to addres the tyre sittuation its an obvious one, do this and i would be confident you will be fine.

Look if your at all concerned about this get some trade plates off someone or get them to move it, cars are running about all over the country everyday like this between car dealerships and not all are transported or MOTd in many cases, its a set of rules drawn up to alow practical movement of cars around, you need to be as compliant as you can be ie the tyres, Every car needs to be road legal if it has a valid MOT or not, the MOT just says the car was ok on that day at that time it says nothing for that cars roadworthyness for the next 364 days of that year. Its stil the drivers responsibility ultimatly .

Make sure you have none of the previous owners Failed MOT documentation on you or on the persons accompanying you on the trip bin it or leave it with the previous owner.

All the vehicles mot history is available online and free for all to inspect.so pleading ignorance will not cut it.also when the police contacted the previous owner do you seriously think they would be happy to put themselves in the firing line for someone they don't know.some of you should really try living in the real world of today.and the poster who is 99% convinced that the brakes are up to standard but just low pads.this would be put down ad an advisory not a failure.if you want a little clarification on similar a fewyears back a land-rover and trailer went down an embankment because the driver fell asleep.the vehicle was totally legal and as there is no restriction on driving hours this was also deemed in the opinion of the driver to be within the law.however he spent a good few years in one of her Majesties hotels as a result.

No not true its the individual tester who decides if it goes down as advice or not, the brakes can be 100% but if the pads are visibly low i may not decide to issue a test if i think the condition of the pads constitutes a potential safety issue and it could be of iminent danger to safetey.

MOTs are evidence a car is safe at a given day once a year, and even if a car is technicaly roadworthy the tester has the ultimate say on what goes through what fails and what he feels he needs to advise to cover all the bases.

Here is why you may be pulled over more, the car will come up on any checks visualy or on suvailance technology as the car having no valid MOT. IF the vpolice are bored or you drawttention to yourself they could decide to pull you over and check you or the car out, If you have clear proof the car is pre booked in for an MOT and the tyres are ok lights all working no obvious problems it will be very doubtfull they will investigate further, and you will be let continue on your way.

This is why you need to addres the tyre sittuation its an obvious one, do this and i would be confident you will be fine.

Look if your at all concerned about this get some trade plates off someone or get them to move it, cars are running about all over the country everyday like this between car dealerships and not all are transported or MOTd in many cases, its a set of rules drawn up to alow practical movement of cars around, you need to be as compliant as you can be ie the tyres, Every car needs to be road legal if it has a valid MOT or not, the MOT just says the car was ok on that day at that time it says nothing for that cars roadworthyness for the next 364 days of that year. Its stil the drivers responsibility ultimatly .

Again trade plates are for road tax and road tax only.vehicles being transfered between dealerships will be legal in every other way.if they are found to be lending out their plates to all and sundry they will lose them.

Again trade plates are for road tax and road tax only.vehicles being transfered between dealerships will be legal in every other way.if they are found to be lending out their plates to all and sundry they will lose them.

Red on white trade plates Tax yes but this shows yet further responsibility on behalf of the buyer trying to be legal in all ways possible while moving a vehichle, So its got to be a good thing.

White on red trade plates AFAIK are for moving A vehichle where a non movement order is in pl\ace or recovery work.

In police training back in the day any police officer of that time will recite this red on white stop on sight white on red go ahead. ;)

If you are moving a car for a garage ellected to do work on your car it would not put his trade plates in any jeopardy whatsoever .

Well with All the mis advice being given I would suggest the op does whatever he wants and faces the possible consequences. Trade plates are for the dealer/company to move vehicles that have no tax. Not for vehicles that have no mot.these should be trailered.

Well with All the mis advice being given I would suggest the op does whatever he wants and faces the possible consequences. Trade plates are for the dealer/company to move vehicles that have no tax. Not for vehicles that have no mot.these should be trailered.

And this car is not tested so it cant be taxed, so moving it on plates is belt and braces if the car is Booked in for an MOT and insured or the Driver at least or firm is inssured its legal to drive to the Testing station. Where is the miss info here exactly. ?

I have looked and can't see anywhere on the www.gov site where it says vehicles without a current mot are to be driven on the public highway.

WOW! you are a sore loosere arnt you. :rolleyes:

If your vehicle doesn't have an MOT you can drive it to or from a pre-arranged MOT or to or from a pre-arranged appointment to have defects remedied that were discovered on a previous test. You can drive your vehicle on a road without road tax in these circumstances.

Edited by TONY R

I have looked and can't see anywhere on the www.gov site where it says vehicles without a current mot are to be driven on the public highway.

How would you take your car to the mot station when it had lapsed? And dont give me the 'i would never let it lapse' thing as thats not what we are on about here

How would you take your car to the mot station when it had lapsed? And dont give me the 'i would never let it lapse' thing as thats not what we are on about here

If that ever was the case I would take it to the closest mot station not one some three hours drive away.and as this car has already been declared unfit for the road it should be transported not driven in this case.