Shooting stick length?

Houseplant

The stand that I made has the two legs jointed into a middle link at the top that allows the height to be adjusted by moving the legs from upright to splayed out. I can stand up normally and the rifle is supported so that I can look through the scope comfortably without stretching up or stooping down. most of my ground is fairly flat so i dont have to adjust the height much. If I did have to I would use the adjustable decorators poles. The rifle sits in a sort of U chanel which is fixed to the top middle link.

I normally have mine so when the rifle is on the sticks and my eye is at the scope I can lean slightly in to the rifle without having to bend my back.

This suits me best but you might have to use a bit of trial and error to find what is most comfortable for you.

Thanks, the reason I ask is that I'm on to V3.0 now, each time the sticks get a bit longer. What feels right in the garage doesn't necessarily translate to the field, maybe that's just me though. I've found that if I have to stoop forward at all, the whole thing is much less stable.

From recollection (years ago mind!) if they are the height of your eyes from ground level this allows for the legs to splay enough to be stable (which drops the 'fork' down) so that the rifle can be brought into the aim, with you just leaning forward.

If they are much higher then you have to splay the legs wider, or for closer shots.

My bamboo poles are about 50mm longer, with the fork 100mm below tops.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing to think about here is the "pinch", When the sticks are brought together to increase height the rifle will be pinched and if the crux is not far enough from the top you may find there's not enough left to suport the rifle properly. The distance from crux to the ground should err on the long side because if splayed to go down there will be no pinch.

I know it's each to their own but i'm a lover of quad sticks (or in my case quin sticks). I've tried two sticks and I've tried a camera tripod with a "U" on top which I like but it's still not as stable as quad sticks. That's not the only reason for my liking my quin sticks. They are a doddle to make cheaply and by adding an adjustable fishing rod rest to a back leg they make my shooting so much more enjoyable and practical. I use an Archer add on and the sticks take all the weight whilst I swivel on one leg (no not me you jokers) for spotting. To do this the rod rest is closed and I hold it and the leg whilst turning. On finding a target I can shoot as is or I can extend the rod rest which after a small amount of faffing puts the cross hairs spot on and all I have to do is pull the trigger. When the fith leg is deployed the rig is free standing which leaves the rig pointed at the target whilst I take off the bag, change mags, clean lenses etc. After the shot I can go find my rabbit without having to worry about putting the rig down safely and if I have trouble finding it my rifle is still pointing at it.

Sorry to go on guys but I love my sticks so much.

My sticks are about 59 inches from the ground to the crux and I'm about 5ft 10inches.

Here's abad pic

westmoor28th%20june%202016%20002.jpg