out with the baikal and the pre-puffer

7daysinaweek

had a call from a farmer friday saying crows hitting some fallow land next to wheat and some letting on the wheat, on arrival walked off well over a 100 of mixed corvids from the fallow field adjacent to the wheat. as you can see in picture, field has been sprayed off and very dry and really no growth on it, on inspection i could not see what they had been feeding on. farmer reports numbers had built up over 2-3 days. dug myself in and over 2 hours had about 20 return. for 19 carts killed 12, could only pick 5 at end of day due to others in standing wheat and from size all appeared to be crows. when i walked them off thought may be possible for a good head returning but this was not the outcome. pulled a couple of the crows open but could not really see what they had been feeding on. very enjoyable few hours.

had a run out in the late evening with the pre puffer (air arms s410, 177 pre charged air rifle) went down to horse paddocks as ongoing job managing the bunters on there. last time i went two weeks ago i was confronted buy an angry individual who was said! horrified that someone would be controlling rabbits around the horses. the livery owner had already informed all that they may see me around as i have been going to this place for 3 years. any roads whilst i was being civil and explaining the economic, legal and sporting reasons for pest control to the individual a small mob of other horse owners assembled to join the debate with their pitchforks and torches which was at the start particularly one sided. after me taking 10 minutes to impart reasons and knowledge a couple agreed they could understand some aspects of the need for control, one wholeheartedly agreed and said could she watch. the first carried on her torrent of irrational tosh and basically embarrassed herself in front of the others. she made it difficult for me to get on with the job that eve as made plenty of noise round the paddocks and was generally disruptive. i went and spoke to owner and told him if he wanted the job doing he would need to make it clear that i am not to be disrupted.

any way back to friday eve, arrived to find about half dozen people about, snuck onto first paddock, over other side 5 or 6 bunters sat out, crawled under electric fence and commando crawled about 30 yards flat on belly to get within range. first one about 20 yards away. Phutt! goes the pre puffer, straight away onto another sat up, phutt, another, the others ran and one stopped about 30 yards, phutt anther down. carried on to next paddock shot another 2 relatively easy shots and plenty of fence posts to rest on. whilst crossing into another paddock shot a magpie that was sat o a fence post a good 35 yards, the s410 is so accurate and am confident with it. time was getting on to around 22.30 and light starting to draw, shot anther rabbit from a gatepost similar distance to others and decided to collect on way back as i would go and collect the other 5, on returning to collect the last rabbit i could see a horsy lady stood over my dead rabbit staring at it. i walked down and politely shouted have you got my rabbit, she shouts yes! shall i bring it over. what a nice lady after and after an agreeable chat for 20 minutes re pest control and livery talk i made my way back to the car. on driving out manage another 2 in the headlights, both a good 35 yards out and just at the limit of the scopes light abilities and was extremely happy with the result but did have a very good rest from the car window. pics are of the six healthy bunters that i shot before i got the other two. total tally for the day was 12 crows, 1 magpie, 2 woodies, eight rabbits.

atb

7diaw

post-72392-0-55714000-1469364570_thumb.jpg

post-72392-0-54092400-1469364581_thumb.jpg

had a call from a farmer friday saying crows hitting some fallow land next to wheat and some letting on the wheat, on arrival walked off well over a 100 of mixed corvids from the fallow field adjacent to the wheat. as you can see in picture, field has been sprayed off and very dry and really no growth on it, on inspection i could not see what they had been feeding on. farmer reports numbers had built up over 2-3 days. dug myself in and over 2 hours had about 20 return. for 19 carts killed 12, could only pick 5 at end of day due to others in standing wheat and from size all appeared to be crows. when i walked them off thought may be possible for a good head returning but this was not the outcome. pulled a couple of the crows open but could not really see what they had been feeding on. very enjoyable few hours.

had a run out in the late evening with the pre puffer (air arms s410, 177 pre charged air rifle) went down to horse paddocks as ongoing job managing the bunters on there. last time i went two weeks ago i was confronted buy an angry individual who was said! horrified that someone would be controlling rabbits around the horses. the livery owner had already informed all that they may see me around as i have been going to this place for 3 years. any roads whilst i was being civil and explaining the economic, legal and sporting reasons for pest control to the individual a small mob of other horse owners assembled to join the debate with their pitchforks and torches which was at the start particularly one sided. after me taking 10 minutes to impart reasons and knowledge a couple agreed they could understand some aspects of the need for control, one wholeheartedly agreed and said could she watch. the first carried on her torrent of irrational tosh and basically embarrassed herself in front of the others. she made it difficult for me to get on with the job that eve as made plenty of noise round the paddocks and was generally disruptive. i went and spoke to owner and told him if he wanted the job doing he would need to make it clear that i am not to be disrupted.

any way back to friday eve, arrived to find about half dozen people about, snuck onto first paddock, over other side 5 or 6 bunters sat out, crawled under electric fence and commando crawled about 30 yards flat on belly to get within range. first one about 20 yards away. Phutt! goes the pre puffer, straight away onto another sat up, phutt, another, the others ran and one stopped about 30 yards, phutt anther down. carried on to next paddock shot another 2 relatively easy shots and plenty of fence posts to rest on. whilst crossing into another paddock shot a magpie that was sat o a fence post a good 35 yards, the s410 is so accurate and am confident with it. time was getting on to around 22.30 and light starting to draw, shot anther rabbit from a gatepost similar distance to others and decided to collect on way back as i would go and collect the other 5, on returning to collect the last rabbit i could see a horsy lady stood over my dead rabbit staring at it. i walked down and politely shouted have you got my rabbit, she shouts yes! shall i bring it over. what a nice lady after and after an agreeable chat for 20 minutes re pest control and livery talk i made my way back to the car. on driving out manage another 2 in the headlights, both a good 35 yards out and just at the limit of the scopes light abilities and was extremely happy with the result but did have a very good rest from the car window. pics are of the six healthy bunters that i shot before i got the other two. total tally for the day was 12 crows, 1 magpie, 2 woodies, eight rabbits.

atb

7diaw

If a horse breaks a leg in a rabbit hole they would understand the need for controlling rabbits.I had to point this out once and as soon as they realised what was quite a possibility they never bothered me again

If a horse breaks a leg in a rabbit hole they would understand the need for controlling rabbits.I had to point this out once and as soon as they realised what was quite a possibility they never bothered me again

Its funny how quickly see your side of it when you have to shoot their horse because its step in a rabbit hole and broken its leg!

Well done for keeping your cool, I can appreciate horse owners getting twitchy around guns, especially given recent stories in the press but it seems you did the right thing there. I've only had one run-in with a guy in the last 10 years and quite frankly I'm surprise it doesn't happen more often - but there again does that mean the majority of folk understand us Shooters? The rabbits look to be good eaters anyway!